Cheese curds

Keywester
on 9/24/12 3:29 am
VSG on 12/05/12
Has anyone used them as a source of protein in the early or later stages?
rhearob
on 9/24/12 3:32 am - TN

Only in the form of fat free cottage cheese.

Cheese is an excellent source of protein.  The only thing you want to be sure of is that you are using low fat cheese.  Also, be conscious of the calories and know what you are eating.  You have to eat mindfully.  The cheese is also a wonderful source of calories - so a small amount can add up quickly and get you nowhere near your protein goal.  Do the math and log it before you eat it.

And I assume you mean ACTUAL curds as in the form of coagulated milk protein and not the breaded and deep fried appetizers.  The latter is a definite no-no.

VSG: 11/2/2011; LBL+Thigh Lift+BL: 10/3/2012; Brach+Mastopexy:  7/22/2013

Shagdoll
on 9/24/12 3:36 am
When I think of cheese curds, I think of those yummy deep fried ones. Definitely not good during the weight loss phase. Maybe try a cheese crisp made with parmasean cheese? Even those I have to limit because I am a cheese freak. Sometimes I am better off not eating cheese at all. Cheese is a slider for me!

But like Rob said, lowfat cottage cheese is great. Lowfat cheeses are great too. I actually found some ultra thin cheddar & swiss deli slices at 4o calories a slice. Sometimes it's easy for me to have someone else do the "portion control" for me.

Jenn  

WWBD?  

mauigirl2
on 9/24/12 9:55 am - kihei, HI
I like those cheddar cheese crisps with a piece of pepperoni on them as a snack... easy in the microwave,but I have to be careful too... addicting.

Feystorm
on 9/24/12 3:45 am - CA
VSG on 03/14/12
 I don't eat them that much out here in Cali.  But when I visit WI (where my extended family is) I do eat my cheese curds.  They are yummy.  But as with almost all my foods, I measure out my portion and stop there. :)

HW:242 Start of Preop Diet:  217  SW:200 CW:116.8 GW: 115;  SOCAL MEETUPS GROUP!:  http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/socalhallo2012/    

Amy 2bhealthy
on 9/24/12 3:46 am, edited 9/24/12 3:48 am - STL Metro, IL
VSG on 09/13/12
Fresh Cheese Curds?

They are really high in calories and fat and don't have the corresponding protein along with it. But I love cheese...can't wait to be able to have a LITTLE bit!

Amy

Revision: Realize band to VSG....loving my sleeve!! 

Keywester
on 9/24/12 3:52 am
VSG on 12/05/12
Yes they are fresh cheese curds.  Not breaded or fried, they squeek when you chew them.  I read they have like 28 grams of protein per serving.  But were high in fat.
Amy 2bhealthy
on 9/24/12 3:59 am - STL Metro, IL
VSG on 09/13/12

This is the info I found for 10 small pieces. This was the Crystal brand which is popular in Wisconsin I think, but I know they are sold here locally. Hope that helps!

Calores: 110

Total Fat: 9g

Sat. Fat: 5g

Trans Fat: 0g

Cholesterol: 30mg

Total Carbs. 0g

Dietary Fiber: 0g

Sugars: 0g

Protein: 7g

Calcium: 200mg

Amy

Revision: Realize band to VSG....loving my sleeve!! 

dr_spatula
on 9/24/12 1:23 pm
VSG on 07/27/12
Hmm, that's not too bad. The only cheese I allow myself (other than The Laughing Cow light wedges) are Polly-O/Kraft Mozzarella cheese sticks. They're 80 calories, 6 grams fat, and I think 7 grams protein. They don't squeak as nicely as cheese curds, though.

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 61 views