Over a year out, NEVER lost any hunger...is that common?

Lexie 84
on 4/18/13 1:43 am, edited 4/18/13 1:53 am - Washington, DC
VSG on 03/13/12

I'm not complaining. I've done well thus far with my loss, from my highest of 226lbs to currently 130lbs, size 18/20 to size 5/6, I'm still adjusting to it in my head! However, I always wonder about my hunger. It never went anywhere. I still get hungry all throughout the day. I don't always drink AS MUCH water as I should, but I do drink throughout the day. I'm just concerned b/c I realize that although I have restriction, I guess I wanted to not always have a desire to eat. If I make bad choices, I could easily put back on the weight. Of course, this is true for us all...But I was kind of depending on the crutch that even though all grehlin wouldn't be gone or even gone forever, that I'd lose at least some! This scares me b/c over time, restriction does decrease. This will forever be a battle for me. Being skinny isn't easy! LOL

Ms Shell
on 4/18/13 1:53 am - Hawthorne, CA

Many Gastric Bypassers have the bypass because they BET on the "dumping" but in reality ONLY 1/3 of folks who have bypass dump.  So that's 2/3 that don't.

Same thing with VSG, no one can say 100% for anything because we are all so different.  The hormone ghrelin is created in other parts of the body as well as the stomach.  So more then likely your production wasn't primarily in your tummy =(  From what I've seen on this board I would say just as the dumping, about 1/3 of VSGers lose ALL their hunger.

Ms Shell

Lexie 84
on 4/18/13 1:56 am - Washington, DC
VSG on 03/13/12

thanks for the response! I'm going to accept that this will be a daily fight and committment for me to stay the course! :)

AmberK
on 4/18/13 2:03 am
VSG on 03/07/12 with

It depends on the day for me. Some days I'm not very hungry at all and others, I am hungry the ENTIRE day. It's very hard to deal with but I'm learning as I'm sure you are. You have done amazing!!! 

VSG 3/07/12     HW:260   SW: 249   CW:164  

momsy55
on 4/18/13 2:08 am - ME

I too never really lost my hunger, though had plenty of restriction.  I know some folks have said that too much acid can mimic hunger, and they may need some type of medication.  I have experienced acid stomach that made me feel hungry, but I have also just felt plain old hunger.  The NUT didn't seem concerned.  I'm going on 2 years out, and overall things are going quite well.  Whether we experience hunger or not, for me, much of the desire to eat is in my head.  So regardless, I have to be diligent and when I go through situations that I used to eat over, I've learned to use other coping skills.   I agree that being thin isn't always easy!  But look at all of the wonderful rewards we've gotten?  It's worth the battle, don't you think? 

HW (recorded) 323  Start of Journey 298.9  SW 263.6  CW 177.8  GW 180 

get2it
on 4/18/13 4:38 am - Cedar Park, TX

Can I ask what coping skills you use that are effective?

Jackie T.
on 4/18/13 2:26 am - KS
VSG on 12/19/12

I am sorry you feel hungry, that sucks!  There was a time a while back where I was feeling hungry but I was not taking my Pepcid.  When I started taking it again, the feeling went away.  I have stopped taking it again and so far the hunger feeling has not come back but I will try it again first before I up my calories.

Highest Weight: 285 SW: 264.6 CW:163.1   Surgeon's GW: 189  PCP's GW: 165-170  

My GW:  154   MFP:  jteaford                  

Crabadams72
on 4/18/13 3:48 am - Silver Spring, MD
I never totally lost my hunger but it is better than pre op. if you are not on a ppi you may want to ask your Dr about it. Our bodies still produce acid for a normal sized stomach. That can mimmick hunger.
I honestly try to fill up on protein, get in the water and you can smack on healthy foods like celery or small veggies. At 1 yr out your sleeve is at its full size unless you start binging or purposefully eating around your sleeve.

You can maintain your loss but from now on you just have to tweak a few things. Get in the water, snack on healthy stuff, exercise and keep a 3-5 pound weight range. It's much easier to get 3-5 off than 10,20,30 pounds.
VSG 6/10/2011  Dr. Ann Lidor BMore MD 5'5 HW-247 SW-233 GW-145 CW-120

http://www.youtube.com/user/72Crabadams   Me rambling about my journey : )

emelar
on 4/18/13 4:49 am - TX

I never lost my hunger, and I'm kinda glad I didn't.  I learned how to deal with it during the early months when eating less was pretty much a given.  And it's not the overwhelming hunger that I got pre-op.  Get hungry, throw some food at it, and I'm good to go again.  And you're right - it's all about what you choose to eat.

Linda B.
on 4/18/13 5:23 am - CO
VSG on 09/13/12

I am also one of those that did not lose my hunger. However, it is much more manageable than before. Some days I am hungrier than others, so for those days, I keep extra healthy snacks in my desk drawer and usually will drink more water and have an extra protein shake. On days that I am not as hungry, I will reduce my calories a bit to compensate for the hungry days. I do know that as I transition into maintenance that I will have to watch for small gains so they don't turn into big ones. I am with you, this is a forever battle. I'm just glad I have a "weapon" to use.

high weight 230 start of journey weight 217 surgery weight 191 current weight 138

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 100 views