How much can you eat?

Jsaun
on 11/23/13 2:01 am

I am 10 months post op have lost 127 pounds with the sleeve and I now can eat more than I thought I would be able to at this point. I have no probelms with any food as long  it is not too dry. Basically I am posting this so in my head I can realize this could become an issue. It seems like I have a bigger sleeve than some people. So what Im getting at is post op at least one year out what is your portion sizes? Can of progresso soup or a whole wrap etc? 

INgirl
on 11/23/13 3:04 am

I'm 2 1/2yrs+ out, and it really all depends on the food- but it's a heck of a lot less than it was before kiss.

For me- depends on the food I'm eating, how fast, etc. A fellow sleever- MacMadame does a test about once a year, if I recall, to see where she stands- the cottage cheese test.. take a measured amount in a container, mark the level- eat as much as you can comfortably, quickly (so you aren't digesting) and stop when you are done/full- and re-measure what's left by whatever means you choose- that's your "capacity." It's an interesting test for ****s n giggles, but I've not bothered..  

For me, depending on the day and the food- somewhere between 1/2c in volume +/- up to maybe 3/4c..? though I've never measured the full volume of my meal by packing it into a measuring cup.. 

Take bfast I had today, and I'm only answering this as I actually measured today, I don't much anymore- but I was curious, so might as well post it since you asked- right?!  :)

1 large duck egg (about 3oz, equiv to 1.5 chix egg) over easy

1.5oz moist roasted turkey breast 

1oz full fat Fage GY

2T smooth salsa

1/2C steamed broc with a dab of butter 

Total overkill, and I knew it.. but it looked pretty on the plate.

Of this, I ate about 4/5 of that egg, about 1/2 of the turkey, 1/2 of the Fage & 1/2 of the salsa (I like eating GY as a condiment with hot sauce & eggs..) and about 3 small florets of soft steamed broc. The remainder was happily finished off in a few bites by my husband. In total volume- less than 1/2c, but it was rich & fatty, so it filled me fast. Duck eggs are denser- albumen & yolk, higher in fat/prot.. plus tastier to me.. for bfast at work- I frequently have 1 hard boiled duck egg and am satisfied, not stuffed. 3oz.

Right now- I'm quite full, hence I couldn't/didn't clean my plate, that happens a lot. 

If I eat slidery things like wraps with lunch meat- or soups, I likely could finish nearly the whole thing. Lunch meat goes through me, most veggies do as well, and carbs of course- like pasta, bread or other grain/starch based foods alone- no real restriction- but those foods are not on my menu save for rare occasions.. My typical meal is about 2.5oz-3oz solid meat, 1/4C-1/3C cooked veggies and some fat, and I don't always finish.. just depends on the meat.. I love salads- I can eat a big salad just like a normie and be full (unlike a normie who sees salad as a starter course)- but if there's meat & cheese/fat on it- like Cobb salad, and I eat the protein/fats first, I can't get the greens in at all.

Jsaun
on 11/24/13 12:04 am

Thats me in a nut shell minus the duck eggs.....lol.. It really does depend on the foods like  slider vs. dense protein. For breakfast I just eat an egg scrambled with two pieces of deli ham and an onion the size of a chicken egg. I eat the whole thing and I am pretty full. A good friend of mine is a year out from the rny and he cant eat half of what I can. And they compare our sleeve size to that of a person with rny is totally wrong. 

INgirl
on 11/24/13 1:14 am

It can vary so much that I wouldn't even bother trying to compare sleeve to RNY or even sleeve to sleeve. As you can see, we are all over the map.. My two friends with RNY can eat significantly more than I can at about the same period out- 2-3 yrs.. so we are all different, both starting anatomies, and end results from surgical skill/types/techniques. We just have a handy little helper in our reduced capacity- what we choose to do with it is what determines whether we succeed or not.

Minemake14
on 11/23/13 3:20 am

I am about 9 months - I can eat about 4 oz of protein and a tablespoon or so of veggies.  I don't think I could eat a whole wrap. Soup goes down easy so yea I could probably do a whole can. 

emelar
on 11/23/13 3:21 am - TX

I've never officially measured, but my guess is around 1 to 1 1/2 cups - 8-12 oz.  I know I can eat a cup of yogurt then a few ounces of meat.  If I eat the meat first, I can't eat all the yogurt.  So it really, really depends on what you're eating.  Salad?  Lots of salad.  Soup?  Total slider - goes right through.  Dense protein - on a hungry day, I can get in around 6 oz and a few bites of something else, and then I'm done.

I can eat a normal plate of food - all of the protein, most of the veggies, and a bite or two of whatever else.  I know that my capacity would freak out a lot of people on this board, but I feel like I'm getting my nutrients through food, I'm not hungry, I don't snack, and I'm easily maintaining - so it's all good for me!

Breakfast this morning, a few ounces of pork tenderloin, an egg over easy, and a serving of grits.  Ate everything but about half of the serving of grits.

Julia HasHerLifeNow
on 11/23/13 3:52 am
VSG on 10/09/12

I also feel like my capacity is much more now. But still...when I measure I tend to freak out a lot less. Today at dinner I had 2.5 oz of filet of sole and three forkfulls of baked butternut squash. That was it. I was full. Not just satisfied, full like with the sneezies which is what I get when my vagus nerve feels that my sleeve is full. I could not eat another bite. 

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com 5ft0; highest weight 222; surgery weight 208; current weight 120

PsychoWriter
on 11/23/13 4:39 am - St Petersburg, FL
I'm 2 yrs out. I went to applebees a week or so back and ordered this parmesan steak with shrimp. It was 9 oz before cooking and had like 6 Lil shrimp. Normally is eat half and maybe some veg and take the rest home but i hasn't eaten all day-bad on me i know-and i was able to eat the whole thing. I felt stuffed, not drop dead on the floor binge at a buffet stuffed but i knew i couldn't eat any more.

*Now is blessed, the rest...remembered. -Jim Morrison*

cajunlady1958
on 11/23/13 4:46 am - Broussard, LA
Revision on 12/30/15
At 19 months out this is what I can eat at one meal.

3 oz. of protein
1/2 of a side salad
2 bites of green beans

The only thing I have to be careful is the grazing. If I'm not careful I can eat too much at one time and then I become sick, like throw up sick. I'm worried about Thanksgiving, so much food and I'm can't eat it all. Also I'm mad at myself I just looked over my weight loss scale and I am about the same weight as I was at this time last year, damn.

You survived what you thought would kill you. Now straighten your crown and go forward like the Queen you are!

cece58
on 11/23/13 11:52 am - CA

Your capacity will depend upon the bougie size that your surgeon used. As your stomach heals you will be able to eat more. My surgeon used a 32f. I am 3 years out and can eat 3 oz of dense protein. Of course, softer foods go down a lot easier and I have never tried to eat a whole can of soup.  I know may people who have more capacity because they have a 40f sleeve. Bougie size really does make a difference in capacity even though that is a topic for a lot of argument. I think that a well healed 40f sleeve can hold 12 oz of dense protein but I may be mistaken on that. 

"What lies behind us and what lies before us are small matters compared to what lies within us"
Lisa

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 63 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 246 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 314 views