Suggestions for a 12 hour drive and what to eat.

Calking
on 11/17/12 8:28 am, edited 11/17/12 8:58 am
VSG on 05/31/12

I am going to be a passenger for a 12 hour drive.  The current plan is that we drive and only stop for gas or bathroom breaks.  Whatever is around at that time is what we will be eating.  My friend is used to McDonalds and I hate McDonalds and most fast food places.  I am thinking that I might need to pack something to bring with me for the whole trip.  I already plan on bringing a Quest Bar and that should help with part of the trip.  Any ideas of what else I can bring.  The only other thing I should mention is that I am not a cook and not good at cooking.  Usually I survive on microwave, George Forman grill, or whatever I can pop into a toaster oven.  Since I will be in the car for 12 hours, I am not sure that I would want to have a lot of things that might need to be kept cold.  

Any ideas for eating on a long road trip would be appreciated.

I should mention that I plan on having a protein shake prior to the trip for breakfast and that I am more than 5 months post op and on solid foods.

Isn’t it a bit unnerving that doctors call what they do their “practice”?  -  George Carlin             

charjp
on 11/17/12 8:37 am - galesburg, IL

I take string cheese, protein powders and bottles of water.  If we stopped at McDonalds, you could get oatmeal.  Most of them also carry lite lemonade.

Calking
on 11/17/12 9:01 am
VSG on 05/31/12

Great ideas.  I plan on bringing powerade zero for drinking and having a protein shake for breakfast before leaving so I am thinking I will be needing some solid food ideas.  As for McDonalds I am just not likely to buy anything there as I can't believe there is anything that is healthy from there.  Although the oatmeal idea might be useful.  I could bring my own oatmeal packets and get ho****er somewhere.

Thanks

Isn’t it a bit unnerving that doctors call what they do their “practice”?  -  George Carlin             

mickeymantle
on 11/17/12 8:44 am - Eugene/Springfield, OR
VSG on 07/22/13

chilly in a thermos would be good , protein shake 

Calking
on 11/17/12 9:02 am
VSG on 05/31/12

The chili idea is actually sounding pretty good.  I will keep that in mind.

Thanks

Latse
on 11/17/12 9:02 am
VSG on 06/18/12

my travel go to food is beef jerky, you can find it at any gas station, just get plain cuz all the flavored ones have extra carbs. 

When my only option is McDonalds I get the premium chicken sandwich grilled (hahaha that hasn't seen a grill it's more like poached) I don't eat the bun just the breast, cheese and lettuce.  If it is morning you can order just the round egg w/o ordering a sandwich cost about 45 cents.

Starting/Highest Weight 340, Surgery Weight 306,
Post op:
M1-20lb, M2-14, M3-15, M4-11, M5-10, M6-10, M7-8, M8-4, M9-4, M10-5

Calking
on 11/17/12 12:57 pm
VSG on 05/31/12

Beef Jerky sounds good but it is expensive and most often has MSG so I tend to stay away from that.  I'll keep McDonalds in mind.

Thanks for the input.

pineview01
on 11/17/12 1:31 pm, edited 11/17/12 1:32 pm - Davison, MI

Latse you can order the plain grilled chicken breast at McD.  They have a button to add it to other stuff and it rings it up separate.

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

bigred_z
on 11/17/12 9:05 am - Independence, KY
VSG on 11/16/12

A small cooler w your drinks and a ziplock bag with meat and cheese roll ups.  Ham and swiss or roast beef and american. 

I also like red grapes and sharp cheddar cut into small squares. 

Applesauce cups, fruit cups, yougurt cups.

Sliced up carrots, celery, broccoli, grape tomatoes, w ranch are easily picked up in the produce section. 

Any kind of fruit is portable, apples, oranges etc.  I like sliced cucumbers with salt. 

Nuts, I like pistachios best!

Hope this helps!!  Be safe and have fun!

Lori RN, MS     Band 2/9/07 265lbs    Removed 4/13/12@ 185lbs (slip&erosion) Sleeve 11/16/12@ 225lbs  If I could get as excited about exercise as I am about a Big Mac...Now in ONEderland!!  197.4

Calking
on 11/17/12 12:57 pm
VSG on 05/31/12

Thanks for all the good ideas.

Most Active