vitamin intolerance

jmarshall727
on 1/8/13 12:18 am

i have never been sensitive to taking vitamins, before the surgery i was taking a pretty big dose of them on a regular basis.  Since the surgery i have a severe intolerance to them.  I get extremely nauseous, and physically can't function.

Yesterday i switched out my vitamin C, and my one a day to a chewable.... Today I took all my regular vits, and BAM I am nauseous, I feel as though i am sweating, but no sweat is coming out, and I am extremely dizzy. 

I do have a Dr. apt later today....... Just wondering if anybody else has experienced this, and what did you do to remedie it.

jenlaur1
on 1/8/13 12:50 am - Westborough, MA
VSG on 08/19/13

I am not sleeved yet..but for vitamins and my meds...I have to take them on a full stomach or I get nauseous or feel real ill.  So, if possible..take them after you've eaten.  Maybe include it in the total volume of what you are eating so you don't feel like you ate too  much?  I do know that some vitamins have fillers in them and I find that those are probably what's upsetting my stomach.  If a vitamin has a flavor to it..I can taste it for a very long time..which doesn't help the case.  So, I started using the chewables..soooo much better.  I think though..take them after you've eaten instead of before if you can.  Maybe the doc will have something better...take care.

Highest Wt: 264, band May '05, pre sleeve wt 235, current 189, personal goal 140

B. Storms
on 1/8/13 1:49 am - IN

YES YES YES! I am almost two years out and this is still one of my biggest struggles. I have TRIED so many different kinds of vitamins. Even the smell of them makes me sick to my stomach. I even just stopped taking them and then I had my blood work and this affected me. I started taking them only at night. I figured Its better to take one dose at night instead of none all day long. I actually had to switch to a prenatal vitamin, small calcium, Vitamin D, and sometimes a cranberry! I usually eat two whole grain saltines (make sure to add them to your calories) and drink a glass of water RIGHT before I am ready to go to sleep so I dont have to deal with the nausea. Best of wishes. This has always been a struggle for me!

*Belinda*
Life isn't tied with a bow.... but it is still a gift.
Starting my journey and I am on the path to be who I was meant to be.

grannymedic1
on 1/8/13 2:12 am - Lake Odessa, MI
Revision on 08/21/12

I have always had this problem. Since wls I get gummie vitamins for adults, Caltrate Chewy Bites for calcium and I just found a gummie D3 at Walmart. I can't swallow regular vitamins. Before my sleeve I always took them at night right before going to sleep.

With the gummies, etc. I can take them in the morning. Regular chewables still make me queasy.

Highest weight: 212.8 Current weight 135 Lost 77.8 pounds

MuttLover
on 1/8/13 2:20 am
VSG on 11/14/12

I use Trader Joe's chewables.  Also, iron makes lots of people sick.  Check to see what the iron is in your vits.  The Trader Joe's vits have iron carbonyl which is easy on your stomach.

Good luck!

Starting weight: 260; Surgery Weight: 250; Month 1: -15.6; Month 2: -11.8; Month 3: -11.4;  Month 4: -7.4  Month 5: -8.6; Month 6: -3; Month 7 -3.8; Month 8 -7; Month 9: stall; Month 10: -4.4; Month 11: - 2.6; Month 12:-3.4

Shagdoll
on 1/8/13 3:49 am

Do you take the Trader Joe's adult chewable with vitamins and minerals?  I loved those!!!  It's not always convenient for me to go to Trader Joe's so I bought the Centrum adult chewable mutli.  Even though the Centrum doesn't taste bad, it always makes me burp after & I don't like that.  I gotta switch back to the vits I loved!

Jenn  

WWBD?  

Ms Shell
on 1/8/13 2:26 am - Hawthorne, CA

I eat something after every vitamin dose...since I started that I'm never nauseous.

Ms Shell

Linda B.
on 1/8/13 4:40 am - CO
VSG on 09/13/12

I am having issues as well. I feel like the large vitamins & calcium get stuck. This makes my nauseous and it actually hurts. I guess I'm going back to chewable ones. They are more expensive than what I can get at Costco, but I'm miserable so I have to do something.  Fortunately, DH doesn't have these issues, luck guy. Hopefully you'll be able to find something that works for you, vitamins are very important for us, so you might want to search for websites that have samples. Good luck, I hope you find something you can tolerate.

high weight 230 start of journey weight 217 surgery weight 191 current weight 138

rissa1224
on 1/8/13 6:40 am - NJ
VSG on 12/05/12

I am 5 weeks post tomorrow. At first my vitamins ( i take Nutrametrix - they have a website) and they are powdered. They made my stomach feel like **** all day to the point i didnt want to eat or drink. Stupid me was like "F vitamins and making me sick" so I took them randomly. Not cool. Now I have my 1 month (more like 5.5 week)  post op appointment on monday- and I have to get blood work Thursday. Dummy me. I will just tell them. 

So I played around with my vits today. Worked!! My 'lovely' NUT told me to take them when I wake up and before i eat or drink. NOT COOL. She said since its powdered mixed with water (literally like 2 inches of water in each mixture) that it absorbs so fast and 10 min later I can eat. WELL No. My sleevie hated it. TODAY I went to work WITH my vitamins to experiment. I had 1/4 of a quest bar FIRST. Then I made my 3 mixtures - B, D and K, and multi with iron. I sipped them slowlyyyyyyyy and spaced it out. (in the morning before work I just drank them and left for work- TOO FAST). TODAYS experiment worked! I felt GOOD. Now thats my plan. I left them at work to take during the week there, and I have my calcium at home for night time because you cant take calcium and iron together. 

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 64 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 247 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 314 views