Quest Bars

Christina D.
on 11/27/12 10:16 am
VSG on 08/16/12

Favorite flavors? How do you count the carbs in them? Just the net carbs or all of them?

Amy

Height: 5'4" Current Weight & BMI: 125.2/21.5 Lowest Weight/BMI: 125.2/21.5

Lap Band: 8/13/09 Pre-Op Weight: 245  Weight Lost: 55-60 lbs, band removed 8/2011

Revised to VSG: 8/16/12 Pre-OpWeight: 236 Weight Lost: 110.8 lbs EWL:  121%

Weight Goals: 145 lbs (normal BMI) in 32 weeks. 135 lbs in 37 weeks. 130 lbs in 45 weeks. Fitness Goals: 5 K -- 4 completed in 2013! 10k -- 1 completed 2013! Half marathon -- 3 planned for Spring 2014.

Plastic Surgery: LBL, BA/BL done by Dr. J Barnthouse  9/13.     

Quote: If you find yourself in a hole, quit digging! ~Will Rogers

(deactivated member)
on 11/27/12 12:16 pm
VSG on 06/04/12

I don't care for Quest bars, too heavy for my liking.  As for carbs, I don't count net I count the total amount of carbs which is another reason I don't care for Quest bars, I don't want to use 24 carbs on 1 bar.  When I get a crazy craving for something sweet I get a Power Crunch bar, they have 10 carbs and 13g of protein and satisfy my craving.  It's easier for me to build in the 10 carbs for a day then 24 especially since I'm keeping my carbs under 40.

Calking
on 11/27/12 12:24 pm
VSG on 05/31/12

As for the carbs I always use net carbs for my numbers and have been very successful.  I avoid the Quest Bars that have sugar alcohols so that eliminates some flavors off the bat.

My all time favorite so far has been the peanut butter supreme (make sure you see the word supreme as there is another peanut butter one).  This is great if you like peanut butter.

My second favorite is the vanilla almond crunch.  Yum.

The mixed berry is pretty good as well.  It starts out tasting a little like cookie dough and then has a berry aftertaste.  

I also really like the apple pie (there are two versions of this ... one with and one without sugar alcohol ... I obviously do the one without).  This can sometimes be a little too sweet so I really have to be in the mood for that.

Of course then there is the chocolate brownie which is actually a little better after micro-waving it for about 10 seconds.  Chewy and gooey goodness.

My least favorite of those that are sugar alcohol free is the peanut butter and jelly.  It is OK but kind of weak in both flavors.  I guess it is trying to do too much ... lol.

On a side note the sugar alcohols can have a laxative affect and I if that doesn't happen it can also cause a little gurgling or abdominal discomfort.  

Isn’t it a bit unnerving that doctors call what they do their “practice”?  -  George Carlin             

judyk62
on 11/27/12 12:48 pm - Santa Rosa, CA

I am on a slightly different nutritional path than many of you, in that I have not worried much about carbs. I track all of my food on MFP, so I see how many I eat, but I focus on protein, calories, fluids, and staying away from the white stuff and the carbs tend to fall in line. Having said that I eat a Quest bar every single day and I will be one year out tomorrow. I primarily eat the Chocolate Brownie, but I like the Peanut Butter Supreme and the Vanilla Almond Crunch as well. They satisfy my need for something sweet, give me a great boost of protein, but most importantly they give me a good amount of fiber which is hard to get during the weight loss phase. I would definitely recommend them - I get mine from Amazon.

HW: 284: SW: 274: CW: 152.8. Goal: 159  

elaine-is-ready
on 11/27/12 2:36 pm
VSG on 03/19/12

Hi.

I love chocolate brownie and apple pie.  Usually I have 1/2 a bar as a snack at work.  I'm not as strict on carbs as most people on the forum seem to be, but 1/2 a bar isn't that bad, regardless, and a full bar can leave me feeling rather sick and over-full some of the time.  Getting the fiber is important to me, so I'm perfectly happy eating extra carbs to get it in.  (Lately I've been soaking chia seeds in water to get more fiber, and find I enjoy it, even if it does look like a cup full of fish eggs! --60 calories per tablespoonful of dry seeds and 5 grams of fiber)

I actually like the peanut butter and jelly and cinnamon roll flavors some of the time, but most of the rest don't do much for me.  I started with the variety packs to try them out without getting stuck with too many of a flavor I didn't like.  

I started getting my quest bars at their home website, but get them at Amazon now.  I think Prime membership has free shipping on the bars. Yeah. I just checked.  

HW= 305        pre-op wt loss= 35 lbs
VSG date: 3/19/12
laurak712
on 11/27/12 9:48 pm - New Braunfels, TX

Hi Elaine.  I just saw that you use chia seeds and well, I could use some help with that.  I have a bag and don't really know what to do with them.  Can you tell me the proportions you use to make this drink?  Thanks.

Laura

Height 5' 7

Grantus
on 11/27/12 10:56 pm

I've tried a couple of the flavors. Good protein, a little high in carbs. I think if you don't each a bunch of them a week, but use them as a once-in-awhile meal, they'd be ok.

Grant

Blind_Justice1
on 11/28/12 12:16 am, edited 11/28/12 12:17 am - KY

I absolutely love the chocolate brownie and the vanilla!  The best way I have found to eat them is to put them in the microwave for 15 seconds.  They taste like candy bars.  I don't eat them everyday, maybe 1 per week.  The fiber is helpful tho.  I don't go crazy counting carbs either.  My NUT said that I could still lose weight if I have up to 100 carbs, 80-90 protein and 25 fat.  I have been at a stall for 2 months now, but this morning, the scale finally moved in the right direction!!

Between Click protein powder and Quest bars, I should have stock at Amazon!!  lol

Shagdoll
on 11/28/12 1:28 am

All these posts that mention the Quest PB Supreme makes me wanna try that one.  I have tried a few & they are all pretty decent to me ... Peanut Butter & Jelly, Mixed Berry, & Apple Pie.  I didnt care for the Vanilla Almond Crunch so much but it does seem the more I eat them, the more I like them.

Jenn  

WWBD?  

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 66 views