Make the process easier on yourself: Eat real food!

G5x5
on 3/10/14 12:11 pm - VA

Eggs and turkey bacon for breakfast.  Three 3 ounces servings of fish throughout the day.  That's the base of it, but you'll pick of small amounts of protein from other foods that balance out the meals.

A three ounce serving of fish should have around 18-20 grams of protein (allowing for some variation there).  That should get you to the minimum levels.  The eggs and bacon are there to ensure being over goal on protein.  Then when you factor in all the smaller amounts from the various items it gets there.

In my opinion, 95-110 is more of a long range target.  That'll be hard to hit if you're doing around 700 calories for the weight loss phase.  This is another of those places where you have to decide how much of the NUTs advice you're going to follow.

NUTs tend to give out generalized advice that works for the long haul for a broad spectrum of patients.  You can evaluate yourself and specialize a plan that works better for you.

HW: 255 (6/5/13), SW: 240 (6/19/13), CW: 169 (9/16/14)

M1: -26,  M2: -17,  M3: -5,  M4: -13  M5: -12  M6: -11  M7: -8

M8-10: Skinny Maintenance (10k Training)   M11-13: On Break

M14+: **CROSSTRAINING FOR ALL AROUND FITNESS**

Google NSNG and learn the right way to eat each day

themexcellentone
on 3/10/14 9:38 am
VSG on 07/08/13 with

Real food is where it's at.  And it's cheaper than all those protein supplements, tastes better, and has other nutrients that the supplements don't. 

VSG by Nick Nicholson in 2013. Revised to DS 2/23/2023 by Chad Carlton.

jubjub
on 3/10/14 9:59 am - Palm Desert, CA
VSG on 06/25/12

Right on! I can see it in the stats I track for myself.  Today's a good example.  I ate all "real" food.  It's 7pm.  I've had less than 900 calories.  I've had grass fed ground beef, steak, a bit of cheese, a few nuts, some honey, some greens, etc.  The only processed thing was some taco sauce I had on the ground beef.  I KNOW for certain that I could have easily eaten a couple of quest bars - they would not have changed my hunger level one bit at this point - i'd be eating them because I wanted to, not because they did anything for me.  Now I'm going to work out and burn up most of the 900 calories consumed...

Real food. It's what's for dinner.  Or should be.

Heaviest: 313/VSG Pre: 295/Surgery: 260/Maintenance target:190 - Recent: 195 (08/15/19)

1st 2015&2016 12-Hour Time Trial UMCA 50-59 Age Group
1st 2017 Race Across the West 4-Person 50-59 Age Group
4th 2019 Race Across America 8 Person Team

(deactivated member)
on 3/10/14 11:01 am

What a wonderful post and reminder for all of us! I know that I also made everything very simply during weight loss. I didn't try to create recipes with multiple ingredients because it became difficult to track when I did that.

I will admit that I am loathe to give up my protein coffee in the morning though! I'm not a big morning eater and I believe in the need for my body to have some sort of protein in the first hour after getting up. Then at 10:00 am I have a serving of Greek Yogurt and wild blueberries.

You have me beat on pre op eating!!!! I would have done the chili dogs and the Doritos (Nacho Cheese, of course), but not the slurpee. I would have had a big old glass of ice cold milk!  Boy, I don't miss those days at all. I mentioned to someone last week that I haven't had a sandwich in over two years and the look of disbelief was hysterical!

Stacy_WLS
on 3/10/14 11:14 am

I definitely agree that real food makes this process easier.  I do use some supplements for simplicity and enjoyment (I am addicted to chike).  

I was was talking to my friend today and was saying how worried I was that the weight loss would stop.  She said oh how could it, you can't eat anything.  I responded that when I ate the right things I couldn't eat much, but if I eat the worn things I could do some damage.

VSG: 12/12/13, LBL, small TL, BL/BA: 11/7/14 Twins 12/9/18 HW after Twins 260. 5'10 37 years old - Stacy_WLS (MFP)

dacamo
on 3/10/14 2:14 pm
VSG on 10/12/12
Love the real foods too...do they call that clean eating now a days? Stacy, Hve only recently discovered Chike,ordered the Very Vanilla protein powder & luv that stuff! Do u hv any of ur favs to recommend? Thanks

My Macronutrient Breakdown

Daily Average for the Last 30 Days
This content requires the Adobe Flash Player. Get Flash
Like this widget? Get your own at ObesityHelp.com
Blithe1212
on 3/10/14 2:25 pm
VSG on 03/05/14

I am only 6 days out, I have to use protein shakes and drinks right now. I hate them! I can't wait for real food. I know I am not getting enough protein and I hate all the chemical tasting diet stuff. Just gonna ride this out another wee****il I can have some yogurt. Protein shakes worked for me if I was on the go and couldn't stop to eat but that wasn't often. 

frisco
on 3/10/14 2:36 pm

Great post !!!

Some of my many AhHa moments came from my travels post-op and when things really started to "click" and I really started to "connect" everything together food wise.......

America is NOT a great model for eating and food...... period.....

In Europe and Asia it is very typical for people to shop for there food daily..... the towns are set-up like that.... small grocery stores on every other block.....

Fresh meats and produce daily......

Kitchens are tiny, refrigerators are 1/2 the size, the ovens can roast a chicken but no way a turkey.

Plates are smaller.... forks are smaller..... portions are smaller.......

Italians do eat a lot of pasta and Asia eats a lot of rice...... interesting though..... the higher the level Asian food...... the less rice is served.

In Italy for lunch one time I had Porketta...... I watched my Italian host as he drizzled some olive oil and a sprinkle of parmesana over the roast pork and vegetable dish..... simple real food and it was just right!

The other interesting thing about Europe and Asia..... more Asia than Europe..... Yes, they have all the fast food chains, but they have "tons" of places that have good food that is fast !!!!

Good food can be simple..... that's one of the criteria I follow for Cafe Frisco...... Simple and fast !!!

Here is a plate that I made myself at a Cafe in Milan........ I crafted this on the bread plate from the man dish and let the others share the rest.

Perfect VSG maintenance meal for me at a restaurant. As I was taking this pic..... The owner came over and looked at what I was doing..... called the chef over.... they looked at my plate than spoke some Italian..... than the owner tells me "we will serve this at the bar".......

Great post..... keep it simple and clean !!!!

frisco

SW 338lbs. GW 175lbs. Goal in 11 months. CW 148lbs. WL 190lbs.

" To eat is a necessity, but to eat intelligently is an art "

VSG Maintenance Group Forum

http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

CAFE FRISCO at LapSF.com

Dr. Paul Cirangle

dacamo
on 3/10/14 3:02 pm
VSG on 10/12/12
Oh My,that is very appealing to the eye & for sure,tastes darn good too! Thank you for sharing your travel experiences. Interesting. Of course,the subject of food is always entertaining in my book.

My Macronutrient Breakdown

Daily Average for the Last 30 Days
This content requires the Adobe Flash Player. Get Flash
Like this widget? Get your own at ObesityHelp.com
Most Active