I'm obsessed with food today! A Chicken recipe I love

rhearob
on 6/25/12 7:28 am - TN
I thought I had to go somewhere tonight but don't so I get to cook instead of having a quick bite out the door.  So I am going to make one of my favorite recipes - Chicken Breast Taco Meat

Heres what I do - take two chicken breasts and run them through the food grinder like beef.  I marinate them for 30 minutes or so in a spice blend, then brown them in a skillet just like ground beef.

I have a cup of a second batch of my spice mix disolved in water.  After the chicken is done, I add this to the skillet bring to a boild and then let simmer down covered for about 30 minutes until most of the mixture is reduced out.  Voila- Beautifully seasoned yet healthy taco meat.

In a pich if you dont want to use your own spices you can just use taco seasoning from the grocery store or the old el paso stuff.

Heres what I put in my spice mix:

1 part garlic powder
1 part onion powder
1 part crushed red pepper
1 part dried organo
2 parts paprika
6 parts ground cumin
4 parts sea salt or kosher salt
4 parts black pepper

I put all of that in a mortar and pestle and grind it together.  You can put it in a coffee grinder or spice mill or other mechanical choppy thing if you like.  If you base this on a 1/4 teaspoon measure it makes about an ounce of seasoning.

Enjoy! 

VSG: 11/2/2011; LBL+Thigh Lift+BL: 10/3/2012; Brach+Mastopexy:  7/22/2013

pinkpeonies
on 6/25/12 7:42 am
VSG on 04/23/12
I know what I'm doing for dinner tonight.

Have to battle traffic and get home first, of course...

LilySlim Weight loss tickers

5/27/14 - Extended abdominoplasty with hernia and diastasis recti repair

12/20/14 - Breast reduction/mastopexy with bra line back lift

EliseG
on 6/25/12 8:42 am - MA
Watch out for the motorcaid! Traffic was a ***** in those areas.

Italian-Princess
on 6/25/12 7:46 am - IL
VSG on 06/28/12

YUMMMMMMMMMOOOOOOOO!!!

I pulled out chicken breast for dinner and wasn't sure how I wanted to prepare it tonight.......now i know!  And I just picked up some fresh romaine lettuce that I can use as the "tortilla" -- I can still have real food until tomorrow afternoon, so thank you for the excellent recipe.  Looks like my little VSG recipe booklet will have a separate Rhearob section filled with your good ideas. 

I love to cook, too, and have started getting into VSG mindset this past week.  What a great Chemistry Lab a kitchen makes  LOL

Ree

rhearob
on 6/25/12 7:57 am - TN
 My husband is a professional chef (well, technically still a line cook - but close enough).  In ten years or so we want to open our own restaurant.  After my experiences with this we have the idea that we want to offer restaurant quality meals with a baraiatric friendly twist on them in healthy portions.

Since he cooks for 8 hours a day I have been doing most of the cooking at home lately.

When I get to maintenance I have developed a recipe for protein fortified pasta I am dying to try out.  If it works I should be able to make a fettucini Carbonara this fits into a minatenance diet with 32 g of protein per serving and about 300 calories.

EliseG
on 6/25/12 8:40 am - MA
I would totally go to a restaurant like that, just sayin

Do you have any recommendations for a brand of food grinder? Is the spice mix dissolved in water what you marinate the chicken in? Thanks!

Italian-Princess
on 6/25/12 8:57 am - IL
VSG on 06/28/12
If you weren't already taken, I'd ask you to marry me!  But I'd have to get rid of the spouse I have now...............got any ideas??? LOL LOL LOL

I've already been playing with recipes handed down from my Southern Daddy -- all about Creole and Cajun foods and my Italian heritage foods on my mother's side.  It's the darn pasta that presents my problem.  I can get the other ingredients to be bariatric friendly.   So far, two tablespoons of brown rice just about makes it for the creole and Cajun.  Will be researching pasta alternatives.  And, maybe I should get back to making my own pasta with high quality, high protein flour.  I've also heard that mesquite pods are high in protein. 

With surgery only 2 days away, I won't be munching a bunch any time soon, but I want to be prepared when I will be allowed to. 

Anyway, since you aren't available, I'll just have to bide my time waiting for some more marvelicious recipes from you 

Ree
Shagdoll
on 6/25/12 7:55 am
My mouth is watering, that sounds yummalicious!!

Jenn  

WWBD?  

tripmom02
on 6/25/12 8:03 am - NJ
 YUM, I make something similar only it has cinnamon in it. Now I am hungry! 

Tonight we are having chicken with walnuts in a raspberry balsamic sauce, with fresh string beans.

Courtney - Lap band to VSG revision

rhearob
on 6/25/12 8:11 am - TN
 oooh that sounds good.  I am looking forward to re-introuducing nuts here soon.  I especially miss tree nuts.

I had a big old butternut tree in my yard when I lived in Connecticut.  It produced massive ammounts of nuts every year.  I would use them in cooking and people could never guess what they were.  They guessed everything from pine nuts to walnuts.  Never guesed id pick them up befor mowing so they wouldn't destroy my siding LOL.

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 68 views