Hurricane Sandy-need help with emergency food choices

Lexie 84
on 10/27/12 12:34 pm - Washington, DC
VSG on 03/13/12

Im n the DC area in fear of this storm headed our way...most things i eat r fresh meats n yogurt that stays refrigerated. What emergency foods can i get to sustain me if we loose power? The DC area looses power whenever there is bad weather n its common for it to be out for days and even weeks. I dont want to be snacking on junk and eating processed foods. Ive never thought about this before. Everybody stocking up on bread, crackers, etc. i refuse! I dont know what i am going to do. Ill try n get a cooler if i need to store some yogurt n milk for protein shakes...but this may turn out to be a hott mess!

ArmyWife29
on 10/27/12 12:46 pm - GA

Hi lexie, I gave some advice below...but I'd you can fill all of your Tupperware with water and freeze then, the blocks of ice should keep your fridge cold for several days, ours lasted about 5 with minimal opening of the fridge during that time.  You can also buy canned stuff (chicken and tuna) to help get you through as well.  Make sure to pickup some big jugs of water if you can, and use it for mixing up protein shakes.  Almond milk is shelf stable until you open it as well, so you could get some of that too.  Ready to drink protein shakes might not be a bad option either.  Also protein bars could also be a temporary food supplement too.  

Ht 5'4HW 232  GW 138

Vicki J.
on 10/27/12 12:46 pm - VA

I'm in the same boat!  I live in the Norfolk/Virginia Beach area in southeastern Virginia and tomorrow and Monday promises to be not so much fun.  Hubby and I went to the grocery store yesterday and I had a terrible time trying to figure out what I could eat that didn't need to be refrigerated.  I loaded up on canned chicken and tuna as well as low carb tortillas!  I also bought some powdered milk so I can make protein shakes if need be (I'm over a year out so I know I can't live on protein shakes alone for several days but would do for one meal a day).  I also have Kashi cereal which doesn't seem to be too bad if eaten in small quantities.  It's not my ideal snack idea, but desperate times call for desperate measures!

Good luck to you and yours during all of this mess!!

Vicki

SD: 07/07/11     Height:  5'9-1/2"     SW: 283     GW:  170     Current Weight:  167

stephanieplum
on 10/27/12 12:58 pm, edited 10/27/12 12:58 pm
VSG on 06/27/12

What about beef jerky, nuts , peanut butter, canned/ packet  meats, cheese sticks, protein bars, bottled water ( can you make shakes with water and a blender bottle?)  Hoping the storm is not as bad as they say. ...good luck:)

pcannedy
on 10/27/12 2:27 pm - Sacramento, CA

sugar free applesauce containers, ff puddings, cans of tuna, string cheese, vienna sausages, peanut butter smooth, wheat thins, reduce fat, and oranges/apples.  I am praying for all to be safe.

cajunlady1958
on 10/27/12 10:27 pm - Broussard, LA
Revision on 12/30/15
Here is what I did when hurricane issac came through louisiana. I had shelf stable protein shakes, protein bars, beef jerky, tuna in a pouch, nuts, peanut butter, canned fruit, and lots of water. Also I had some isopure on hand just in case I wanted something fruity. Hope this helps.

You survived what you thought would kill you. Now straighten your crown and go forward like the Queen you are!

lucy2e
on 10/27/12 10:40 pm - Laurel, MD

Hey - I'm up in Laurel, so I'm in it with you.  I keep canned soups, canned meats (I can't do tuna - seafood allergy), nuts, jerky.  Also have in the pre-made protein shakes from Costco. 

Lucy  (Imma Loser!)
  LilySlim Weight loss tickers                  
HW 335 SW 311 CW 181.2 -- Goals:  Twoderville - 6/7/11, 280 - 7/1/11, 260 - 8/1/11, 240 - 10/30/11 Centry Club - 11/22/11, 220 - 12/27/11 Onederland - 5/25/12, 180 - , 170 (surgeons goal) -  
We shall see where this leads...  

Pobearsam7
on 10/27/12 10:45 pm

This is what I have I'm in nj, pb2, protein bars, julian no carb bread, protein shakes, and I'm going to have some boiled eggs too...so I'll be able to get my protein in too.., plus I buy 5 cases of water every 2 wks...I also have pork rinds I know disgusting but no carbs and they have protein

Kelly                

MeeMiss75
on 10/28/12 5:20 am - Katy, TX
VSG on 06/12/12

All good grocery suggestions. Be safe up there! Praying for everyone affected. I'm in Houston, so it could have been us. Take care!

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 97 views