Making the choice. My choice...Doing whatever it takes.

sheranfour
on 7/26/13 10:41 am

Reminding myself...and anyone who's listening... that these choices are ours to make.

This was a challenging week for me. I had some Doc appointments and testing in the evening after work, and they were going to interrupt my workout routine. I was so stressed about not wanting to miss a workout...that it actually effected my mood in a dramatic way. It was actually kind of scary. However...I realized that I can't fight it...this is who I am now, and under NO cir****tances will I do ANYTHING that may lead me down a negative path.

Yes...I changed my appointments. I got them all in...although they were less convenient and interrupted work. But these changes allowed me to keep my workout schedule as I planned and bad mood disappeared. ( I'm VERY lucky...my boss is also my friend..and my team is very supportive of all my decisions 100%)

Ok. I know this sounds a little obsessive to some. I'm not posting to be judged. These were MY decisions for ME. Not anyone else. My point is that I am so determined to not fall into ANYTHING that is a negative trigger for me that will lead me back to where I was before VSG...that right now I will do anything. A day at a time. I know my focus can change on a dime...so I grab on and do what I have to.

I'm happy. I feel great. It's all good.

So...this is me. How are you? Are you willing to do whatever it takes to get healthy and stay there? A day at a time?

Go for it gang!

Peace all!

~Deb

Not MY will, but HIS. Not MY time, but HIS.    
Mommydoo
on 7/26/13 12:16 pm - OR

I know exactly what you are saying!  I am only 9 days out but I have momentum and I don't want to loose it.  Unfortunately, I know we aren't supposed to do Zumba or intense exercise for 4 to 6 weeks.  But I want to capitalize on this weight-loss momentum, window, opportunity and not loose it. 

I am currently having a reaction to the dermabond and have severe itching, pain and therefore no/very little sleep.  But I want to do my Zumba class and I want to do the elliptical and my want my weight to melt away. 

So I go in on Tuesday for my allergic reaction check up and I plan to ask if I can do a low impact Zumba.  I just want to do some exercise other than walking.   Especially since it is so hot here! :)

Motivated and just don't want to loose it - that is one of my biggest fears.

Highest Weight: 308  Pre-Op Weight: 268 ~ Surgery 7/17/13         

jenn227
on 7/26/13 2:52 pm - NJ
VSG on 03/26/13

I so hear you!!  My OCD is kicking in big time, but I am trying to use it for good, not evil!  I went to the park today and told myself I would run for 15 min's...I felt ok at the end of that so I told myself, go for a little longer. Then I told myself I could definitely go another 5...that last minute SUCKED for me, but I did it!  20 minutes in a row was a huge improvement for me.  Anyway, yes, I find myself wanting to turn down social invitations or work to make sure I get my workouts in...and I love that!  I am making myself take off one day a week, though.  I don't want to lose it so much that I can't allow myself that one day a week. 

Jenn   Highest weight: 278. Starting weight: 275. Surgery weight: 253. Month 1: 25 lbs. Month 2: 8.8 lbs. Month 3: 12.6 lbs. Month 4: 7 lbs. Onederland 7/29/2013. Month 5: 7 lbs. Month 6: 5 lbs. Months 7-9: self-induced maintenance, then 5 lb gain.

sheranfour
on 7/26/13 8:43 pm

Hi Jenn!

So great to hear that I'm not alone in this. How awesome that you pushed it and got the added 5 in!!! I bet that TOTALLY built off itself into some AWESOME vibes!!!!!

I also take a day off. Usually Tuesday or Friday. Yesterday we had a resident elope...so I ran up and down hills for 30 min looking for him...when I got back to the facility I wasn't short of breath like everyone else ...as a matter of fact, I FELT GREAT! I didn't skip my workout when I got home, I actually had one of my best ever!

We've got this girlfriend!!!

Peace!

Not MY will, but HIS. Not MY time, but HIS.    
jenn227
on 7/27/13 1:41 pm - NJ
VSG on 03/26/13

Love it!

Jenn   Highest weight: 278. Starting weight: 275. Surgery weight: 253. Month 1: 25 lbs. Month 2: 8.8 lbs. Month 3: 12.6 lbs. Month 4: 7 lbs. Onederland 7/29/2013. Month 5: 7 lbs. Month 6: 5 lbs. Months 7-9: self-induced maintenance, then 5 lb gain.

AmyInOrlando
on 7/26/13 9:48 pm - Orlando, FL

Speaking of ZUMBA.....  Seven years ago I lost 150 pounds with diet and exercise.  I became a Zumba instructor and broke my foot teaching a class. (I didn't even fall, I just twisted my foot)  I was in a boot for 8 weeks.  When I lost the weight I started taking Ballroom, Latin and Swing dance classes as well.  Dancing was my passion.  Of course when I broke my foot, I couldn't do anything.  I got depressed, started binge eating, and although my foot healed, I was back in those old self-sabotaging behaviors.  Life happened, job changes, relationship changes... I could go on with excuses, yes, excuses.... not reasons.  I was embarrassed and humiliated by my weight gain, and I stopped Zumba and dancing.   Now, here I am 7 years later, having gained 75 of that 150 back.  That's why I chose to have the VSG.  I'm 60 years old now, may never teach Zumba again, but I can't wait to get back to dancing and going to Zumba classes.  I'm less then a week away, and I hope that damn tropical storm doesn't turn into a hurricane and ruin my travel plans to Mexico.  I'm scheduled for surgery on Aug. 1st.  I can't wait to start dancing again. 

Highest weight 272,  Weight on day of Gastric Sleeve 195, Goal weight 120, current weight 115.6

Nancybefree
on 7/26/13 10:20 pm
VSG on 11/21/12

I am definitely listening.  That is a powerful and inspiring post.  You are fighting for your life!

5'8"    HRW 357 on 7/09/12    SW 339   >196 8/26/13 (surgeon's goal)   TWL  193     CW   164 

*:•-:¦:-•:*1st pers. goal 178 on 10/16/13; ultimate goal 164 on 12/13/13*:•-:¦:-•:* 

(deactivated member)
on 7/27/13 1:27 am

My doctor once privately told me that a little OCD or type A behavior is not a bad thing when fighting to get to goal.  Of course it can be overdone, but he pointed out to me that most highly successful people have just a touch of this slightly obsessive behavior.  I know that I was quite determined and a bit obsessive during the weight loss phase.  It worked for me, and I know it will work for you.

starry957
on 7/27/13 2:54 am

OCD and anxiety are highly linked.  It would make sense that "feeding" anxiety with food could be the thing that brought (most) of us to this point.  The anxiety, OCD or whatever you want to label it doesn't disappear after surgery.  So, I would assume it has to get directed toward something other than eating (ie working out, etc...).  Guess the key is ensuring the strategies to cope with it are healthy.

Great post!

January 8th, 2013 - VSG with Dr Paul Sullivan (St Joe's Toronto)

frisco
on 7/27/13 9:54 am
I loved your post !!!!

Like it or not.... I'm going to judge you!!!!!
I say "Top Notch" !!!!

That's commitment, compliance and determination !!!!!

More people fall short on these traits or never had them. The most common reason people don't get to where they want to be with any WLS is that they either had a very lax approach or they just plain ran outta commitment.

If your new ...... Take notes from this poster.... Get you some of that..... Tune out the ones that talk about moderation and balanced approach. Moderation is a dangerous word and there is nothing really balanced about massive WL.....

Keep up the great work !!!!!

frisco

SW 338lbs. GW 175lbs. Goal in 11 months. CW 148lbs. WL 190lbs.

" To eat is a necessity, but to eat intelligently is an art "

VSG Maintenance Group Forum

http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

CAFE FRISCO at LapSF.com

Dr. Paul Cirangle

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 63 views