The brief reappearance of Ruggie

ruggie
on 12/9/12 5:38 am - Sacramento, CA

Oh thanks - I'm glad you enjoyed that one, it was one of my favorite posts... it was also triggered a lot of debate outside in other threads.

I think I wrote that on Christmas Eve, and I was sore over being tempted by so much damn food - it was everywhere, and I wanted some!  Everyone at work knew I had weight loss surgery and was around ~100 pounds down at that point, but I still got 6 or 7 pounds-worth of chocolates, candy, and baked goods as gifts.  Good grief.  I focused on the need to get through the season and be successful, and that post was the result.

People opposed to the militant philosophy spoke about "needing to live a little" -- I felt that we'd be 'living a little' the rest of our lives when we got to goal and then could have the occasionally thingy.  And I do that now.  

I think with this surgery and those of us in the weight-loss phase, it's easy to focus on the now (short-term) and lose sight of the later (maintenance).  I tried to remember that most of the rest of my life should be the maintenance phase, not the weight-loss phase, so I was able to stop "living a little" (which grows into a very slippery slope****il I hit goal.  Also, I knew that if I didn't get to goal, I would be pissed off at myself.  Some people have general weight loss as a goal, to be healthier and not obese.  But I had the specific goal of 100% ELS and I wanted to hit it.

Heaviest weight:  310 pounds  (Male, 5'10")

Nancybefree
on 12/9/12 5:34 am
VSG on 11/21/12

Well, nice to meet you.  :)  You had me at  "rude VSG FAQ,"  which I bookmarked so I can read it A LOT.  I come here to learn and keep my head in the right place now that I'm sleeved, so I appreciate your advice and that of so many others on these boards.

Congratulations, and thanks!

5'8"    HRW 357 on 7/09/12    SW 339   >196 8/26/13 (surgeon's goal)   TWL  193     CW   164 

*:•-:¦:-•:*1st pers. goal 178 on 10/16/13; ultimate goal 164 on 12/13/13*:•-:¦:-•:* 

Bella_Fein
on 12/9/12 5:46 am, edited 12/9/12 5:46 am - TX
VSG on 02/18/13

Suuuuuucks that I am so late to the game. Seeing you on the way out sucks. I have looked back and you rock! Seems like several of the "great ones" have the same doctor. Really wish I could afford to take that trip! Damn the luck.

I do have a couple of your posts bookmarked for revisiting.

LilySlim Weight loss tickers

Wildcat-NYC
on 12/9/12 6:32 am
VSG on 08/16/12

I'm not sure if you are self-pay or not, but I decided that on Dr. Cirangle and my insurance paid for my plane ticket and hotel.  I traveled from NJ.  It never hurts to look into it.  He is worth the trip!!!!

Tracker starting weight = surgery weight    
Bella_Fein
on 12/9/12 6:49 am - TX
VSG on 02/18/13

I am not self-pay. I would not be able to afford the surgery without insurance due to some recent traumatic life events. My insurance wont cover airfare or accommodations. The only reason I can afford the surgery itself is because of the generous bonus I get at work in March. I am borrowing money to pay for it in January and repaying in March with my bonus.

OMG!!! Now I'm sitting here trying not to cry really wishing I could!! If I did I would have to put it off until later in the year! I still don't know if I would be able to! Gah!! lol!! How long did you stay in a hotel before you flew back? Did you get there the day of surgery? How long where you there all together? I may be dreaming, but it may be at least something to look at.

LilySlim Weight loss tickers

Wildcat-NYC
on 12/9/12 8:13 am
VSG on 08/16/12

I was in California for 6 days.  I flew in the day before and was in the hospital for 2 nights.  I would have been fine to fly home the day after I was released.  It would probably be 4 days in California at minimum.  I was extremely lucky and didn't have any complications and was able to tolerate water and protein shakes right off the bat.

If you have any other questions, please feel free to PM me.  You should try to contact his office just to be sure.  I didn't even know my insurance would pay for those costs, so maybe they can help you out too...

As long as you are comfortable with your Dr. there's really no need to switch.  Make sure you know the complication and mortality rate, what he considers a success, post-op program (is there a comprehensive food guide, etc).  I had a horrible experience with my first surgeon and there was no way I was letting him operate on me.  When I watched the live VSG that Dr. C did, that convinced me.

Wildcat-NYC
on 12/9/12 6:30 am
VSG on 08/16/12

Hi Ruggie!  Welcome back (even if it is for just a short time)...I've certainly missed your posts around here.  Congrats on all your success.  It's good to hear that at some point I won't feel like a patient...

Wishing you continued success...Stop by and see us more often!!!

acbbrown
on 12/9/12 7:42 am - Granada Hills, CA

OMG i totally m issed you!! I may be up in Sac for NYE - we should get together! 

www.sexyskinnybitch.wordpress.com - my journey to sexy skinny bitch status

11/16/12 - Got my Body by Sauceda - arms, Bl/BA, LBL, thigh lift. 

HW 420/ SW 335 /CW 200    85 lbs lost pre-op / 135 post op

~~~~Alison~~~~~

ruggie
on 12/9/12 8:38 am - Sacramento, CA

Ok, let me know!!

Heaviest weight:  310 pounds  (Male, 5'10")

jubjub
on 12/9/12 8:16 am - Palm Desert, CA
VSG on 06/25/12

Awesome stuff. Couldn't agree more with the links to your old posts.

Heaviest: 313/VSG Pre: 295/Surgery: 260/Maintenance target:190 - Recent: 195 (08/15/19)

1st 2015&2016 12-Hour Time Trial UMCA 50-59 Age Group
1st 2017 Race Across the West 4-Person 50-59 Age Group
4th 2019 Race Across America 8 Person Team

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 99 views