Suggestions for a 12 hour drive and what to eat.

Laci M.
on 11/17/12 9:27 am
VSG on 10/09/12

I'm not entirely sure this is a "good" thing, but I picked up a package of turkey jerky the other day. 

Protein 9 grams

Calories 50

Fat ZERO

Carbs 2

I haven't tried it yet, but maybe it could work???

Calking
on 11/17/12 12:58 pm
VSG on 05/31/12

I like that idea.  Thanks.

Isn’t it a bit unnerving that doctors call what they do their “practice”?  -  George Carlin             

Pobearsam7
on 11/17/12 10:08 am

Tuna salad, Greek yogurt. I like cold taco salad minus the shell, pork rinds.... They have no carbs and they have protein

Kelly                

Calking
on 11/17/12 12:59 pm
VSG on 05/31/12

Aren't pork rinds loaded with fat ... I always thought of them as being unhealthy for some reason.  Thanks for the ideas.

Isn’t it a bit unnerving that doctors call what they do their “practice”?  -  George Carlin             

hollykim
on 11/17/12 10:09 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15

single serving cans of tuna even the ones already made into salad,

Chili at Wendys or any other restaurant that has it.

Many Wendy's.mc d chic fila, etc have salads with grilled chicken on them.

jerky,boiled eggs,nuts,extra protein shakes and a shaker which you can always use in a pinch.

cubes/sliced lunch meat and cheese.

Protein bars,extras yogurt cups will last that long in a cool car unrefrigerated.,string cheese will also.

My usual plan is to ALWAYS bring way more than I can realistically eat,even if I am going to the grocery store only. You nevr know when you might be delayed and can't even get to a fast food place.

gL

Calking
on 11/17/12 12:59 pm
VSG on 05/31/12

Some very good thoughts ... thanks.

D. Scott
on 11/17/12 10:43 am
RNY with

Im still pre-op and don't know if you can eat fruits or vegetables but I loved these road trip snacks on this site:

http://choosetothrive.blogspot.com/2011/07/summer-road-trip-1-car-snacks.html

Calking
on 11/17/12 1:02 pm
VSG on 05/31/12

I haven't decided yet whether or not I am still trying to loose weight ... If I am then I wouldn't do the fruits or vegetables too much as they do have carbs and sugars (especially the fruits). 

That is a very good website and certainly will keep it in mind if I decide to up my calories and carbs as I will when I am in the maintenance phase. 

Thanks

lucy2e
on 11/17/12 10:56 am - Laurel, MD

I would suggest bringing a cooler and loading in string cheese, almonds, jerky, yogurt, grilled chicken, deli meat.  You can also bring some fruit.

At McDonalds (or whatever fast food stop) you can get a grilled chicken salad - or if you go to chick-fil-a they have naked chicken nuggets that are awesome.

Have a great trip!

Lucy  (Imma Loser!)
  LilySlim Weight loss tickers                  
HW 335 SW 311 CW 181.2 -- Goals:  Twoderville - 6/7/11, 280 - 7/1/11, 260 - 8/1/11, 240 - 10/30/11 Centry Club - 11/22/11, 220 - 12/27/11 Onederland - 5/25/12, 180 - , 170 (surgeons goal) -  
We shall see where this leads...  

Calking
on 11/17/12 1:06 pm
VSG on 05/31/12

I only have a small cooler and unfortunately I am loading it up with yogurt from Krogers ... the Carbmaster yogurts.  I am going to be out of town and the only place to get these is Krogers and there won't be one where I am going and I have checked those stores and they don't have comparable low carb yogurts.  So it comes down to I haven't got anyway to keep things cool and I really do hate eating at McDonalds so I am in a real bind unless my friend ends up bending a little on where we stop along the way ... which he might do if there is a viable choice nearby where we stop.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 91 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 311 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 361 views