Remember - there are no silly questions- so here goes . . .

Ohiogirl
on 10/21/12 10:22 am - OH
VSG on 10/02/12
 Yes the 300 cal per meal seemed like a lot to me too - course the fage yogurt meal has only 150 and when I experiment a bit more with pureed chicken and tuna- I will try to stay between 600-800 cal per day.  I've only started on pureed but I have read enough here to know to try to stay below 800 cal and 40 carbs per day.  If I do start with coffee and tea - can only be decaf - otherwise I will be bouncing off the walls, lol.  I like the sound of 4-5 smaller meals per day but my NUT and program are definitely against snacks or anything more than 3 meals per day.  Always confusing to me why there are so many differences between programs.  Thanks.

Paula

ordinarybeauty
on 10/21/12 10:17 am
VSG on 09/27/12
I am adding Beneprotein powder to my meals (sprinkling it on top of whatever I've pureed) to get my protein up to 60 grams per day. I ordered it online and find that it tastes fine and is a low calorie way to get my protein in.

Ohiogirl
on 10/21/12 10:24 am - OH
VSG on 10/02/12
 I'll have to check into that - I just can't stomach the unflavored unjury protein in food - I think it is just the idea.  I do fine with the Unjury choc and vanilla.  Thanks.

Italian-Princess
on 10/21/12 10:17 am - IL
VSG on 06/28/12

Hi Paula 

First of all, I'm not a vet at this point -- only about 4 months out, but I think I can offer some help -- hope so anyway. 

I don't remember how far out you are -- I'm thinking maybe 3 --4 weeks or so????  One of the things that I was told by both my surgeon and my nutritionist is that the numbers they give are guidelines, totals to strive for......they aren't cast in stone at your stage.  My guess would be that they don't want you slugging down a chocolate milk shake or a glass of sugared iced tea -- things like that.  I can't imagine you'd be denied a splash of milk in your coffee or tea, or a sugar-free popsicle. 

So early out, I didn't get in all 64 ounces of fluids a day -- and I sure wasn't getting 80 grams or more of protein.  That took me a few weeks longer -- and I'd supposed that's true of most people.  When a tummy is so new, it just can't accommodate that much food at one time.  If  you aren't  allowed any snacks, I don't know how you'll get all your protein in other than with a protein shake.  

I don't know what kind of protein shakes your drink, but I was able to include my shakes as part of my 64 ounces (Minimum) of fluids.  That helped a lot.

Do the best you can to meet the guidelines.  As your tummy heals and all the swelling goes away, you'll be able to eat a bit more each meal and then it will be easier.
Hang in there -- it really does become easier!  I promise  

Ree

Pinkchickadee
on 10/21/12 11:17 am
 I start purees on Friday and I can't even imagine trying to ge 3/4 cup of anything into me!  Also my Nut says I have to have 2 cups of skim milk per day. Getting the  protien in is  tricky.  Getting it all in is  at this point.  I hope you get some good advice!

Starting Weight:275 CW:189 SW:??  Goal:169

Ohiogirl
on 10/21/12 11:29 am - OH
VSG on 10/02/12
You have to remember that my 3/4 cup of chili was about half liquid since I had to purée it to applesauce consistency per NUT 's instruction. I have to say I was full. The hardest part for me is getting the 64 oz if liquids in. I do not like to drink constantly. Now that I am to have 3 meals - that's 1:45 min of no drinking time 3 times a day. 15 before and 1 hr after and 1/2 hr allowed for meal - really cuts into liquids time. Still have to get 20 oz in tonight - ughhhh!!!

Wildcat-NYC
on 10/21/12 11:42 am
VSG on 08/16/12
 3/4 cup even mostly liquid is a lot...during soft/puréed stage I was drinking 2 shakes a day and having 1/4 cup of yogurt or cottage cheese.  This early out you'll definitely need to supplement with shakes.  As long as the Popsicles fit in your calorie plan for the day, you should be fine...

Tracker starting weight = surgery weight    
Ohiogirl
on 10/21/12 11:46 am - OH
VSG on 10/02/12
I wasn't given any directions as to how much I should be able to hold - just to stop when full or at 1/2 hr alloted for meal. Not a lot of guidance on amount.

Wildcat-NYC
on 10/21/12 12:26 pm
VSG on 08/16/12
So many different plans...my doc was very clear about portion sizes, ccalories, carbs, ect.  I'd be nervous to test my sleeve's fullness.  It can take a few months for the suture line to fully heal.  

Tracker starting weight = surgery weight    
jacreasy
on 10/21/12 11:47 am
VSG on 04/23/12
 at that stage my doc was more concerned about getting in the protein.  Yes you can still have SF Pops and milk if its part of your protein shake.  I would be drinking a glass just to drink at this stage.  I was and still am doing 600-650 cal, under 4 grams carbs, 20-30 grams of fat per day.  I have a cup of coffee every morning and 8 oz of 50/50 OJ but I'm also 6 months out.  Did you receive some kind of book from your doc with each stage and what to eat??

(VSG)  HW, 346 SW, 341 CW 176.2 GW, 165  kiss

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 72 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 269 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 329 views