6 months and low BP, any advice?

elaine-is-ready
on 9/28/12 12:27 am, edited 9/28/12 12:40 am
VSG on 03/19/12
Hi.
I'm a bit over 6 months out and loving my sleeve. I've been losing about 8 lbs /month average since surgery and while a bit impatient, slow is better than no loss.

In the last week or so, I started getting dizzy, light-headed, headachey, blurry vision, and lethargic--in general, just feeling lousy. I got my blood pressure checked and it has been ranging from 92/58 down to 84/50. My electrolytes are normal, and my PCP said to increase sodium and drink gatorade, thinking it might be hypoglycemia, but my fasting sugar level was 87, so not it. My normal blood pressure is 120/70 and I"ve never been on any blood pressure meds. Also not dehydrated. 10-16 cups of water/broth/tea per day.

I'm going to see her again shortly, but I wondered if anyone else had had weight-loss induced low blood pressure and what happened. Did it go away when your body adjusted? Have to start medications? (Florinef is the likeliest, but it is a type of steroid, so a bit counter-productive to weight loss, darn it!)

I had a similar problem with low blood pressure a few years ago when I lost 30 lbs on low carb dieting, so I'm not too freaked out about it, but I want my energy back!
Any input would be appreciated. Thanks

HW= 305        pre-op wt loss= 35 lbs
VSG date: 3/19/12
tlpldy
on 9/28/12 12:45 am
Do you take any prescriptions?  Some scripts can cause low BP
rhearob
on 9/28/12 1:55 am - TN

Definitely talk to your PCP.  Let her run your labs check your vitals and suggest a course of treatment.  This is something that a lot of us deal with especially during weight loss.

VSG: 11/2/2011; LBL+Thigh Lift+BL: 10/3/2012; Brach+Mastopexy:  7/22/2013

elaine-is-ready
on 9/28/12 7:11 am
VSG on 03/19/12
No scripts that affect blood pressure. I only take vitamins/minerals and generic Zyrtec every day.
My PCP is sending me to a cardiologist to get a Holter monitor. I'm also doing a self-test for thyroid before asking her to order labs for that. Taking temp 3 days as soon as I wake up, before lifting head. (Not sure how many days that will actually take cause I'm so not a morning person)

ERnurseMN
on 9/30/12 7:46 am - MN
I am 4 1/2 months out and having the same problem. Low BP and bradycardia (slow heartrate). My BP is 90/50 and my resting heartrate is about 48. I get lightheaded a lot especially if I bed over. I haven't passed out yet but that could definitely happen. I have talked with my NP at the bariatric clinic who passed the buck to my PCP. I saw her on Wed and she didn't say much except starting a med to increase my heart rate. I suppose I will see a cardiologist if my symptoms get to bad. I am feeling very sluggish also.

So right now I am just being careful and trying not to bend over

CW 232 SW 219    m1-17 m2-14 m3-13 m4-6 m5-9  
happyteacher
on 9/30/12 8:36 am
 I have identical issues and was told the same thing.  There is a difference when I drink at least 32 ounces of Powerade zero, and I can feel a difference when I forget to do that.  If I let myself get a little dehydrated it is worse too.  About 2 weeks ago I was unable to get off the operating table (outpatien, getting skin cancer removed) due to this- so I feel your pain.  Track your carbs carefully and blood sugar levels and use diet to manage that carefully.  If you are one to try to stick to the uner 40 carbs mentality that is so prevelant here I am going to strongly encourage you to see your nutritionist- it was so much worse back when i was trying to do that.  I eat 6 times a day and alternate 15 and 30 net carbs at the meals, and that along with the powerade does the trick.  Only thing is, I have no clue how much worse you are then my sitution.  Our blood pressure is similar (I can be a tad lower) and it has been a while since I have taken a fasting blood sugar so no help there. 

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

elaine-is-ready
on 10/3/12 1:51 am
VSG on 03/19/12
 Thanks for the response.  I've been eating extra carbs, and don't know if that helped or my body is adjusting already.  I'm all the way up to 98/60!!  All of my labwork came back normal, including thyroid, so I guess I'll wait and see.  

furrynana
on 9/30/12 8:49 am
I've had weight loss induced low blood pressure since I've first tried to lose weight.  The process of losing weight lowers your pressure.  It will probably even out some once you stop losing. 

These are my suggestions after dealing with it for 15+ years, but the best information obviously comes from your doctor.   The best solutions are slow weight loss that allows your body to adjust gradually, full test Gatorade, and tomato juice or V8 when you feel weak.  You probably feel best laying down, but the more you remain prone, the lower your pressure can stay, so try to keep moving if you can. 

I think the medications are a last resort if you're not able to function after trying other things.  I've been told that the medications can have a lot of serious side effects, so I've never wanted to try them.  Also, make sure your iron gets checked.  Anemia and low blood pressure often go hand in hand.
elaine-is-ready
on 10/3/12 1:56 am
VSG on 03/19/12
Thanks for the response.   I'm feeling better after a week of sheer blahness and dizziness.   I'll try the V8 and keep moving.  Making myself exercise was the only time I felt normal while my BP was low.  Since all my labs came back great except my albumin, I'll just see what happens (and eat more protein).