Recovery time

Joy M.
on 7/19/13 4:13 pm
VSG on 08/06/13

Just out of curiosity what is the average recovery time after surgery. I found out I might get a really great job but I have surgery in 2 weeks. Is a week long enough if I tell them a start day a week after surgery or what do people think?

Calking
on 7/19/13 6:19 pm
VSG on 05/31/12

It would depend on the job and how you do with your recovery.  My best guess is that you will need two weeks at a minimum.  I felt great after a few days however when you actually get up and move around and find yourself doing simple tasks like making lunch ... all it takes is a quick turn to get something from the refrigerator or throw something away to cause light headedness and/or nausea.  Picking things up off the floor can set this off as well.  

I would say if it is a desk job and you can move in "slow motion" so to speak ... allowing extra time to get things done around the house you might make a go of it after a week.  Although I am doubtful.  Remember it isn't just the surgery working against you. You get most of your energy from calories and you will be getting so very few calories to start out ... likely around 600 in a given day.  This would mean you are likely to feel good for some time during the day but it will hit you out of the blue ... you will have burned the calories and feel exhausted so easily that early out.

If you could start out doing a week or two of half days at this job you might stand a chance but again my best guess is that full time after only one week will likely be a very tough challenge not to mention you won't be able to be lifting anything more than 5 or 10 pounds max for at least a month.

Good luck.

Isn’t it a bit unnerving that doctors call what they do their “practice”?  -  George Carlin             

Minemake14
on 7/19/13 8:38 pm

I was out of work for two weeks and three days....I probably could have pushed myself to go back the second full week- but I am glad I did not. The extra time gave me some room to really adjust myself to the new eating/thinking patterns.  If you can I would do two weeks minimum, particularly with starting a new job. Many folks are tired for the first weeks after surgery- you would not want them to think slow was your normal pace!  Good luck to you!

AmberL
on 7/19/13 10:37 pm

I only took off a week, but I have a desk job so I didn't have to do anything physical when I went back to work.  That first week was rough and I was doubting that I would be able to go back to work, but when the week was actually up I felt great and didn't have a problem going back at all.

Sandy M.
on 7/19/13 10:40 pm - Detroit Lakes, MN
Revision on 05/08/13

I was off for 10 days.  Originally thought I could do it in 5, but my overpowering urge to take 2 naps a day did me in!  I work from home, but like the previous poster said, there were times when I'd get light headed, and that wouldn't be a good thing your first couple of days on the job!  Plus, new bosses don't usually take kindly to people snoozing on the desks.  :)

Height 5'4"  HW:223 Lap band 2006, revised to Sleeve 5/8/2013, SW:196

Nancybefree
on 7/19/13 11:14 pm
VSG on 11/21/12

A few things to consider:

1)  The first weeks postop are difficult for a few reasons, one being that we are trying to hydrate and eat according to our plans.  If you're on a schedule like I was given for my food stage advancement, you will be trying to eat or drink something every hour, all day.  Would your new job allow for that?  It also happens that people find out that things don't agree with them or find out they've eaten too quickly or too much, resulting in random urgent trips to the bathroom.

2)  It's quite usual for people to be fatigued for weeks postop.  The degree of fatigue varies.

3)  It's also quite usual for people to have roller coaster emotions for weeks postop.  Again, the degree varies.  I don't know if you'd be learning on this new job or if it's a lateral move skill-wise, but between the fatigue and the emotional highs and lows AND trying to get your nutrition and hydration in you might be very challenged right when you're potentially trying to prove yourself in your new situation.

I'm not trying to sway your decision one way or the other, but I wanted to put some real-world experiences before you to consider as you make that decision.

Wishing you all the best!

5'8"    HRW 357 on 7/09/12    SW 339   >196 8/26/13 (surgeon's goal)   TWL  193     CW   164 

*:•-:¦:-•:*1st pers. goal 178 on 10/16/13; ultimate goal 164 on 12/13/13*:•-:¦:-•:* 

themexcellentone
on 7/19/13 11:18 pm
VSG on 07/08/13 with
You will likely be too tired after one week to be any good at work all day. I am a teacher, and while I have been off for the summer, there is no way I would have considered doing this during the semester. I will be 2 weeks post-op on Monday. I have spent the last 2 weeks sipping, walking and resting...can't really do that all day AND teach. Also, Calking's point about lifting is valid. I am not allowed to lift over 10 pounds for two more weeks. So if your potential job involves lifting, bending or twisting, you won't be able to do that either.

VSG by Nick Nicholson in 2013. Revised to DS 2/23/2023 by Chad Carlton.

datachick
on 7/20/13 12:46 am - WA
VSG on 10/26/12
i can do my job blindfolded and drunk, but one week wasnt enough for me. physically i think it could have b.een ok, but the very first meeting i called into (i work from home most of the time) my emotions were a mess and i was so easily aggitated and frustrated and sensitive and upset that i declared i was taking another week off and shut down the computer.

VSG 10/26/12 • HEIGHT 5'4"
GW = 140 lbs met Month 9
CW = 133
lbs
Loss per Month: 8 >  9 > 7 > SURGERY  > 15 > 10 > 10 > 10 > 7 > 5 > 6
  > 6 > 5 > 5 > 0

It works if you work it; it sorta works if you sorta work it; and it doesn't work if you don't work it.

Most Active