Just got done with my full liquid/semi liquid 3 days - gained a pound!

Ohiogirl
on 10/21/12 1:42 am - OH
VSG on 10/02/12
 I'm only 19 days out - supposed to start purees today - looking forward to actually eating something with a little substance but I am so disappointed that after my 3 semi liquid days - I have gained a pound - the scale is going in the wrong direction!!!  And yes - I keep track - all my days so far have been under 600 cal, 65-75 gms protein, 60-75 oz of liquids and under 60 gm carbs (my NUT said to not worry about carbs yet but I do- since I know others' experience on OH,  so I have only ventured above 45 a couple times).  I had lost 23.5 lbs since surgery day but now back to 22.5 - no pre op diet.

I'm wondering if my purees will continue my gain.  The only rules re: cal, protein, carbs - is 3 meals a day, no calorie liquids in between - each meal less than 300 cal and at least 20 gms of protein.  I'm thinking 20 gms of protein is going to b ehard with the amount I will be able to eat.  Going to do Greek yogurt first with some SF FF pudding mix and extra milk.  Not sure what's for lunch or dinner.  Thinking maybe some canned chicken pureed with some light mayo and maybe some Wendy's chili pureed (but I don't think that will meet the 20 gms of protein in the amount I can eat).  I don't really like cottage cheese, or ricotta cheese or most cheeses - I even have a hard time with yogurt - not a dairy person.

Any suggestions???   I can't do any exercise yet but walking per PA and I need both knees replaced so can't do much walking either but I try to walk around the house every hour.

Thanks for your help - and yes, I know I shouldn't be a slave to the scale but i do weigh every morning just to check like so many others do.

Paula 

beckyinkc
on 10/21/12 1:55 am
VSG on 07/25/12
My advice is to not sweat that pound.  As a woman, your hormones can play hell with all of this.  It could be water retention or still a bit of residual swelling. 

I weigh every morning as well because I want the data points, but if you do that, you can't freak out about the fluctuations, because they'll happen.  You've been doing fine, and your numbers look pretty good to me.  I don't think this is cause for alarm yet!

I don't like yogurt either, by the way.  Ick.  However, I loooooooooove cheese, so that made it a little easier for me (yum, yum, cottage cheese).  I know you said you don't like ricotta cheese, but you might give Eggface's Ricotta Bake a try.  I mostly tasted the marinara and spices in it, and it's a good mushy food.  And you could always do a protein shake for breakfast (or whatever) to keep the levels high.  Can you stomach the unflavored protein powder mixed into stuff?  If so, start mixing that into things.  I found it completely impossible to get my protein in without protein powders before I was on solid foods.

Good luck!!

Ohiogirl
on 10/21/12 2:53 am - OH
VSG on 10/02/12
Thanks for your help. I mixed up the fage yogurt, 6 T milk and 2 T sf ff cheesecake pudding mix - - not bad but sweet - couldn't eat all of it in my half hour limit - I am full. You may be right - might use a protein shake for breakfast in the future. Going to be hard to get my liquids in since I have to wait an hour after eating before drinking. Just a whole new learning curve for sure. I do have the unflavored protein powder but hard for me to stomach it mixed into food. Hopefully I can get enough protein in with puréed chicken and the chili. NUT says 50 gm protein enough for puréed stage (10 days) but I hate to decrease from my 65-75 I have been getting).

slimpickins5280
on 10/21/12 2:54 am, edited 10/21/12 2:57 am - CO
2 cups (16 oz) of water = 1 lb.
3500 calories = 1 lb

Which one seems more realistic on 600 calories a day?

Sounds like water retention to me.

This too shall pass.

VSG 10/18/11      If you don't like the road you're walking, start paving another one.-Dolly Parton

Ohiogirl
on 10/21/12 3:39 am - OH
VSG on 10/02/12
Sounds reasonable, lol. Thanks!

Antimony40
on 10/21/12 3:41 am - VA
VSG on 12/06/12 with
OH needs a like button!

HW 286.7--SW 264.4--CW 184.2  M1-24.8//M2-14.8//M3-7.6//M4-10.0//M5-3.8//M6-8.4//M7-6.4//M8- 4.8//M9 +1

fear_of_grace
on 10/21/12 5:05 am - TN
VSG on 10/08/12
 Thank you! This is logic at it's finest! I need to tape this next to my scale!

Month 1: -27 lbs Month 2:  -9 lbs Month 3: -11 lbs Month 4:-10 lbs Month 5: -8 lbs

Month 6: -8 lbs Month 7: -5 lbs Month 8: -9 lbs  Month 9: -2 lbs Month 10:

lucy2e
on 10/21/12 3:02 am - Laurel, MD
Sounds to me like you are an over achiever and decided to hit the 3 week stall a little early!

You are fine, you aren't doing anything wrong - your body is just taking a breath to recover from the rapid weightloss it just did.  

When calories are reduced, your body gets energy from its stores of glycogen, which are carbohydrates in your muscles and liver. Glycogen holds onto water, so when it's burned, it releases water and causes a loss of water weight. University of Illinois Extension states glycogen is the first to go with weight loss.  (from the live strong website).

Now your body needs to replace the glycogen - which mean retaining more water - so you get the stall and even sometimes a slight gain.  When you body gets all the glycogen levels back up, you will do the quick drops again.  The most important thing is don't panic and stick to your plan!

I do suggest taking measurements - even when your not losing - you will see that you are losing fat and changing your bodies shape in very positive ways! 

Lucy  (Imma Loser!)
  LilySlim Weight loss tickers                  
HW 335 SW 311 CW 181.2 -- Goals:  Twoderville - 6/7/11, 280 - 7/1/11, 260 - 8/1/11, 240 - 10/30/11 Centry Club - 11/22/11, 220 - 12/27/11 Onederland - 5/25/12, 180 - , 170 (surgeons goal) -  
We shall see where this leads...  

Ohiogirl
on 10/21/12 3:40 am - OH
VSG on 10/02/12
Thanks for taking time to reassure a newbie !

Keith L.
on 10/21/12 3:17 am - Navarre, FL
VSG on 09/28/12
 Lots of things you can try. Try using Almond Milk for your protein shakes instead of Milk. And personally I feel that carbs to matter at this stage you should not be drinking like regulart gatorade its loaded with sugar, you should be drinking G2 or Vitamin Water Zero, stuff like that. If you are drinking sugary drinks you are just mainlining calories into your body. 

Calories are important but where the calories come from is more important. Right now you want your calories coming from proteins and fats, not sugar.

That being said, 1 lb is nothing at this stage. Don't sweat it.

One more thought, I know a lot of nutritionists say to eat Wendy's chili in a pinch, but there is still a lot of not so good stuff in there. Chili is very easy to make and much healthier because you can contol the ingredients. Use some low fat beef or better yet buffalo. Some tomato sauce, garlic, chili powder, beans, etc. There are lots of good and easy recipes online, check out http://www.skinnytaste.com and here is a recipe i got in my email yesterday:

http://www.anaboliccooking.com/blog/meat/the-musclecooks-chili/

Yesterday I made some beef stew and some mashed potatoes and I blended some of the stew and put it over the mashed potatoes. It was great.

If you make the food yourself you can control what goes in it and it gives you something to do instead of sitting around wanting to eat something. 

VSG: 9/28/2012 - Dr. Sergio Verboonen  My Food/Recipe Blog - MyBigFatFoodie.com

?My Fitness Pal Profile ?View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com

Most Active