Question

Marie M.
on 12/8/12 2:25 am - PA

I had a very frightening incident last nite and I thought I'd post and see if anyone has ever experienced this.  I have been on Penicillin for about a week for a tooth infection. I was given Dilaudid 2-4 mg for pain.  I also take Klonopin every nite for restless leg syndrome.

Last nite, I'm having quite a lot of tooth pain, so I took Dilaudid 4 mg along with the Penicillin and my nitely dose of Klonopin.  Just a side note:  I had taken Dilaudid for several months after my knee replacement without any issues.

About 30 minutes after taking the above medications, I had the most horrible, painful stomach pain I have ever experienced.  I was on my hands and knees SCREAMING in pain.  I had no idea what the hell was going on.  I started taking Tums (probably about  6 of them).  I really thought my stomach or intestines were going to explode.  I contemplated calling an ambulance but couldn't crawl to the phone.

It seemed after I had taken enough Tums, the pain started to subside.  Today I feel perfectly fine--no pain whatsoever.  Do you think it was the combo of drugs that caused this?  While recovering from knee surgery,  I took the Dilaudid and Klonopin together every nite so I'm thinking the problem may have been the Penicillin?

Any insight would be appreciated.

Marie

Age: 50    Ht: 5' 3.5"    SW: 261   BMI: 45.5    CW: 119.4   BMI: 20.8   Goal in 9.5 months   (23.6  lbs below goal)   Total lost:  141.6 lbs   Inches lost:  84.25"
  Month one: 22.2 lbs;  Month 2:  17.4 lbs;   Month 3: 11 lbs;  Month 4: 13 lbs;  Month 5: 11.4 lbs;  Month 6: 9.2 lbs;   Month 7: 13.2 lbs;  Month 8: 9 lbs;  Month 9: 10.2 lbs;   Month 10:  3.6 lbs:   Month 11:   7.6 lbs   Month 12:  5.8 lbs                                    

mickeymantle
on 12/8/12 2:32 am - Eugene/Springfield, OR
VSG on 07/22/13

call your doctor or pharmacist  and see if those drugs can be mixed the dentist might not know about the other drugs your on or if your sleeve effects the drugs

Marie M.
on 12/8/12 2:34 am - PA

Great idea!  I'm going to call the pharmacist now. Thanks!

Age: 50    Ht: 5' 3.5"    SW: 261   BMI: 45.5    CW: 119.4   BMI: 20.8   Goal in 9.5 months   (23.6  lbs below goal)   Total lost:  141.6 lbs   Inches lost:  84.25"
  Month one: 22.2 lbs;  Month 2:  17.4 lbs;   Month 3: 11 lbs;  Month 4: 13 lbs;  Month 5: 11.4 lbs;  Month 6: 9.2 lbs;   Month 7: 13.2 lbs;  Month 8: 9 lbs;  Month 9: 10.2 lbs;   Month 10:  3.6 lbs:   Month 11:   7.6 lbs   Month 12:  5.8 lbs                                    

acbbrown
on 12/8/12 3:06 am - Granada Hills, CA

Sounds like my freaking gas pains that are killing me! I almost called an ambulance because of that. 

Sounds like it could have just been some stomach irritation - especially if it is gone now. Definitely check up on the combo, and make sure you take with food. 

Sorry to hear that happened to you -hope you dont experience that again!

www.sexyskinnybitch.wordpress.com - my journey to sexy skinny bitch status

11/16/12 - Got my Body by Sauceda - arms, Bl/BA, LBL, thigh lift. 

HW 420/ SW 335 /CW 200    85 lbs lost pre-op / 135 post op

~~~~Alison~~~~~

(deactivated member)
on 12/8/12 4:21 am

Hey Marie,

That is awful. I'm so sorry. Yes, that happened to me just one time since being sleeved. I wasn't writhing on the floor, but it hurt like hell. I mean so bad I couldn't sleep or even be still. It lasted about an hour or so and then started to get better and I finally fell asleep. I had taken Tylenol with Codeine (liquid form) for a nasty headache. It kicked the headache, but damn my stomach was doing one hell of a war dance. When I woke up the next day, no issues at all. Weird.

Nikke2003
on 12/8/12 5:52 am - PA
VSG on 05/13/13

I haven't had VSG surgery (yet) but I have experience a similar pain before. After having throat surgery a few years ago, I was prescribed antibiotics and codeine.  I didn't take the "Always take medication with food" warning seriously and I thought I was going to die. It was the absolute worst pain I've ever felt anywhere! I was crying and curled up in a ball on my bed until I made it downstairs and forced myself to eat something.  After about 20-25 minutes, it went away. Scary!

For more info on my journey & goals, visit my blog at http://flirtybythirty.wordpress.com

Marie M.
on 12/8/12 9:31 am - PA

I called the pharmacist and explained what I did.  She said it wasn't the mix of the medications---it was taking all of them at the same time.  She actually knew what the VSG was and said a person with a normal stomach would have tolerated that fine, but that it was too much at one time for a sleeve.

So warning VSGer's:  be careful of what medication you are taking, how much of it and TOO much of it.  Like I said earlier, i feel perfectly fine today but last nite I could've sworn my stomach was gonna explode.  Very, very scary...lesson learned

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 73 views