Family being so negitive....venting!!

Angelicashearts
on 6/26/12 11:47 am - NV
VSG on 11/14/12
So I went out of town last week for a graduation, and at the dinner table i told some of my family that I was considering WLS, and let me not forget my sister's best friend is a personal trainner: I had gotten some of the most negitive support ever, they said, work-out, eat right, work harder at the gym, count your calories blah blah blah!!!! OMG I was so upset, as my mom has given me support all along she continued to tell me to do what I wanna do, she knows that I have always been over weight and that its a struggle for me. My sister's friend offered to help, but what good is that gonna do if I live in NV and she lives in CA.
On the bright side I meet with my surgeon today, things are looking good, im still on my 6 month supervision by my PCP, I felt very confident when I left his office, I know that this is what I want and need, so I will continue with my mind set on what I want, not what others think. 

mama2girls
on 6/26/12 12:00 pm
That sucks, that's y only three ppl know and the only one I'm related to is my husband. I just could not be judged one more time. Good luck and don't let them get u down.

HW:409  SW:328 CW:185-190 GW: 190, lowest wt:165;

GS Surgery date 8/9/11

Body by Sauceda born 12/9/16

"I'm working on myself, for myself, by myself"

Angelicashearts
on 6/26/12 12:07 pm - NV
VSG on 11/14/12
Thanks, I was excited to tell them thinking i was gonna get some support.
Maryann20
on 6/26/12 12:07 pm
VSG on 08/07/12
I know how you feel my familys still trying to talk me out of it but now that my surgerys coming up they are accepting it and by that I mean now they just try to avoid talking about it & when they do its a story about a random person they heard had it & a horrific story always follows in hopes to scare me out of this decision. I never let it bother me none of them understand what it feels like to really struggle with their weight. I say do what you want in the end your the only one who will live with the consequences of your actions. good luck to you !
BETHC500
on 6/26/12 12:46 pm

I just love those wonderful horror stories... what a wonderful way to support a person... Would they do the same thing to someone who was going to have cancer surgery, or knee surgery, etc... no  they think its ok in this situation because they condsider this "elective" or something...  Just wait til you talk about plastic surgery... all those lovely stories are nice too... some people need their head examined...

morgans
on 6/26/12 12:14 pm
VSG on 06/18/12
My sister is a yoga instructor with her own studio. My other sister lost a fair amount of weight by "diet and exercise".  My mom's never struggled with her weight.

I didn't tell them until the deed was done, but I've gotten nothing but support.

Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose. Sorry you're getting the usual blah blah blah from folks you count on.

Advice: Let it go. Do your thing. Be stoked for yourself.

kfrain07
on 6/26/12 12:36 pm - Fredericksburg, VA
 I'm right there with you! I'm scheduled for surgery on Monday and it's super hard not having that support. I'm so sorry! Keep your head up:)

HW: 248 SW: 240 CW: 210
BETHC500
on 6/26/12 12:42 pm
I did the same thing, years ago when I was thinking about the lap band. And what a disappointment.. the sort of shamed me into not doing the surgery then. I went forth and worked ou****ched my calories, worked out some more... etc... I lost 133 lbs and wow everyone was so proud. But then I hurt my back and boom the weight started piling back on... where were all those walking friends, people who were gonna help... blah blah blah... no where to be found. Everyone has an opinion as long as they do not have to actually help.... I gained 91 lbs back and then had to have back surgery. where were they when i was recovering and depressed...  you guessed it not around...  So this time, when I was considering the surgery... I told no one except my boyfriend who helped me so much and gave me all the support I could ask for.  And now all those people like to congradulate me for losing weight again "on my own" and how good I look etc...  Make your own decision, only tell those who will absolutely need to know. Don't listen to the naysayers and the doom tellers... Do what your heart says you should... you life, your health, your decision... in the end no one else can do it for you so your opinion is all that matters...   Good luck, you can do this, and those of us here on OH can give you support, advise, informed opinions etc...  and then you decide what is right for you

pudgypants
on 6/26/12 12:44 pm
Very unfortunate....my surgeon gave a stat that 98% of people that try to lose weight in the conventional way, will gain it back....that right there is the reason you need to do it. Keep it up...don't worry about blah, blah, blahers.

I am going to FIRE LANE BRYANT!!!     

VSG: 12/10/12  HW: 247   SW: 226   CW: 205.6  GW: 150 

SassyItalian
on 6/26/12 12:48 pm - Basseterre, St. Kitts and Nevis
Sweetie, in one ear and out the other. People will ALWAYS have something to say, usually its uneducated and negative.

If it were up to my family and their influence in regard to my surgery, I would still be 260 pounds and miserable. This is why we have free will.

Let them sip on their haterade, you know what is right for you.

And in 6 months you can smile and show them who knew best.

HW: 258lbs  SW: 240   CW: 140  I am 5 foot 7 and 30 years old               
                 VSG 12/21/10  Plastics: Tummy tuck, breast lift, and augmentation 11/3/11
                                             Soon to be veterinarian!! xoxo

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 66 views