How much can you eat Sleevers?

MomofMarch
on 4/14/13 7:41 am - GA

I am 4 months out, and I can eat about 2.5 ounces of dense protein. I CAN have a lot of salad, about a cup, but I can't eat it WITH my meats, yet. I never lost my hunger, even on a PPI. What I do, though, is make sure I'm drinking a TON of fluids. I eat by the clock. It's easier to keep myself from over eating that way. Plus, when my stomach growls, it does it when I'm hungry AND when I'm thirsty. So first I drink to see if that keeps the ghrelin monster at bay. If not, well, guess it's time for some "nummy nummies", as my two year old says. lol

Good luck!!

Laura- HW:240  SW: 224  GW:165 Surgery date 12/10/12

Winning the battle against obesity and PCOS!

CarolynJoisey
on 4/14/13 7:48 am

Thank you so much!!!  I love nummie nummies lol.  So, if you know your body is needing greens, you would be able to eat  a cup of salad then later eat the meat for protein? Or maybe a protein shake and then just the salad for lunch? I love veggies! (I know, the world thinks only fat girls love cake lol)    

MomofMarch
on 4/14/13 8:26 am - GA

Exactly! lol I've always been a big veggie eater. What I do is have a protein shake for breakfast. I've never been a big breakfast person. I have to really wake up before I can eat. By the time that happens, it's almost lunch. lol So I stick with a shake for breakfast. I end up eating my proteins at lunch, and a salad for a snack, then more protein for dinner. If I'm still below my goals for protein (90 g a day for me), I will have another shake OR I will eat some sugar free greek yogurt. Everyone has a different plan based on what they need and what they like. It's best to get your proteins from things like lowfat dairy and meats. I've been having a bit of a rough time with eating as of late, so I'm sticking to more shakes until I can get to my doctor. I also highly suggest tracking your foods on a place like myfitnesspal.com. I LOVE that site. :)

Laura- HW:240  SW: 224  GW:165 Surgery date 12/10/12

Winning the battle against obesity and PCOS!

starry957
on 4/14/13 8:48 am

Everyone's given a whole lot of info here, so I'll just add my personal experience re: hunger/satiety.  I get a "mild" hungry feeling when I've gone too long without eating - it is not a ravishing GOTTA EAT feeling, though the other physical symptoms do tell me it's time to eat (ie feeling kind of "low", etc).  I find it waaaay better if I ensure I'm having, breakfast, snack, lunch, snack, supper, snack, than if I skip things - it's too hard to catch up on my protein, etc...if I miss meals/snacks because I can't eat enough in one sitting.

Good luck!

January 8th, 2013 - VSG with Dr Paul Sullivan (St Joe's Toronto)

CarolynJoisey
on 4/14/13 9:52 am

I can't believe how helpful these answers have been!!!! I am really able to get a good idea of how it will go!! Thank you!! broken heart   (They of course, are protein shakes!!) 

Prayinforchange
on 4/16/13 11:52 am - Canada

Starry957,

I see that you received the sleeve at St. Joe's in Toronto. I just wondered if this was your surgery of choice or was it the recommended one by your surgeon? If it was your choice, could you share how you convinced the surgeon to do the sleeve? I see the surgeon in TWH in May and I really feel like the sleeve is the best surgery for me......but I will have to convince he surgeon it is as well.

Do you have any advice for me?

Darlene

Darlene

Referral: Sept. 2012, Orientation Oct. 2012, Nurse, Social work, Nutrition Class, Jan. 2013, Doctor visit, Feb. 6, 2013, Follow up Nutrition and Social work Mar. 12, 2013, Follow Up Doctor visit, Mar. 13, 2013, Surgical consult May 17, 2013!!

CarolynJoisey
on 4/14/13 9:55 am

M.O.M.,

I hope I am not pushing it here, but may I ask why (if you know) you are having trouble eating lately? May I ask what happens? Does it make you vomit?  Or, you just have no appetite?  I sure hope it gets better. When I was in a car accident and my band broke, I couldnt eat and it was horrible.(And even more unfortunately, now I can eat EVERYTHING!)  I sure hope it gets better FAST for you!!!

JL2013
on 4/14/13 12:51 pm

I am so glad you wrote this.  I am one month out and never lost my appetite.  I am trying Prilosec, but no luck yet.  I need to make an eating schedule and stick to it.  I do have to force drink liquids, I still struggle to drink so much each day, but if it will keep away the hunger I will keep working at it.  Thanks.

acbbrown
on 4/14/13 10:36 am - Granada Hills, CA

I think there might be a difference in what I *can* eat and what I *need* to eat in order to feel satiated/satisfied. 

For me, 4 oz of meat and a veggie would leave me satisfied, but if I wanted to, i could eat 6-8 oz of meat at 2 years out. I might be pretty darn full at that point, but I could do it. 

www.sexyskinnybitch.wordpress.com - my journey to sexy skinny bitch status

11/16/12 - Got my Body by Sauceda - arms, Bl/BA, LBL, thigh lift. 

HW 420/ SW 335 /CW 200    85 lbs lost pre-op / 135 post op

~~~~Alison~~~~~

Jarisaunt
on 4/14/13 1:35 pm - CA
VSG on 08/21/12

Examples of what I can eat 8 mos out:

3 oz steak, or meatloaf or chicken, 2 oz green beans, 1/2 small salad, 3 oz fish, 1 1/2 c soup, 1 egg scrambled w/ 1 slice whole wheat toast, 1 cup chili, 3 oz piece of lasagne when I'm feeling non-compliant.

Height: 5'5"  2 wks pre-op: -15  M1: -20  M2: -18  M3: -12  M4: -13  M5: -8 M6: -10 M7: -2 M8: -10 M9: -4 M10: 0 M11: -3 M12: -3 M13: -14 Start Wt:290 SurgWt:275 (BMI 46) Current Wt:145 (BMI 24) Goal:140 (BMI 23.3)

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 70 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 264 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 327 views