Gas pain/pressure

jenneferlm
on 9/27/12 1:07 pm - TX
VSG on 09/21/12
I am 6 days post op and am having major issues with gas. I have been taking gas x which helps a little but there is still quite a bit of pain/pressure. I asked my surgeon about this and he just said I must be taking in too much air when I drink but offered no additional afvice. Any one have any suggestions? Please and thank you!

Calking
on 9/27/12 1:23 pm
VSG on 05/31/12
Too much air when you drink.  You aren't using a straw right?  And you aren't drinking any carbonated beverages so we can rule these out.  The only other thing is to make sure you are sipping slowly while drinking. 

My surgeon tells me that while your system is getting used to a different kind of diet you might experience extra gas.  This could be it.  I have noticed that I personally get worse off the longer or more I walk.  If I am on my feet all day ... there should be nobody within a 50 mile radius cause I am about to blow something major.

I had someone suggest taking probiotics with digestive enzymes to help with this.  I picked up the brand Spring Bounty Multi-Enzyme Digestive Formula at Walmart.  That has helped somewhat along with gas x.

Bottom line is I am having issues at three plus months out and don't have any real solutions.

Isn’t it a bit unnerving that doctors call what they do their “practice”?  -  George Carlin             

jenneferlm
on 9/27/12 1:35 pm - TX
VSG on 09/21/12
Great, so it doesnt get any better! lol No i am not using a straw or carbonated beverages, jus****er and protein drinks. Maybe i just need to try even smaller sips. Thanks for the advice.

Calking
on 9/27/12 3:02 pm
VSG on 05/31/12
I am sorry to have left you with that impression.  My surgeon did explain to me that eventually your body will settle into this new way of life and there will be relief.  

I was hoping to check back on this post and see some thoughts on improving this situation.  I am so looking forward to working a full day without worrying about blowing up the neighborhood or providing more gas than the local gas station does in a week.

Isn’t it a bit unnerving that doctors call what they do their “practice”?  -  George Carlin             

lucy2e
on 9/27/12 11:49 pm - Laurel, MD
I'm over a year out and had bad gas issues early out - and they did last awhile, but they change over time.  For me gasX chewables worked better than the meltaways.  

My best advice is to SLOW DOWN, small sips, and plenty of walking.  Walking really helps move the gas once it is in there.

Know that it does get better! 

Lucy  (Imma Loser!)
  LilySlim Weight loss tickers                  
HW 335 SW 311 CW 181.2 -- Goals:  Twoderville - 6/7/11, 280 - 7/1/11, 260 - 8/1/11, 240 - 10/30/11 Centry Club - 11/22/11, 220 - 12/27/11 Onederland - 5/25/12, 180 - , 170 (surgeons goal) -  
We shall see where this leads...  

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 72 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 269 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 329 views