Bought a mandoline slicer...sliced off the end of my pinky! OUCH!!!

abbeycat43
on 9/1/13 2:20 pm - MO
VSG on 06/12/13

Thought I would make some zucchini chips today and slice up some cucumbers for my daughter...yeah, that didn't go so well...could kick myself for not following the mandoline slicing rules of always use the finger guard...it's a very important part of the process...so...don't make the stupid mistake I made!!  I made 8-10 slices, thought to myself... I need to get the guard and in that exact moment sliced off the tip of my pinky and as my luck would have it, I was making thick cucumber slices...wish I had started with the really thin zucchini slices...

TeacherSue
on 9/1/13 2:30 pm - Collinsville, IL

Oh my gosh, my girlfriend just did this very thing!!  She didn't go to the ER, but she probably should have.  Her pinky tip was hanging on, so she wrapped it real tight...seems to be healing...bled horribly!

I want to buy one; I will be sure and be careful!!

Did you go to the ER?

abbeycat43
on 9/1/13 2:45 pm - MO
VSG on 06/12/13

Yes, it wouldn't stop bleeding, almost passed out and I didn't have anything hanging on...took it clean off. My teenage permit driver was a trooper...she remained calm, got my purse and my shoes, got me in the car and drove there like a pro!!!

They put a little gel foam pad over it to help with clotting...it will stay on for 4-5 days and has to be soaked off and wrapped it up...looks like a drum stick on my hand...the foam pad made it feel sooo much better!!  Got some pain meds (which was a bit difficult to get them to give me liquid).

They said they see a couple of these a week...I even read in the reviews about all the people that did this...I totally knew better!! Could just kick myself.

frisco
on 9/1/13 2:41 pm

OUCH is right..... gave me the chills !

I like and use a mandolin slicer almost daily..... like any other "tool" you need to learn how to use it and get good at it.

I still use EXTRA caution when using one. And yes, use the guard !

In my feature of the Mandolin Slicer at Cafe Frisco I recommend using hand protection with what is known as a "Cut Glove".

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_0_9?url=search-alias% 3Daps&field-keywords=cut+glove&sprefix=cut+glove%2Caps%2C365

Hope your OK....

frisco

SW 338lbs. GW 175lbs. Goal in 11 months. CW 148lbs. WL 190lbs.

" To eat is a necessity, but to eat intelligently is an art "

VSG Maintenance Group Forum

http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

CAFE FRISCO at LapSF.com

Dr. Paul Cirangle

abbeycat43
on 9/1/13 2:52 pm - MO
VSG on 06/12/13

Thanks Frisco...definitely going to order the glove...thanks for the info.

It was small enough they couldn't re-attach it, but big enough to alter the end of my finger.  I joked about "wondering if I lost any weight"...I deal with stress with humor...clearly!!

Member Services
on 9/1/13 2:47 pm - Irvine, CA

OH my gosh,  be careful!!!!!

abbeycat43
on 9/1/13 2:58 pm - MO
VSG on 06/12/13

Thanks. I will be from now on...

TeacherSue
on 9/1/13 3:37 pm - Collinsville, IL

My friend was the same way...said she could have kicked herself...knew better, but it happened so fast!  Glad your little permit driver was a star!  Take care and glad you are feeling better!

TexasTerritory
on 9/1/13 5:46 pm
VSG on 07/22/13
MAJOR OUCH

(deactivated member)
on 9/1/13 8:46 pm
VSG on 06/10/13

Oh Abbeycat,

That hurt just reading about it. Sounds so awful!! So glad you are doing better now. And serious kudos to your permit driver!

Paula

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 69 views