My sister said that surgery is a terrible idea.... I either will die or fail to lose weight

vixkix69
on 7/12/13 12:21 pm

So, I have this one sister who is always the nay-sayer no matter what. After hearing that I attended a seminar today,she basically tried to argue with me , stating non facts as facts and predicting a terrible outcome such  as death or failure. It's so frustrating! The rest of my family has been surprisingly supportive or at the very least, silent. Well, you can't win over everyone I guess. There is a good chance that in three weeks I will have my sleeve.... And I think I'm going to stay excited for now, and leave the fear until the last possible moment!  :)

Nikke2003
on 7/12/13 12:24 pm - PA
VSG on 05/13/13

It's hard to understand why people act this way. You have to do what is best for you and she can deal! You are putting yourself first, as it should be when it comes to getting back into good health. I wish you the best of luck and I'm so sorry to hear that you don't have everyone's full support!

For more info on my journey & goals, visit my blog at http://flirtybythirty.wordpress.com

acbbrown
on 7/12/13 12:25 pm - Granada Hills, CA

Sounds like dying and failing to lose are more probable WITHOUT surgery....at least surgery gives you a better chance at a good life. 

www.sexyskinnybitch.wordpress.com - my journey to sexy skinny bitch status

11/16/12 - Got my Body by Sauceda - arms, Bl/BA, LBL, thigh lift. 

HW 420/ SW 335 /CW 200    85 lbs lost pre-op / 135 post op

~~~~Alison~~~~~

charmedaz
on 7/12/13 12:32 pm

i have family in my life that are outrageously cruely opinionated about WLS or "fat people" in general...even though im a fatty...

i did this privately. ill never tell. and ill never let it define me, i dont want to be oh the girl who had WLS everytime someone talks about me........ only my closest handful know and they are supportive and fully understand why i dont want to "go public"...they know how cruel and adamant against it the others are :/ 

my work knows...i work in a dr office...but everyone there is supportive and respectful and cheering me...but thats my WORK family...not ppl i hang out with or live my real life with.

maybe its hard to keep your sister out of it but...you HAVE to live YOUR life not hers or her ideas of how it should be :(

i dont have siblings but if i did id dream they would stand behind me about it :( 

sorry...:(

Dr. Joya:    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/officialdrjoya

Twitter: https://twitter.com/drjoyadotcom

theshrinkingmimi
on 7/12/13 12:43 pm

If she is always the nay-sayer, then she was doing her job. I'm sure it wasn't shocking.  Sounds like you have plenty of support. Stay focused on the positive.

keep it movin.

Pre-liquid diet 392; VSG'd on 6/10/11; 5'9"; SW 368/ GW 195?

Pounds lost: mth1=26.7; mth 2=21.2; mth 3=24.8; mth 4=13.8; mth 5=14.2;  
            mth 6=11.8; mth 7=9.2; mth 8&9= 17.2    
themexcellentone
on 7/12/13 12:53 pm
VSG on 07/08/13 with

F that noise.

If this is how she is going to be, you have to shut that crap out.  It will just stress you out and will NOT be helpful to you as you pursue a path to better health.  You have educated yourself and done your homework and YOU know what you are doing is best for you.  Your sister does not have to live in your body with the decisions that you make about it.

Stay excited, because you're about to do something great for yourself.  Keep your head up and press on!

VSG by Nick Nicholson in 2013. Revised to DS 2/23/2023 by Chad Carlton.

busboss1
on 7/12/13 1:00 pm
VSG on 12/18/12

Sometimes sisters can be jealous if they feel you are doing something positive and their life is in a stall. If you feel strongly this is the right step for you, take the step. I prayed about this process and asked God to stop me if I shouldn't do it. Everything went smoothly the entire way. I was at peace this was meant for me. I can't say if it's right for you but it sure was right for me. Not quite & months later, I feel wonderful, I'm off some of my medications and I'd do it again. Don't let nay sayers bring you down. Do what's best for you! Good luck!

Starting weight-244.4   Currently-145.2   Surgeon goal-150   My own goal-140        

abbeycat43
on 7/12/13 1:02 pm - MO
VSG on 06/12/13

"An entire sea of water can't sink a ship unless it gets inside the ship. Similarly, the negativity of the world can't put you down unless you allow it to get inside you." - Unknown

Negative people have no place in your journey. Stay strong and be proud of the decision you are making.  There is no shame in WLS.  Secrets can cause you to feel shame...shout it from the roof tops.  I tell everyone that asks me.  If they don't agree with my choice, so be it, I didn't ask for their opinion on it. BE STRONG!

"Decide that you want it more than you are afraid of it." - Bill Cosby

vmkrueger
on 7/12/13 1:03 pm

I am for this very reason afraid to tell anyone I am about to go through the steps toward surgery.  BUT I did go to the info session Wedneday and was pleasantly surprized at how much you're encouraged to tell and get all the support you can.  Some will say "What are you crazy?" and others will say "WHOO HOO I am with you all the way!"  BTW, my sister would probably be with yours and nay say.  She lost 100 lbs the non surgical way but...anyway you do it, it's a lifestyle change we have to commit to and love.

Good for you.  You're in for a wonderful, new and healthy life.  I am waiting waiting waiting to hear from the advocate.  I am so excited with you!

jubjub
on 7/12/13 1:09 pm - Palm Desert, CA
VSG on 06/25/12

Heaviest: 313/VSG Pre: 295/Surgery: 260/Maintenance target:190 - Recent: 195 (08/15/19)

1st 2015&2016 12-Hour Time Trial UMCA 50-59 Age Group
1st 2017 Race Across the West 4-Person 50-59 Age Group
4th 2019 Race Across America 8 Person Team

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 128 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 376 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 414 views