Is it just me - Can't find any good tasting protein drinks.

PBJ
on 10/8/12 1:23 pm
I too had  a hard time with the protein at first...the one and only brand that I could tolerate let alone like was pure protein...and I only liked the premade ones.  Yes they are more expensive than the powder but I just couldn't do the rest.  I have recently put on a few lbs and wanted to get back to basics so I started doing them again for breakfast and love them still..but only ice cold.  Keep them in the refrig and I put them on alot of ice. I really like them.  I am a chocolate girl so I get chocolate but they have other flavors too.  I get them at trader joes or target.  Trader joes has 2 different grams of protein so be careful..one has 21 grams and one has 35 grams.  I would get the bigger amt of protein since you really need the protein.  What I do is if I have it for a meal..I do 35..and if for a snack I do the 21. 

hope this helps.  hang in there...it gets so much better!

Patty
My weight loss journey                                                    
Paisleysmommy0119
on 10/8/12 1:27 pm
VSG on 07/26/12
 I too like the pure protein cans. 170 cal 35 protein for the chocolate one. It's the only flavor I've tried but I have one everyday for breakfast. I have tried LOTS of protein powders/drinks and this is by far my favorite. It's very thin and reminds me of a chocolate yahoo. 

Aussie_in_India
on 10/8/12 1:44 pm - India
Hi - I use an EAS chocolate powder, but add a tsp of decaf coffee, which cuts the sweetness so it is manageable - good luck, Jo
julyxo84
on 10/8/12 1:44 pm - Pembroke Pines, FL
 Premier Protein Chocolate RTD shake is the only one I can tolerate, I like it! And it has 30g of protein!!!
 [ Hi, I'm stefanie, I'm 28 years old and 5'3'' ]

califsleevin
on 10/8/12 2:15 pm - CA
I like the EAS chocolate powders as its flavor is fairly delicate, and it can then be boosted by adding some unsweetened cocoa powder to boost the chocolate flavor while cutting the sweetness (or one can use on of the SF chocolate syrups if one wants it sweeter.) A drop or two of peppermint extract can also be added if one is into chocolate mint.

1st support group/seminar - 8/03 (has it been that long?)  

Wife's DS - 5/05 w Dr. Robert Rabkin   VSG on 5/9/11 by Dr. John Rabkin

laroc33
on 10/8/12 6:18 pm - CA
VSG on 09/01/12
I like to blend my whey protein vanilla flavor with frozen/fresh strawberries or/banana. Try different fruits.
(deactivated member)
on 10/8/12 6:42 pm - CO
VSG on 09/20/12
Almost 3 weeks post and can not do ANY sweet protein drinks. Not now, maybe that will change in the future. 

I have found that mixing up some FF milk a little bit of low/FF vanilla yogurt (or greek yogurt with a few drops of vanilla extract) and some of the unflavored unjury works. I even throw in a few ice cubes to make it slushy like. It goes down like this and I use the least amount of milk as possible (maybe makes a 6 oz drink). This way it is not sweet and if I need it sweetened just a tad I have total control over that.

I also keep a 1 scoop of unflavored unjury protein powder in a cup with a tablespoon and add 1-2 tablespoons to everything i eat, by the end of the day that's gone. Be careful of hot stuff as protein gets lumpy in hot stuff.

Also, google ways to make the shakes without protein powders, there are loads of things you can add depending on your plan...flax seed, certain fruits have protein and add natural sweetness, cottage cheese, tofu I hear is a good one.

~Cheers

Trlme123
on 10/8/12 8:10 pm - Oswego, NY
 I began the ready to drink (RTD) GNC shakes, LEAN SHAKES, they come in 3 flavors, van, choc, and strawberry.  I realize that everyone has personal taste preferences, but these are really good to me and I can actually get them in.  Good luck!

Pura Vida
on 10/8/12 10:48 pm - Costa Rica

(From Vitamin shoppe or Amazon)

Nectar Chocolate truffle, first mix one scoop with 2oz room temp water, mix it well, then add 2-4oz ho****er for a hot chocolate, or you can add coffee (or decaf) for the warm water, this will make it not very sweet mocha.

I am almost 4 yrs out and have had this 3x a day for yes...4 yrs!

Heather

shekicks
on 10/8/12 11:45 pm - Dallas, GA
One thing that worked for me early out (and I didn't like too sweet either) was sugar free Carnation Instant Breakfast with some powdered milk mixed with it and water. The dry powered milk upped the protein plus cut the sweetness

5' 0"              HW-207 / SW-194 / CW-132/ GW-125             57 years old!

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 72 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 266 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 327 views