What do you all have in common

Living4MyBabySon
on 9/6/12 12:11 pm - CA
VSG on 12/17/12
 I just wanted to ask all the people who had a smooth and problem free experience the first couple of months after surgury. What exactly did you guys focus on? What did you make sure you did and didn't do? I want to see if you all did something in common so i can make sure i do it or not do it when my time comes..
I pray that i have a smooth experience. 

Thanks for all the valuable info everyone. 

Hope you all have a great day
red42897
on 9/6/12 12:15 pm
VSG on 08/20/12
 What's a smooth experience? If you mean pain and that kind of thing I really don't think there is a darn thing you can do. But maybe you mean something else.

HW:280 SW: 259 CW: 181.2

Living4MyBabySon
on 9/6/12 12:28 pm - CA
VSG on 12/17/12
 I mean like barfing, the "foamies" and pain. Vitamins, protein intake,and excersise. What was your routines? 

I know everyone is different but what dis you do that worked for you?

Thank you
rhearob
on 9/6/12 5:34 am, edited 9/6/12 5:34 am - TN

I basically did everything my surgeon and support staff told me to do:

1.  Went to group - the first one after I was released

2.  MEasured all of my portions

3. Logged everything

4.  Stuck to the plan

5.  Walked several times an hour - even if it was just a short distance.

6.   Did my incentive spirometer for the first week after surgery faithfully.

THE only thing I did differently than my plan was liquids.  By mistake I jumped directly to full liquids and skipped clear.  I drank my Body Fortress Whey Protein shakes (made with water - not ice or any thickeners) from the day I was discharged.  I am not recommending that - but it was something I did in the spirit of full disclosure.

Also, on day 6 post op I stupidly shot a teaspoon of Balsamic Vinegar while making DH a caprese salad. After being in agony and retching for half an hour I decided to never be stupid again.  I could have caused a leak and made myself much sicker.

Best advice my surgeon gave me when I disclosed to him the next day - Don't be stupid.

I threw my pain meds away two days after being discharged from the hospital.

VSG: 11/2/2011; LBL+Thigh Lift+BL: 10/3/2012; Brach+Mastopexy:  7/22/2013

favrow812
on 9/6/12 1:44 pm - Olathe, KS
VSG on 02/20/12
Rhearob,

LOVE the new avatar! I haven't been on in a couple of weeks so sorry if I'm a little behind.   :)

There is only one success--to be able to spend your life in your own way.

chiefsgirl3
on 9/6/12 1:03 pm - IL
VSG on 06/05/12
 I have had absolutely no problems. I followed my doctor's orders and diet to the dot. I feel blessed to have been so lucky to have not had even the reflux or nausea!  Good luck!

Italian-Princess
on 9/6/12 1:21 pm - IL
VSG on 06/28/12
Hi,

My experience was good.  No trouble at all.  I took 2 doses of my at home pain meds -- 1/2 dose each of my first two nights home, then got rid of it.  I stuck to my surgeon/nutritionist plan TO THE LETTER.  I'm 10 weeks out today and I have not deviated from the plan even the tiniest bit.  I have not had foamies, nausea, urping, vomiting, nothing at all.  The only thing that happens is if I start to eat too fast, Myrtle (my sleeve) gives me the hiccups......that's her warning to me and I sow down.  I respect her, treat her like a fine piece of china and she returns the favor by allowing me to enjoy the small amount of food I eat each day.

The best tool I had going into this surgery was a hugely positive attitude.  To me, this was a celebration...........something that had the potential of making my comorbidities become less a part of my life.  So far, so good on that score.  The only thing that I had a bit of trouble with were the two extra incisions I had for an umbilical hernia repair that was done at the same time as my sleeve.  They'd get a bit twingy and pinchy now and then.   

I probably had a big advantage in some ways about this surgery.  I've had so many surgeries during my 65 years that I knew what to expect, knew how to move to keep discomfort at a minimum............and I forced myself to walk and sip as that was the only way to get rid of the gas. 

One thing that is vital (and something I do not have at all here at home) is support and encouragement.  This site is amazing -- the people here couldn't be kinder and more helpful. 

So, my two best suggestions are to have a very positive attitude and find support to help you through the times when things seem a little odd or peculiar or difficult. 

I wish you the very best..............an easy and quick recovery........and much success as you travel this journey to a healthier, happier life.

Ree
Cinderella50
on 9/6/12 4:19 pm - NY
VSG on 08/29/12
 What are the "foamies"?

(deactivated member)
on 9/6/12 5:52 pm
It's when you eat too much or too fast and the food fills up your sleeve and then the saliva that is naturally produced to help digest your food has nowhere to go, but up into your mouth.
Some people get a frothy sort of thing going on that just keeps coming and coming and coming. Others, like me, get more of a drool thing going that keeps coming and coming and coming. Only thing you can do is spit and wait for it to pass.

I got it at about 4 months out when I was cleared for raw veggies. I ate 3 baby carrots. Big ASS mistake. Had the foamies for 45 minutes. The carrots were too difficult for my sleeve to deal with after eating my protein and just filled my sleeve to capacity.

Learned my lesson! (Okay, I did have them one other time, but it lasted 5 minutes and to this day I do not know why I got them that time so I don't really count that time! It was a FLUKE! LOL! )
Cinderella50
on 9/6/12 5:56 pm - NY
VSG on 08/29/12
 Thanks. I don't want that!

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 68 views