New sleever, sore from IV??

fear_of_grace
on 10/11/12 4:42 am - TN
VSG on 10/08/12
 My abdomen is still sore of course, but what is surprising to me is that the arm where my IV was hurts just as much or more! 

My Iv was put in on top of hand and went in at first stick.  I had it out yesterday and ever since a couple of hours afterwards, my arm has been very sore.  It feels like the tendons are all very tight, from the base of fingers to my elbow!!!
I talked to  a nurse on the phone today and she said that as long as the original IV site wasn't red or swollen it's normal.  She also guessed that they might have hit a nerve or a tendon.  

Just curious if anyone else went through this! It's such a weird feeling because my pain meds don't touch it! 

Month 1: -27 lbs Month 2:  -9 lbs Month 3: -11 lbs Month 4:-10 lbs Month 5: -8 lbs

Month 6: -8 lbs Month 7: -5 lbs Month 8: -9 lbs  Month 9: -2 lbs Month 10:

Keith L.
on 10/11/12 4:44 am - Navarre, FL
VSG on 09/28/12
My IV (in my hand) was still sore 10 days post op and if I rub the location now it is still a bit tender.

VSG: 9/28/2012 - Dr. Sergio Verboonen  My Food/Recipe Blog - MyBigFatFoodie.com

?My Fitness Pal Profile ?View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com

skinny cat
on 10/11/12 4:49 am
VSG on 01/08/13
I've had IVs in my hand in the past and they are usually sore for a week or two afterward. Just keep an eye on it for redness or swelling. If that happens, call your doc. Especially if you see a red line heading up your arm.

fear_of_grace
on 10/11/12 5:06 am, edited 10/11/12 5:06 am - TN
VSG on 10/08/12
 Thanks guys! I can be a real worrywart sometimes, I don't know what I would do without this community!

Month 1: -27 lbs Month 2:  -9 lbs Month 3: -11 lbs Month 4:-10 lbs Month 5: -8 lbs

Month 6: -8 lbs Month 7: -5 lbs Month 8: -9 lbs  Month 9: -2 lbs Month 10:

Amy 2bhealthy
on 10/11/12 5:08 am - STL Metro, IL
VSG on 09/13/12
Yes, I had 3 IV spots and 2 of them were a little sore for a while, maybe 1 week or so. The 3rd one bruised really badly and at 3 weeks postop was still very solidly bruised and 4 weeks postop is still a faint bruise.  I am sure the soreness will subside very soon. As long as it isn't red or weeping or anything, I would think it just needs time to heal.

Amy

Revision: Realize band to VSG....loving my sleeve!! 

MuttLover
on 10/11/12 5:55 am
VSG on 11/14/12
I am a "hard stick" so I frequently have soreness and bruising from IVs or blood draws -- one thing I do that seems to help (of course it could be all in my head!) -- I have small ice packs with those little beads in them.  I keep those in the freezer, and toss on on the back of my hand or wherever for a little while. 

Maybe that will help.  Best of luck!
Applebottoms14
on 10/11/12 9:08 am
VSG on 09/14/12
Hello,

Congrats on your surgery and I had the sam thing with my IV. I am 27 days post-op VSG and it's all better. A little sore if I bend over too far and deep. But overall feel great.
   Try warm compress to the site alternating with cold compress. That should help relief some of the discomfort!! I am a nurse too.

Having issues with getting liquids and proteins in. MAJOR adjustment and really nothing prepares you for this. Good luck and hope to see you around the forum/message board.

~YvesMarie~

jjldh_va
on 10/11/12 11:56 am
VSG on 10/09/12 with
My surgery was Tuesday.  My arm is sore from my IV... I have a nice scab too.  The last medicine they put in my IV really hurt, so they stopped and moved to liquids and sublingals. 

~JJ~    Surgery w/ Dr. Alvarez on Oct 9 2012  ~ HW 300?? ~ SW280.0 ~ CW 217.6

katier825
on 10/12/12 11:48 am
 There are a lot of nerves in the hand, hence the sensitivity.  The last one I had was the best ever, not a bit of pain nor bruising.  I've had several different surgeries in my lifetime and it was the ONLY IV that didn't hurt!   Jus****ch for swelling or redness.  It will be better in a few days.
Most Active