excess skin......

amberk82
on 7/8/12 6:33 am
I am almost down 100 lbs---has anyone lost this much weight and not had skin removed? Is it normal for me at 138 lbs to look at myself like I am still the same 234 lb chick I was less than 8 months ago?? I see myself and I am happy, but, I still feel like I am fat?!?!? WTH??? I think its just because I have a little skin..and dont get me wrong--its not that bad at all..I mean I have had 3 kids as well..I guess I just keep thinking of what I could be like if I was to get the skip removed? But cant afford that anytime soon :( I thought me working out would tone it up a  bit--is this true?? Advice needed Please!!

justeric78
on 7/8/12 6:39 am, edited 7/8/12 6:40 am - Houston, TX
Its funny I just brought this up on the maintenance board. I lost 200 lbs and I know that my only option is PS. You feel as if you are not quite done yet. I had to force myself to quit losing because I felt I needed to keep going cause I still have all this skin. I have started the process to have insurance cover some of it. If that does not happen then I will self pay when I am done with my masters in about a year. I want to feel finished! I am sure I will never be exactly what I want but man not having that skin hanging off me would sure help! GL to you I know exactly what you are going through and wish I could make the feelings go away.../hug

amberk82
on 7/8/12 11:07 pm
thanks--It makes me feel a little better knowing I am not the only one that feels this way.

acbbrown
on 7/8/12 6:39 am - Granada Hills, CA
 It's normal. Trust me, I am thrilled to be down 220+ lbs, but it's very difficult for me to grasp the concept of being thinner because i still have all the hanging skin. It's a daily battle, but I just have to constantly stop and remind myself of the alternative (ie living with fat filled skin vs deflated skin). 

www.sexyskinnybitch.wordpress.com - my journey to sexy skinny bitch status

11/16/12 - Got my Body by Sauceda - arms, Bl/BA, LBL, thigh lift. 

HW 420/ SW 335 /CW 200    85 lbs lost pre-op / 135 post op

~~~~Alison~~~~~

amberk82
on 7/8/12 11:04 pm
you are so right! I need to make that my daily motto! I would much rather have this little bit of skin than go back to being fat and unhealthy! 

moonglo82
on 7/8/12 6:42 am
VSG on 03/29/12
Working out will help to build muscle under that skin, giving it more to cling to, so it won't look quite as droopy (this is what Dr. Aceves told me), but nothing can completely prevent the loose skin. Supposedly, it does rebound a little over a year or so. I've heard that some surgeons want you to be at goal for a year before you consider plastics for this reason, but don't quote me on that, because I'm no expert.

As far as feeling like you're still fat, I think part of that is because our brains take a while to catch up to our bodies.

For example, last week while I was on vacation, my husband and I went hiking. I was miserable by the time we got 3/4 of the way to the end of the trail, and people who were on their way back down started stopping to tell me that we were "almost there" and to keep going. It embarrassed me, because I thought they were doing this because I looked fat and out of shape. The fattie in me was assuming that I was being judged, even though I'm well under 200 pounds now and have been for a couple of weeks.

Then when we got to the end of the trail and turned around, I found myself doing the same thing to other people... I would tell them they were almost there when I saw someone who looked like I had felt earlier. But then I realized those people weren't fatties. Most of them looked like they were in pretty good shape. So... why was I so quick to assume I was being judged for my weight, when others were just as tired as I was?

Bottom line: my brain has not caught up with me yet. It still thinks I'm 60 pounds heavier. If that makes sense.

Sorry to ramble... but even though I'm nowhere near the loss you are at, I know how you're feeling. I can't afford skin removal either.

Highest weight: 277 Starting Weight: 250  Surgery Weight: 241  Current Weight: 130

Goal Reached in 10.5 months :)

amberk82
on 7/8/12 11:03 pm
It does make alot of sense....you see yourself for so long as a fat person and you lose the weight so fast and by the time your almost at goal, your brain is sitll back on the mushy stage.

RyanJS
on 7/8/12 8:00 am - CA
VSG on 02/21/12 with
We all have had or still have that feeling of being fat even when we really are not anymore. I am down about 170lb's down from my heaviest weight and still feel like that sometimes. I do have a little excess skin it is pretty minimal though and people laugh when I show them because they say its so little. I have found that doing weights at the gym has helped build muscle and tighten up the loose skin area's. I am also fortunate to have good genes and young but I hear that many people find the skin shrinks after about 12-18 months. Get a personal trainer for 3 months and tell them what your goal is and they will help work those areas to build definition in those areas.

Personally I probably don't need PS but may consider it to tighten up any little amount that strength training does not resolve.

Best of luck to you! Just remember you have done amazing.

Heaviest Weight: 330 Goal Weight: 175 Current Weight: 150
"Hit Goal in 3 1/2 Months!!!"
"Nothing is impossible. The word itself says I'M POSSIBLE!!!"
"No one said it was going to be easy, but it will definitely be worth it"

amberk82
on 7/8/12 11:06 pm
I have been going to the gym--I just joined a couple weeks ago--I will def look into someone helping me with what I am wanting to do!

Marie M.
on 7/8/12 12:03 pm - PA
Hi Amber,

My one and only complaint about my sleeve is the excess skin left behind.  I agree with Alison--i do remind myself that it is better than the fat that was there, but it still looks gross.
I've lost 118 lbs. and in clothing, I look quite thin.  If you saw me naked.....horror show!!  My butt is a flat wrinkled mess, my thighs look like I melted--full of cellulite and loose skin, and I have major bat wings.  The ONLY thing I don't have is a panni.  My abdomen has decently firmed up--no idea why.
  I agree with the other posters.  Most PS want you to be at goal weight for a year because apparently the skin can tighten up a little and redistribute itself.  Also genetics and youth are big.  I 'm 50 so I doubt my skin's gonna be doing much tightening up.  I'm still undecided about whether I'll pursue PS but I do know that I am a heck of a lot healthier and happier at this weight, saggy gross skin and all, than I was 118 lbs ago!

Good luck  :)
Marie

Age: 50    Ht: 5' 3.5"    SW: 261   BMI: 45.5    CW: 119.4   BMI: 20.8   Goal in 9.5 months   (23.6  lbs below goal)   Total lost:  141.6 lbs   Inches lost:  84.25"
  Month one: 22.2 lbs;  Month 2:  17.4 lbs;   Month 3: 11 lbs;  Month 4: 13 lbs;  Month 5: 11.4 lbs;  Month 6: 9.2 lbs;   Month 7: 13.2 lbs;  Month 8: 9 lbs;  Month 9: 10.2 lbs;   Month 10:  3.6 lbs:   Month 11:   7.6 lbs   Month 12:  5.8 lbs                                    

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 93 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 317 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 363 views