Darn Southern potluck parties

sillymilly
on 8/29/13 2:02 am - NC
VSG on 07/17/13

Everyone at work insisted I had to come to the office party and get myself something to eat.  Well I don't want to be antisocial, so I went.  Everywhere I looked was fried chicken, mac & cheese, chicken & dumplings, potato salad, beans & rice, and desserts, desserts, desserts!  Also a whole table of pizzas.

At least they had watermelon.  And I did get about 2 tablespoons of collard greens, because I know who made them and she makes the best greens you've ever tasted.  I think they're ok to eat though?  

Two months ago I would have filled my plate and been back for more - I love all of that stuff!  (I gained my last 25 lbs since I moved down here from Yankee-land.)   This has been the hardest social event for me so far.  

Highest weight:  287    Surgery weight:  279   Current weight:  150

cajunlady1958
on 8/29/13 2:09 am - Broussard, LA
Revision on 12/30/15
You did very well for your potluck social. I know how hard it is I live in the south also, seems like everything around here revolves around food. I always go to a social with a bottle of water in my hand and check out the table and see what is available. Then I finish my bottle of water and wait 30 minutes and then i get my plate and by that time I'm not attacking the buffet table.

You survived what you thought would kill you. Now straighten your crown and go forward like the Queen you are!

abbyluwho
on 8/29/13 2:10 am - kc, MO
VSG on 06/25/13 with

I haven't yet had to do a pot luck since my surgery.  My family reunion is in just a few weeks, that will be my first big test.

I'm glad you were able to find something to nosh on, and walk away from the junks! 

debk21
on 8/29/13 2:17 am - Mansfield, TX

You did great.  You did just what you were supposed to do.  Check it all out, see what is there that moves you toward your goal, instead of away from it and eat that.  Good job!

Deb

Goal Reached in 12.5 Months
HW: 274   Pre-OpW: 266   SW: 254   CW: 125  GW: 145

You must permanently change your lifestyle if you want your weight loss to be permanent. You can do it!

71dart
on 8/29/13 2:21 am
VSG on 08/06/12 with
Fried chicken breast, remove skin, eat a couple ozs of white meat. That's what I do at your typical potluck. Works for me any way.

frisco
on 8/29/13 2:30 am

It takes about 6 months for your brain to get used to "new normals".........

And if you don't switch your brain up to these new normal...... it's gonna be VERY HARD.......

I guaranty you 100% that I could go through that food line and pick me out a nice "on plan"  meal........ I love potlucks/self serve...... I eat at them regularly at races and location productions both domestic and international.

Watermelon.....not good. I woulda had a little protein and a little collards...... or just nothing till I got home.

During WL, if it was a choice to be "antisocial" or stay on plan...... I'd be antisocial in a heartbeat. But there really is no reason to be antisocial.... just gotta learn to navigate.

And yes..... the southern food thing is a bit ridiculous..... but don't think potlucks everywhere else is cucumbers and tofu......

You'll get a handle on it......

frisco

SW 338lbs. GW 175lbs. Goal in 11 months. CW 148lbs. WL 190lbs.

" To eat is a necessity, but to eat intelligently is an art "

VSG Maintenance Group Forum

http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

CAFE FRISCO at LapSF.com

Dr. Paul Cirangle

dmhe
on 8/29/13 3:15 am - TX

I used to be all about a pot luck at work!  I don't work in an office anymore so I am safe from those now, but I have a friend that is so grossed out by pot luck dinners because she is a germ freak.  I have never thought it about it that way but now I just convince myself that somebody did not wash their hands or other gross things if I get tempted! :)

Jackie T.
on 8/29/13 3:20 am - KS
VSG on 12/19/12

I would have gone for the chicken.  Dense protein is always my go to.  It would not have bothered me that was fried, it should have been less dry and I would have removed the skin.  The watermelon did not do anything for you other than maybe give you some water.  I really don't mind the potlucks because there is always some kind of meat on them and that is what I eat now maybe with a little vegetable.  I don't crave the other stuff so I stay away from it.  The toppings off the pizza would have been my next choice because of the cheese and meat (no crust).

Highest Weight: 285 SW: 264.6 CW:163.1   Surgeon's GW: 189  PCP's GW: 165-170  

My GW:  154   MFP:  jteaford                  

sillymilly
on 8/29/13 5:07 am - NC
VSG on 07/17/13

Wow, I thought anything fried was off limits.  I can pick at the chicken as long as I avoid the breading? 

Highest weight:  287    Surgery weight:  279   Current weight:  150

KathyA999
on 8/29/13 6:07 am

The standard response here would be, follow your surgeon's program.  That said, a lot of surgeons and nutritionists recommend far higher levels of carbs, and lower levels of fat, than a lot of us eat. For me personally, eating fat, per se, isn't what got me fat, which seems counter-intuitive I know.  Eating refined carbs with fat is what got me fat.  (Think baked goods, ice cream, you know the stuff I'm talking about.)  In the absence of carbs, especially refined carbs, the body metabolizes fat and protein similarly (very slowly) and typically doesn't store it, which again seems counter-intuitive.  Read Good Calories, Bad Calories and/or What Makes Us Fat, both by Gary Taubes.  (Good Calories, Bad Calories is fairly dense, but if you happen to come across it in a bookstore, scan the conclusions chapter.  What Makes Us Fat is much more accessible.)

Anyway, it's what worked/works for me.  Protein first, then (healthy) fats, then veg/fruit, nuts, seeds. 

Height 5' 7"   High Wt 268 / Consult Wt 246 / Surgery Wt 241 / Goal Wt 150 / Happy place 135-137 / Current Wt 143
Tracker starts at consult weight       

In maintenance since December 2011.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 178 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 451 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 475 views