Lactose Intolerant Question

princesswimmer24
on 4/19/13 11:21 pm - VA
VSG on 08/05/13

My husband and I have begun the journey to weight loss surgery. We are both going to have the gastric sleeve and we are trying things out pre-surgery so that we know that we will like post-surgery. My husband is lactose intolerant and the only protein shake that we have found is 230 calories and 19 sugar. Just wondering if there is other lactose intolerant people out there and wondering what you use for your protein shakes? Thanks in advance for any helpful suggestions.

Lisa2630
on 4/19/13 11:48 pm

I don't think the sugar is an issue in the first month post -op. My surgeon says don't worry about things being sugar free at that point because you aren't taking in much.  After the first month when you establish healthy eating patterns you might want to switch to lower sugar.  But remember lower sugar usually means it's sweetened in some other way, that you might not like..  

I'm scheduled for surgery in May and am also Lactose intolerant.  I have been  trying products as well.  GNC is my favorite.  The milk chocolate & strawberries and cream are good.  It comes in packets so you can buy single serving to try or you can pull a container out of their cooler and have your lunch on the spot. Bigger containers of powder for a reasonable price.  I also like the Isopure drinks - which I buy there.  Many flavors: fruit punch, banana, berry...etc.  Sugar so low - it doesn't have to be listed as significant.  40 grams of protein in a 20 oz bottle.   My favorite flavor is fruit punch. They often have buy one get one or buy two get two deals, and I am buying in advance for my first two weeks home.

The Bariatric center wear I live sells HRM and it's quite expensive.  The lactose intolerant one has only 70 calories, so they always tell me to use 2 packets...one packet is 10 grams of sugar....so you get back to why I tell you not to be overly concerned about 19 grams- unless your Dr. has put you on a restriction.

claimmaster
on 4/19/13 11:50 pm - OK
VSG on 07/05/13

Whey isolate contains no lactose, so just get an protein isolate shake and you should be all set.  Syntrax Nectar is my favorite, but each has their own favs.  It has no carbs at all.

Starting weight: 320       Goal weight: 145      Surgery Weight: 298      Current weight: 215         Check out my blog at www.thebariatricvegan.com

Weight loss month 1-22  2-13  3-12  4-16  5-4  6-0  7-7  8-6

kenwilliams
on 4/20/13 1:57 am

Some lactose intolerant people can tolerate yogurt (me).  I hated the shakes.  What I found and still use follows:  one 4 ounce fruit cup (peaches) packed in juice, one 6 ounce container nonfat Greek yogurt, one scoop unflavored Unjury protein.  Blend all together including the juice from the peaches.  This yields a smooth shake that you can drink or eat with a spoon.  (I let mine sit for about five minutes to let the air bubble out)  This gives you 39 grams of protein and 270 calories.  If you are counting carbs (which I don't), it's about 26.  Early on it made life tolerable while giving me more than enough protein (I did 2/day plus other fluids).  I will be on softs until the end of May but I still use one of these per day.  I know there are people here who may criticize the amount of carbs but it hasn't slowed me down.

Best of luck to both of you on your journey together. 

Hislady
on 4/20/13 3:44 am - Vancouver, WA

There are also lactaid tablets you can take to tolerate the dairy products.

Ms Shell
on 4/20/13 4:18 am - Hawthorne, CA

Jay Robb has an egg white protein powder.

SuzyNZ
on 4/20/13 6:05 am, edited 4/20/13 4:08 pm
VSG on 09/17/12
I have not had a single protein shake in my whole journey. It's not ideal, as it would be much easier if I could have, but I have lactose intollerance and intolerances to any type of "fake" protein. I tried em all! Whey, Pea, egg, hemp...all hopeless. They all came back up within seconds of going down.

If you have found one he likes, fabulous!! Don't worry too much about the calories and sugar, just work in into the total number of calories he has in his day as they are the absolute crucial measure.

I have a far more liberal plan than the common wisdom round here and the only things I track are total calories and protein. I am mindful of carbs, but dont exclude them the way many people do. As long as total calories are within my goals, the make up of these in terms of sugar/fat/carbs etc, is inconsequential and I still lose. Obviously I don't eat completely crap food, desserts, sweets etc and no white bread, but nothing else is off limits.

I just made goal two days ago with 150lbs lost in 7 months, so while I don't promote my path as being the easiest or best, its just a view of MY experience. When I asked for support when I was starting out, I was told by many people on this forum that it would be impossible if I couldnt take protein. I spent many nights crying about this after I threw up yet another variety of shake i had tried. But I can now tell you that if you need to follow a different path because of some food issues, you can still be successful.

So don't worry, if hubby's shake has a few more calories. Just make it work!

Suzy wink (Age: 41, Height: 6'1,  SW: 169.4kg/372lb.  CW: 80.5kg/177lb.  Total lost: 88.9kg/195lbs)

Calking
on 4/21/13 8:36 am
VSG on 05/31/12

100% Whey Protein Isolate ... either no lactose or 99% lactose free.  About Time (www.gnc.com), Body Fortress (Walmart but be careful as they all have Whey Protein but not all have Whey Protein Isolate ... make sure that the word Isolate is there ... you don't want a concentrate or blend), Isopure, Syntrax are just a few brand names that have this.

Also mix this with an unsweetened vanilla almondmilk.  This would be lactose free as well.  I know you can go with soy milk or rice milk ... almond milk is a better choice.  There is also an unsweetened almond milk / coconut milk mixed that is good.  

I will warn you that most of the Whey Protein Isolate flavors are subtle.  Knowing that going in will prevent you from hating the product.  Buy some sugar free syrups to add in.  Or you can get Hershey's Special Dark Cocoa powder ... this is unsweetened so you will add some Splenda or Stevia to counter the bitterness.  Also if ever you find something too bitter ... a pinch of salt fixes that.

Also eventually adding in frozen fruits to the protein shakes will help flavor them.  Yum on blueberries.  I wouldn't try that until months out though and only if you can afford the calories that day.

Isn’t it a bit unnerving that doctors call what they do their “practice”?  -  George Carlin             

sunny_disposition
on 4/21/13 9:48 am - Miami, FL
VSG on 01/28/13

I also use the syntrax nectar (fuzzy navel, yum!), and haven't had any issue with it.  I also use the lactase pills when I want a bit of dairy, super helpful!

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 95 views