Anyone have regrets on getting VSG?????

teresa722
on 1/10/13 8:56 pm - The Colony, TX
VSG on 07/13/10 with
No regrets!

At 2 1/2 years out- I'm still over 60lbs down - how can I regret that.

My sleeve is a little bigger the some and I can 4-6 oz's. I had the same fears. Here is some "food" thought:

1. I had 42 years to enjoy and really overindulge in food. I'm happier 60lbs lighter then eating all if that food!

2. I get to enjoy small bites of everything if I choose too. (Be carefull the Crab Monster and your triggerfoods will come back).

3. I will admit to drinking durning a nice dinner out so that I could eat a bit more (this is a very bad habit- So limit it 1-3: a year)

It's tool for a lifetime that will take work, and lots of changes.

HW :275   PreOp Consult :270   SW 7/13/10: 256   1Yr: 182    Restart on 1/7/13: 208

vogue
on 1/10/13 9:29 pm
VSG on 08/30/12

for a while I had regrest...it was related to post-op healing for the most part...  I had a miserable few weeks and ended up back in the hospital a few times, the last time with the doctor trying to do a revision to GBP....   I kept thinking Oh G-d WTF did I do to myself.....  now that Im 4 months post-op and doing well, I look back on those days and smile, knowing it was just a stage...  The Sleeve is my friend and a good one at that....Im happy with it

Vicki J.
on 1/10/13 9:56 pm - VA

I have absolutely zero regrets!  It wasn't easy at first (I can't think of one major change for the better that's ever easy, though) but knowing all I know now and feeling the way I do every day, I'd do it again in a heartbeat!!! 

No worries - just work the plan and you'll do great!!!!

-Vicki

SD: 07/07/11     Height:  5'9-1/2"     SW: 283     GW:  170     Current Weight:  167

MomofMarch
on 1/10/13 9:58 pm - GA

I'm still pretty early out. I have to admit, the liquid diet was hard. Mainly because we went home for Christmas, during my liquid phase, and had all of that home cooked food in front of me. I am losing at a great rate. I just hit the 200 lb mark this morning, which is a loss of 38 lbs since my pre-op diet.

The only regrets I am having are not seeing about having this done sooner. I am still only eating 2oz at a time, but it's NOT as bad as people think. It's amazing to feel full on such a small amount. Leftovers are my life now, but I'm learning to make new things out of the food I had yesterday. lol My nutritionist told me that I should be able to eat 3-4 oz in the next few months.

OH, be prepared for people to feel uncomfortable about eating in front of you. My parents and husband felt awful being able to eat in front of me. It didn't even bother me because I just wasn't hungry at all.

Don't look at it as you'll never eat again, but you're learning how to eat all over again. You're going to have to take your time and make the right choices. :) You will be able to eat normal portions again. Just not the jumbo plate or bowl of goodies in one setting. Good luck!

Laura- HW:240  SW: 224  GW:165 Surgery date 12/10/12

Winning the battle against obesity and PCOS!

healey63
on 1/10/13 10:49 pm

thank you,  I need to hear positive right now

Julia HasHerLifeNow
on 1/10/13 10:00 pm
VSG on 10/09/12
Hell no! No regrets at all.. well, yes, one - I am sorry I didn't do it sooner. And maybe a little other one - I wanted a larger sleeve because I was afraid of nausea and complications. I should have asked the doc to do a tighter small sleeve. I think I am going to regret this in maintenance, but for now it's just rockin' great!

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com 5ft0; highest weight 222; surgery weight 208; current weight 120

healey63
on 1/10/13 10:50 pm

thank you...looking for positive replys

(deactivated member)
on 1/11/13 1:18 am

You are going to do just fine.  You have me in your corner, I will help you work with what you have and you will rock your sleeve forever.  Just don't ever turn into an ostrich, the rest we can work with together. I have a close friend with a sleeve that I am sure is much larger than yours, we came up with a way to eat so that she will stay at goal.  It is harder, but it can be done.  You might even enjoy it.  I only post about the larger sleeve in order to warn the pre-ops about it while they still have an option to get a tighter sleeve.  I always weigh what I have to say against upsetting those that already have the sleeve done.  It is never clear to me what the best course of action is on this. 

When you are further out, like 6-8 months out, remind me to have a conversation with you about strategies for living with a looser sleeve.  We might want to skype for this talk.

Julia HasHerLifeNow
on 1/11/13 5:53 am
VSG on 10/09/12
I will definitely take you up on this! I am sure I can do it, but like Kairk's futures post today, my future will have the word vigilance in it rather than moderation!

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com 5ft0; highest weight 222; surgery weight 208; current weight 120

Jenfur
on 1/10/13 10:02 pm
VSG on 06/25/12

I had an extremely easy recovery and also thought I would miss foods and eating alot but the things I've gained have really replaced that.  The other thing is, I really can eat anything I want if I wanted to but I'm finding that the things I found appealing then, aren't so good now.  I used to be a huge brownie batter addict....hate brownies, love the batter and would make them for my husband just so I could lick the bowl (and whatever I happened to leave in the bowl)  I'll admit, I tried it a while back and it was just too freaking sweet and I didn't want it. 

I guess the big change for me is that life doesn't revolve around food anymore, it's more centered around the other things I'm doing such as being the one able to climb the jungle gym and go down the slide with my son or chase him around the ballfield.  Instead of sitting around the house at night snacking in front of the TV, I'm going to the YMCA and playing volleyball again.  This weekend starts restaurant week in a nearby city where they have incredible deals at really nice places we normally couldn't afford but I'm more excited that the weather is going to be sunny and in the 70's so we can go to a state park and ride our bicycles.  Those are the things that make my only regret about this surgery be the fact that I wasn't brave enough and didn't think enough about myself before to do it sooner.

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 68 views