Staying Strong

RissaCup
on 1/9/14 3:20 am

My Surgery is 02/05 and with each passing day I'm getting anxious and excited at the same time. Then the shriek of panic comes over me - Im only 26! what am i doing -  But i weigh 280 - WTF? Ahh any way to help relieve this anxiety?

Karissa H 5'4.5" | A 27 | HW 311 | SW 270 CW 142.4 | GW #1 147 | GW #2 133 comparison          

Gwen M.
on 1/9/14 3:24 am
VSG on 03/13/14

My go-to method of anxiety relief is distraction.  I read a LOT when I'm feeling anxiety.  

Xanax also helps.  

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Brittany S.
on 1/9/14 3:32 am
VSG on 11/06/13

I was there just 6 weeks ago. Anxiety was at its highest! I'm 27 and my highest weight was 238, the morning of surgery. It gets better. MUCH better! I'm down 40lbs and the anxiety feels like nothing now!! Good luck to you!

Height: 5'3"   Heaviest Weight: 240lbs   Current Weight: 227lbs  

Docs Goal: 140lbs   My Goal: 130lbs or less

The_True_KayD
on 1/9/14 3:36 am

I am 52. I wish that this was available when I was 26! It would have saved me so much sadness and hurt! I had my surgery in December. I meditate alot. I calm those thoughts. Then I look at the negative thoughts and evaluate them. I often discover that the thoughts are a bit irrational. I turned 53 a week after my surgery. It was the best birthday present that I have ever given myself! I was uncomfortable for about three days afterwards. It was like I did a million sit ups. I decided that I would just follow the plan as outlined. I have lost 23lbs since surgery for a total of 38lbs. Please don't let your fear stop you from doing something that will help you feel and look great! Would you rather weigh something in "Onederland" next year at this time or risk weighing even more? I know that if I didnt do something that I would be seeing the 300's. 

HW: 249  SW: 233  VSG: Dec 3, 2013    

Keith L.
on 1/9/14 3:55 am - Navarre, FL
VSG on 09/28/12

Go for a walk. You will be fine. We all went through some version of that. Focus on that you weigh 280 now and next year at this time you will probably be more like 160 (or maybe even at your goal weight, you are young it is very doable.

VSG: 9/28/2012 - Dr. Sergio Verboonen  My Food/Recipe Blog - MyBigFatFoodie.com

?My Fitness Pal Profile ?View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com

DeeNY52
on 1/9/14 4:00 am

Be glad, Karissa, that you can do this now!  I am 61 and got sleeved November 26, losing slowly (20 lbs since surgery, 40 total, 40 more to go) and for the first time in DECADES I am feeling optimistic about summer.  Shorts!  Bathing suit!  Sundress!

Being fat stinks, and by getting the sleeve now, by taking control now you have trim, fit years ahead of you.  Years when you will not develop diabetes, high blood pressure, joint and back pain.

Waiting for science to develop a miracle drug that melts fat isn't ever going to work.  Less food, more exercise - and the sleeve is the tool that makes it possible for us to eat less, lose weight and be able to do exercise.

This is a gift to your young self so that when you are my age you will be one of those fabulous women who looks and acts years younger.  If 26 year old Karissa is anxious, tell her to have a conversation with 56 year old Karissa who will be grateful, gorgeous and healthy.

RissaCup
on 1/9/14 4:15 am

Thanks Everyone... I suffer from anxiety so this is a real test for me. Nothing is deterring me away form the surgery, its just stressful being stuck inside my own mind!

I have suffered my entire life from obesity and so has my mother. One thing I'm so happy about is before she wouldn't even consider the surgery. Now that I'm getting it, shes looking at it. Its something she needs and I pray that she gets!

Karissa H 5'4.5" | A 27 | HW 311 | SW 270 CW 142.4 | GW #1 147 | GW #2 133 comparison          

KrissyKooKoo
on 1/9/14 5:41 am
RNY on 07/22/19

I'm 23 (almost 24) and I am going through the same thing.  They gave me a tentative surgery date of Feb 6th, and now that I have been submitted to insurance it is starting to feel real.  My mom is also considering surgery now, but she wants to see how I do first lol.  Hang in there!  We are undergoing a life changing surgery, so even though the chance of dying is ridiculously low it is still normal to be nervous!

grayC
on 1/9/14 4:29 am
VSG on 05/01/13

HONEY GIRL LISTEN TO ME.....I WISH I DID THIS AT 26!!!!

I wasted SOOO much time being unhealthy and miserable!

the panic is normal..TRY TO DISTRACT YOURSELF..

before you know it, you'll be on your way to being healthy!

(deactivated member)
on 1/9/14 4:44 am - Canada

I'm 45 and looked into this surgery close to 15 years ago.  Now that I am post-op I am kicking myself for not doing this when I first wanted to.  The difference between 30 and 45 is huge in what your body can handle as far as carrying extra weight.  I missed out on so much during that time, things I will do now but wish I had done before.

You are never too old or young to fix your weight issues.  But it sure will be nice living the rest of your life normally then waiting and wishing you hadn't.

God bless,

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 66 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 252 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 319 views