"Shut up and DO it!"

sheranfour
on 5/16/13 7:59 pm

Enough is enough.

If you are dancing around something today...playing games with your plan...or dragging along...time to stop.

It's been 8 months since VSG. I'm lovin the changes in my body, health and life. It's all good.

There's a "but"...I have not pushed myself to excercise. Every morning while I put on my make-up, I have this long winded conversation with myself in the mirror. Goes something like "You need to get this going" "Yes I know" "well...what are you gonna do?" "OK fine, I'll start a walking group at work" "No. You won't. The first rainy day, or muggy day, or busy day...you'll back out" "OK, tonight when I get home I'll get on my elliptical" "Hmmm...right. You'll be too tired, or get on the phone, or blame it on the kids" " Fine. Tomorrow morning I'll get up early and get on elliptical BEFORE I get ready for work" "Yeah..Uh...right. You'll be too tired" " Screw you!" "Screw you!".

Sweet huh?

This morning...I looked at myself in the mirror. Finally...we both agreed. "SHUT UP AND DO IT!"

I've decided that I WILL excercise everyday. BUT a day at a time... this is a MUST for me now. So before I lay down at night I WILL either 1)elliptical in morning 2) walk at work or 3) elliptical in evening. I will not lock into a "you must do this at this time every day forever", but I will do it.  A day at a time.Today will be elliptical in the evening...and I WILL come back here to this post to hold myself accountable. I know YOU don't need me to...but it helps ME...so this I commit to.

Will you commit with me? Today? Will you "SHUT UP AND DO IT!" with me???

Here's to today!!!

Peace

~Deb ( I'll be back!!)

Not MY will, but HIS. Not MY time, but HIS.    
cappy11448
on 5/16/13 8:55 pm

Hi,

I am also one who avoids exercise, but since I've started the WLS process in January, I've developed some strategies that have helped me.  Perhaps they would help you, as well.

First, I exercise every day - perhaps I miss one day a month due to unusual schedules.  If I give myself days off, I'll take advantage and the plan goes out the window. 

If I'm tired or busy, I tell myself I will only do a few minutes, but I need to do some.  Once I'm started, I always do more than a few minutes. 

I try to quit when I'm feeling good - I don't push myself too hard.  I don't want it to become an ordeal which will inhibit me the next time.

I know this is contrary to how most people do it, but it works for me, and I am exercising 20 to 30 minutes a day most days.  This is not perfect but its so much better than nothing.  Its enough for me.

Good luck, and keep me posted on your progress.

Best wishes,

Carol

Surgery May 1, 2013. Starting Weight 385,  Surgery Weight 333,  Current Weight 160.  At GOAL!

Weight loss Pre-op 1-20 2-17 3-15 Post-op 1-20 2-18 3-15 4-14 5-16 6-11 7-12  8-8

9-11 10-7 11-7 12-7 13-8 14-6 15-3 16-7 17-3  18-3

Cwuddy
on 5/16/13 9:02 pm - Ontario, Canada
VSG on 08/28/12

I LOVE your advice about doing a few minutes!  That is genius!  What a great way to get yourself started with a pretty doable task and have it turn into more!  I know myself, and if I just get my self started with the promise of a little bit of exercise it will always turn into more..its the getting started that's the hard part!

Thank you!

Vicky - SW = 299   CW = 138

Keith L.
on 5/16/13 9:25 pm - Navarre, FL
VSG on 09/28/12

Start out slow. So many people run out and spend hundreds of dollars on gym memberships, workout clothes, personal trainers. This should be phase 2. Start by walking 30 mins every day. Do 10-20 squats in your bedroom when you wake up. If you do this for a couple weeks then you can step it up. But commit to walking first. It's easy and really one of the best ways to burn fat. 

VSG: 9/28/2012 - Dr. Sergio Verboonen  My Food/Recipe Blog - MyBigFatFoodie.com

?My Fitness Pal Profile ?View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com

sheranfour
on 5/17/13 9:52 am

Thanks Keith!

I like the idea of doing some stretches/squats in the morning. I will admit...I'm not a big walker. I like the cardio and sweating. For me it's not about what's hard or easy. I enjoy (actually ENJOY) cardio. I like the pounding crazy music...the sweating...the awesome feel when you stretch out after. No...it's not the intensity that keeps me from excercise...it's saddly just putting on my sneakers and taking the time to do it. I spend more time with excuses NOT to make that stinkin 30 min for myself...that if I'd just DO IT...I'd be all set. So I did tonight and I feel GREAT!! 10 min stretch...30 elliptical...10 stretch.

BTW=You have been a real inspiration and part of my desire to get my self moving is reading your excercise posts. Now I can read them GUILT FREE! Thanks for doing what you do!!

mimij
on 5/16/13 11:13 pm - McDonough, GA
VSG on 10/03/12

yes Deb I will join with you. I find that if I resist the urge to make excuses and do the planned exercise whether it be class or treadmill or walk at work, I feel so good after I have done it. I try to lock into the memory of that good feeling so I will have the motivation to do it next time even when I am lazy and don't want to do it.

MIMI  Highest weight 215  SW 203  GW 125   M1 -22  M2 -12  M3 -11  M4 -7  M5 -10  M6 -5  M7 -6  M8 -5  M9 -4  M10 -3  In maintenance since June 2013  HT- 5'2"  

sheranfour
on 5/17/13 9:53 am

YES! Lets DO this!!!!

MuttLover
on 5/16/13 11:15 pm
VSG on 11/14/12

LOL!  Really, isn't "Shut up and just DO it" the answer to most everything?   I think I am going to get this Nike T-shirt, that has Just Do It screen printed over and over!

http://store.nike.com/us/en_us/?l=shop,pdp,ctr-inline/cid-1/pid-683821/pgid-683823

Starting weight: 260; Surgery Weight: 250; Month 1: -15.6; Month 2: -11.8; Month 3: -11.4;  Month 4: -7.4  Month 5: -8.6; Month 6: -3; Month 7 -3.8; Month 8 -7; Month 9: stall; Month 10: -4.4; Month 11: - 2.6; Month 12:-3.4

sheranfour
on 5/17/13 9:55 am

Y'know...you took the thoughts out of my head!!!

Now that I can fit into sizes they actually sell...I was going to look into getting this old NIKE saying on a shirt,,,just like that one!! Amazon here I come!!!

Thanks!!!!!

Nancybefree
on 5/17/13 12:46 am
VSG on 11/21/12

Yup, you're right.  Going out right now to push that stupid lawn mower around the yard for 40 minutes.  :)

5'8"    HRW 357 on 7/09/12    SW 339   >196 8/26/13 (surgeon's goal)   TWL  193     CW   164 

*:•-:¦:-•:*1st pers. goal 178 on 10/16/13; ultimate goal 164 on 12/13/13*:•-:¦:-•:* 

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 101 views