Obsessed with the scale

Kvp1029
on 1/27/14 8:37 am
Revision on 12/28/13

I'm 4 weeks and two days post op and I am obsessed with the scale.  I weigh first thing in the morning and before bed.   Sometimes I weigh several times in a row and get different numbers.  Is my scale faulty.  The scale isn't moving.  No 3 lb weight loss no 5 lb weight loss just varying back and forth two pounds.   I'm doing my part and being sleeve compliant.  Now the sleeve needs to do its job and take more fat off my a$$! Grrrrr

sjkern
on 1/27/14 8:52 am - wadena, MN

I am gonna be getting the "sleeve" done some time this year. not sure till after my meetings. But been on diet my whole life and didn't have this problem your having.

You should probley try other scales for sure. i weight 330 lbs and not stop....it is not digital.....like an old scare but new from wal mart.. It's called "Paylor".

and work great for me....just thought i would throw this in......

Annievvho
on 1/27/14 9:04 am - Roanoke, VA
VSG on 11/29/13

Ok, first off, you might be in a stall. Happened for me at about 4 weeks out, lasted almost 2 weeks with no change - just minor fluctuations. It happens, even with compliance. It will break, and you will start losing again as long as you stay on plan.

Second, you're gonna make yourself crazy weighing multiple times a day. Seriously, and with love, I tell you to put the scales away. Set a time interval that's healthier. If you can't possibly go a week, weigh every 3 days. Compulsive overeating/binge eating, etc. are eating disorders. Those of us suffering from them are at risk for developing other eating disorders during weight loss. All of the necessary food and weight tracking that is necessary for my success pushes my brain to desire developing an unhealthy obsession, too. We have to be in control of these urges too, or we will make ourselves unhealthy in a different way. I would recommend weighing once a week, or at the very least only one time a day. 

sjkern
on 1/27/14 9:07 am - wadena, MN
On January 27, 2014 at 5:04 PM Pacific Time, Annievvho wrote:

Ok, first off, you might be in a stall. Happened for me at about 4 weeks out, lasted almost 2 weeks with no change - just minor fluctuations. It happens, even with compliance. It will break, and you will start losing again as long as you stay on plan.

Second, you're gonna make yourself crazy weighing multiple times a day. Seriously, and with love, I tell you to put the scales away. Set a time interval that's healthier. If you can't possibly go a week, weigh every 3 days. Compulsive overeating/binge eating, etc. are eating disorders. Those of us suffering from them are at risk for developing other eating disorders during weight loss. All of the necessary food and weight tracking that is necessary for my success pushes my brain to desire developing an unhealthy obsession, too. We have to be in control of these urges too, or we will make ourselves unhealthy in a different way. I would recommend weighing once a week, or at the very least only one time a day. 

I agree what she said.!!!

Kvp1029
on 1/27/14 10:24 am
Revision on 12/28/13

You are so right about transferring addictions.  And I think I'm behaving in a crazy irrational manor.  I just want to start having all the success everyone else is having :(

i vow to only weigh once per day and work towards weekly weigh ins.  Thanks for reeling me back in!  

min2758
on 1/27/14 10:37 am, edited 1/27/14 10:38 am - Boise, ID

I am about 11 weeks out, I'm losing count at this point, and I've had a few stalls lasting longer than a week.  What helps me get through it is the knowledge that this is PERMANENT.  There's no going back.  There's no putting the stomach back in.  There's no stuffing myself with food because I'm sad/angry/depressed/bored etc.  No mindless eating, no comfort eating.  In a way, that's comforting.  I can't and WON'T go back to the old habits because it isn't physically possible.

I firmly believe stress and worry is a HUGE factor in weight loss stalls. Yes we all experience them, but the more antsy and upset I get, the longer it lasts.  Every time without fail, once I stop stressing it and keep on keepin' on then poof, the scale starts moving again.  In my case, I quickly lose 4-5 pounds, and then hang out at the same weight for a week or more.  Its weird. 

Try not to worry.  It won't last.  You have a LOT of changes happening right now!  Your body is probably reeling from shock over what it just went through; give it time to adjust to the new normal.  Your body just lost 80% of its stomach! 

Keep following your diet plan and the weight WILL. COME. OFF.  I guarantee it!  By the way, I've thought I was a "slow loser" with all my week long stalls, but at 2.5 months out (11/12/13 was my date) I have lost 38 pounds since surgery.  I'm 1/3 of the way to goal.  Being a "slow loser".

Atl_Gadget_Grrl but u
can call me Charlotte

on 1/27/14 10:42 am, edited 1/27/14 10:43 am
VSG on 06/12/13

Reality check time. Get off the scale.

This isn't a sprint, it's a marathon, and nobody ever promised you a multipound loss per day. Release yourself from time pressure. Focus on behavior - following your plan, not numbers on the scale. Seek to get to a healthy place with your relationship with the scale. 

Also, really upping your water intake tends to keep your metabolism going. Shoot for 100 oz per day.

Good luck

Laurie

Sleeved 6/12/13 - 100 pounds lost to get to goal!

G5x5
on 1/27/14 11:36 am - VA

Stop weighing at night.  Weigh first thing in the morning, as near the same time each day as possible, in all your naked glory, after any ...ahem... "elimination" that might be needed.  That's your number and you can live with it for 24 hours.

Any other measurements you take during the day will be skewed by water variance, and other factors, from day to day and are therefore completely worthless.

Scales aren't perfect either, and I noticed with mine that the heavier I was the more variance it could report in any back to back measurements.  As the weight, and I guess I really mean "fat" melted away, the scale got very accurate from one measurement to another.  I can step on and off it 10x now (I don't but...) and it will report the same number.  It also matters whether you're using a newer digital scale or an old fashion analog scale,  I recommend a nice digital one from Best Buy.  My favorite is the Fitbit Aria but there are others just as good.

HW: 255 (6/5/13), SW: 240 (6/19/13), CW: 169 (9/16/14)

M1: -26,  M2: -17,  M3: -5,  M4: -13  M5: -12  M6: -11  M7: -8

M8-10: Skinny Maintenance (10k Training)   M11-13: On Break

M14+: **CROSSTRAINING FOR ALL AROUND FITNESS**

Google NSNG and learn the right way to eat each day

bjones9679
on 1/27/14 12:32 pm

I agree with the others here.  Weigh yourself only once or twice a week or you'll make yourself crazy.  I decided right after the surgery do that.  I'm 10 weeks today and have had a couple times where the weight slowed or even stopped coming off for a week or two but then it starts again.  At this point, I've lost 40 pounds post surgery and that's ok in the big picture.  Remember your body is adjusting to all these changes and if you've been exercising too, you may be buiding some muscle. Stress will also make a difference in your weight loss.  I use the Fitbit too which really helps keep track of your steps.  Good luck.

Machelle.K
on 1/28/14 10:15 am - WA
VSG on 11/06/12

I'd suggest weighing in weekly, and stick to it or this can drive you crazy. At one month I did this and it was a very sound decision. So every Sunday is my weigh in! Good Luck!

Machelle 11/6/2012 with Dr. Houseworth WA

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 75 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 275 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 331 views