5 months out and have 9 lbs to get to goal

Steven S.
on 9/24/12 8:31 am, edited 9/24/12 8:33 am - MA
VSG on 04/12/12
I'm 5 months out.  Everything has been fantastic.  LOVE my sleeve and wish I had done this years ago.

I have 9 lbs to go to get to my goal weight of 170 lbs.    For the past month I've lost basically a 1 lb.  These last 9 lbs are going to be tough.

Any advice on how to jump start the weight loss again?

I workout 5 days a week, eat 1000 - 1200 calories per day.

happiegirl
on 9/24/12 8:36 am - Albuquerque, NM
VSG on 04/24/12
Great job!!! : ) I think what most people say is true with the weight loss.  You have to cut the carbs down to under 40 and calories around 600-800.  Still if you don't mind losing more slowly you could eat a bit more.  It doesn't seem like your having a problem.  You really have done a great job!

HW: 351 Pre-op: 272  Current: 140.7 Goal:160      M1:14 M2:14  M3:11  M4:10 M5:10  M6:12  M7:8  M8:6 M9: 6 M10:7 M11: 6 M12: 4 M13: 5 M14:7 M15: 4 M16: 3 M17: 1   M18: 4

"Glory lies in the attempt to reach one's goal and not in reaching it." - Gandhi

Spankylou
on 9/24/12 8:56 am - TX
 Here is a Tip from my last support group, Over comming Stalls..  "you need to shock your body by modifying your workouts, either work out more ofter, longer, or change the types and intensity of your workout.  Also start journaling and logging your calaries in and calories out.  Be specific start measuring your food portion size (true portion size is usually smaller than we think)  To lose one pound you have to burn 3,500 more calories than you take in.  I hope this helps and wish you well, it is probably stuff you already know, but since it was  our last support group topic, it was still fresh inmy mind!  GOOD LUCK and HANG in there!!!
econtiff
on 9/24/12 8:57 am - FL
VSG on 04/24/12
I'm at 5 months out and still at about 800 calories per day, also working out 5 days per week. So maybe just by reducing your calories again and focus on getting your water in everyday? I'd like to say I know the answer because I know the weight will slow down. I still have 30lbs so I'm nervous as to when it'll happen!
1london
on 9/24/12 9:26 am
First of all CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!  You have done a tremendous job with your sleeve!
I agree with counting the carbs (under 40) and calories (staying around 800)  to jump start weight loss, also adding some interval training in your exercise routine can give you an added boost too!
But- you are doing great and I don't think you have a thing to worry about!
Best wishes on your continued success! :) 

rarejem
on 9/24/12 2:53 am - WA
VSG on 04/09/12
Congrats on the fabulous job!

I'm in the same boat as you, 5 1/2 months out 8 lbs to goal. I've found that as I've gotten close to goal my weight loss has slowed too. I've hit a couple of stalls, but this is different. So, I've asked my docs support group for help.

Here's what they came up with and it has been working for me:
1. Change up the exercise routine. Your body becomes used to your routine and learns to conserve.  I usde to swim 1625 meters (1 mile) 3 days a week, and do pilates along with my active work. (I'm a landscape designer and estate gardner). I now swim 2000 meters (1 1/4 miles), do pilates, and added a swing dance class once a week. Sometimes I change the swimming to 2 days at 2000 meters, 1 day at 1000 meters. On the 1 day I plan my client's work and do a lot of yard work for about 4 hours.

2. Up your calories. I know it sounds counter intuitive. I was at a 700 avg. I now try for 900-1000. At the 700, my body was trying to hang on to anything it could. I need less as a female, men need more.

3. Drink more water! I do mix Isopure 0 1/2 & 1/2 with water for my workouts and I add protein to my water when I'm working. Need to protein so I'm not eating up muscle.

By doing the above, I was able to lose 2lbs in less than a week. Of course I still track my food and activity. I use Loseit.com. I find it easier for me than fitnesspal. It has an app that allows me to scan bar codes with my phone and it automatically syncs with my computer. I can run reports that show all my nutrients, calories and calories burned and compare them to see what's working and what's not. We're all individuals and what works for some, may not work for everyone.

I'm hoping to reach goal by my 50th birthday on Oct. 13th. We'll see what happens as I will be traveling out of counrty for 3 weeks. At least one week of it I'll still be able to swim laps in the cold pool at the hot springs!

Good Luck and let me know what works for you.

HW:265, GW:165  CW: 164 Goal reached in 7 months.  

rhearob
on 9/24/12 3:24 am - TN

Congrats!  You look great.

Those last pounds are a ***** for everyone.  July was like that for me - I was used to losing 11-15 lbs a month and then BAM!  Nothing.  I declared goal at 190 and started trying to maintain.

Now I am at 182.

If you want to jump start the weight loss, make sure you are getting enough water - more than enough. Also since you are already eating what was a maintenance level of calories for me, you may want to try dropping your calories for a bit to 800 or even 600, and see if that jump starts things.  Basically, just shake it up.  Your body thinks it has reached homeostasis.  Tell it its wrong.

VSG: 11/2/2011; LBL+Thigh Lift+BL: 10/3/2012; Brach+Mastopexy:  7/22/2013

christinahelena
on 9/24/12 3:29 am - CA
You already got the great advice, just wanted to chime in and say, Congrats..you look fantastic. Way to go!!
Christina
Pobearsam7
on 9/24/12 3:42 am
Wow you look great!!!!

Kelly                

Steven S.
on 9/24/12 3:51 am - MA
VSG on 04/12/12
Thanks everyone!! I appreciate all the help and support!!!
Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 92 views