Shout out to Frisco/ Also I need some help

Tirza T.
on 9/4/12 11:37 am
VSG on 01/17/12

First the good news. I really appreciate Frisco and all of his posts. I have always read them although I may not have always listened to his advice. I was going through  a really slow period in my weight loss and I noticed my restriction was not what it once was. I was capable of eating a 7 ounce steak plus two sides of steamed veggies in a resturant. So  I went back to the basics for almost two weeks and I started to weigh and measure again....a la Frisco's advice to under eat my sleeve. Well people, it certainly works. I went from maintaining weight some weeks to losing anywhere from 0.5-1 pound other weeks. I lost  combined total of eight pounds in the last two weeks.  Another great thing that occured from following this advice two weeks ago...I just ate a four ounce griled, lean chicken breast on top of 2 cups or romaine lettuce a 1/4 cup raw onions and 2 small roma plum tomatoes with vinegar and seasoning. Ugh by the last bite my stomach was hurting slightly. My restriction is back in full effect. 2 weeks ago I could have eaten double of that.

Now for the help request.  I have been having major issues of weakness in my chest, light headedness and the feeling of fainting, numbness in my left hand and arm and a rapid heartbeat. I was told my electrolytes were probably low. I went to my doctor last week and she removed me from my last BP med (I am no longer on prescription medication). So I figured low BP may be the answer. However, the symptoms are worse and happening more often. Although I am happy to report 6 full days off of the meds and my BP is averaging 115/75 which is great. I have now learned my sugar and potassium are low. I need to add more carbs to my diet. I was staying within 45g of net carbs and now I was told to increase this. I am worried that my weight loss will slow or stop, but I am also worried that if I do not do this I will never get better and damage my health. How many carbs do you all eat and still lose weight every week? Does anyone do 70g of net cards and still maintain a weight loss weekly?

Female, Height 5'6"
HW&Surgeon Consult Weight: 330 lbs. SW: 294 CW:
sleevegirl
on 9/4/12 11:46 am - Austin, TX
First off... I hate when Frisco is right. ******* ;)

But really, undereating is one thing I try to live by too. Obviously, I don't know how much to eat so I let my doctor and diet plan tell me. Am I 100% perfect? Yes, I am. I allow myself concious choices from time to time. My "plan" is 90% of those "perfect" days and 10% that I let myself go over a few hundred calories. BUT that is ME and what works for ME. Everyone is different. I never eat more than 4 oz of meat in a sitting, usually it's 2-3.

Anyway... your question. I get lightheaded on a regular basis as well. It goes away if I hit 100 carbs or have some sugar. I talked to my doctor and nutritionist and they all say "up your carbs to 150 ad calories to 1300" but that brings out the snack monster. I've never fainted and I'm careful to get 35-50 so that it's not really bad. I just get a little lightheaded or a little black around the edges if I stand up too quickly. I'm just careful and frankly I hope it will go away in maintenance.

That is ME and how *I* deal with it and how MY body reacts. Everyone is different and you obviously don't do what I'm doing and ignore medical advice ;)

Candy from Austin, TX  |   Website  |  MyFitnessPal  |  My OH Blog

5'6" / HW 375 / SW 355 / CW 150 / Maintaining 155-159 - Goal Reached! 225 Pounds Lost

Tirza T.
on 9/4/12 11:54 am
VSG on 01/17/12

Thanks for your input I really appreciate it. Today I maxed at 58g of net carbs and I hope I feel a little better. Because just like you said....I would rather wait to deal with the carb monster in me at maintenance. Thank Goodness that is 27 pounds away. If you are getting in 50 and that seems to help, I am going to try that out first and see how my body reacts.

Thanks again for your post.

Female, Height 5'6"
(deactivated member)
on 9/4/12 12:53 pm
I had a lot of light headedness and dizziness during WL, too. It didn't really bother me because it wasn't horrible, but it was frequent. I wasn't taken of my BP meds until just before I hit goal basically. Going off the BP meds didn't do anything for the symptoms. I think what really helped was the combo of going off the meds and gradually upping my carbs and calories in maintenance.

I'm still adjusting to maintenance and honestly I have not found my groove. I'm working on it. I generally stay between 60 and 80 carbs per day - mostly from yogurt, milk and veggies. I can't imagine eating 150 carbs at this point. Funny how we change, isn't it!
emelar
on 9/4/12 2:44 pm - TX
There are CARBS and there are carbs.  Try sticking with the "good" carbs - veggies, dairy, fruit (in moderation) and you may not have any problems with the carb monster.  I eat between 50-100g of carbs a day - just not bread, rice, pasta - and do just fine.
Tirza T.
on 9/4/12 4:26 pm
VSG on 01/17/12
 thanks for the advice emelar!

Female, Height 5'6"
hollykim
on 9/4/12 6:09 pm - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
are you getting 64 oz of liquid a day? Not getting *at least* that much liquid a day will make me feel that way.
GL

frisco
on 9/4/12 7:25 pm

So glad I could be of help...... but yah know it's not really me.....It's my surgeon and his guidance, my support group "All Stars", and some really knowledgeable folks here and not here anymore.

The concepts are pretty simple which makes life a lot easier to follow through.

As per your request..... you really have to work that out with a doctor to get your levels proper.

I'm on a Potassium Supplement........

The numbness in your left hand and elevated heartbeat raise some flags. Please get checked out.....

It could be as simple as your body just adjusting to a lot of new things to some major imbalance.

It would be wise to adjust your carb intake to your sugar levels till you get settled in...... than re-evaluate. Try eating clean carbs and see how it goes.....

frisco

SW 338lbs. GW 175lbs. Goal in 11 months. CW 148lbs. WL 190lbs.

" To eat is a necessity, but to eat intelligently is an art "

VSG Maintenance Group Forum

http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

CAFE FRISCO at LapSF.com

Dr. Paul Cirangle

stephintexas
on 9/4/12 8:58 pm
SHUTUP! Really??? OK.. I want to understand this because my dr. (God bless his heart) scoffed at the notion.

So you began measuring your food (prior to cooking or after) and you were eating ...3-4 ounces? And you regained some restriction? I want more details! :)

Sorry I have no idea on the rest.  I hope you figure it out though!

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 61 views