How Can I Slow Down My Weight Loss?

fullersleeve
on 3/24/14 2:24 am - Overland Park, KS

I am 14 weeks post op vsg and have lost 70 pounds. Even on traditional diets, I have always lost weight rapidly (of course not able to maintain it).  While I am grateful for the rapid weight loss, I want to slow things down a bit.  Is there anyway to do that? I have never had any week I didn't lose weight and I am still losing from 2.4 to 4.6 pounds per week.

mickeymantle
on 3/24/14 3:05 am - Eugene/Springfield, OR
VSG on 07/22/13

keep losing while its easy , if you must slow down you need  to raise  calories, but you need to do it healthy , more protein or veggies and fruit 

green.jpg

175 lb  lost,412 hw 336sw,241 cw surgery July 22 2013,surgeon Dr Colin MacColl,

Tracy D.
on 3/24/14 4:11 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

I think you should relax.  The rate that you're losing now is NOT the rate that you will be losing at 6 months from now...guaranteed.  

Are you eating 700-800 calories per day?  Are you getting 80 grams of protein and between 20-40 grams of carb per day?  Are you drinking 80 oz. of water per day?  If you have answered "yes" to all of these I wouldn't advise making any changes....other than to add some weight-bearing exercise 3 times a week to help you with muscle retention.  

If you want to play around with slowing it down you can add 100 extra calories per day (more protein and/or fat) and see if that helps.  But I promise you there will come a day when you'll remember this time fondly 

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

(deactivated member)
on 3/24/14 4:12 am

Why do you wish to slow down?  I can tell you just how to do it, but it's really hard for me to think of a good reason why you would want to do it.  You do understand that this rapid weight loss will soon stop on it's own and it will be a drag out fight to get the last few pounds off? Again, if you are serious and really want to slow things down or even stop it, just PM me and I can have your weight loss stow down to a crawl in a matter of days.  Really, I am an expert at it.  :)

Jackie T.
on 3/24/14 4:37 am - KS
VSG on 12/19/12

I am sorry but I am not comprehending why you want things to slow down.  There are ways to do it but it is important that right now you enjoy the weight loss, keep eating healthy and learn to change your old eating habits.  This is your "school time" and you need to take advantage of it.  In a couple of months, things will slow down on their own.  The first three months I lost a lot, then it slowed for the next 3 months, and then it slowed a little more the next three months.  It is now at a crawl. I am okay with where I am but would truthfully would like to get these last few pounds off.  Right now it is harder to eat very much but as you get further out it will be alot easier to eat more so it will be very important right now to learn how to eat correctly to make it easier when you weight loss does slow down and you are wishing it would come off faster.  Celebrate your success but don't ever take it for granted! 

Highest Weight: 285 SW: 264.6 CW:163.1   Surgeon's GW: 189  PCP's GW: 165-170  

My GW:  154   MFP:  jteaford                  

G5x5
on 3/24/14 4:42 am - VA

Trust me when I say that when your body gets near where it should be, the weight loss will slow down automatically without you doing anything.

As long as it continues to progress, you probably aren't at your natural weight.

HW: 255 (6/5/13), SW: 240 (6/19/13), CW: 169 (9/16/14)

M1: -26,  M2: -17,  M3: -5,  M4: -13  M5: -12  M6: -11  M7: -8

M8-10: Skinny Maintenance (10k Training)   M11-13: On Break

M14+: **CROSSTRAINING FOR ALL AROUND FITNESS**

Google NSNG and learn the right way to eat each day

Nikke2003
on 3/24/14 4:44 am - PA
VSG on 05/13/13

I'm with the others. I would highly recommend not attempting to slow down the weight loss on your own, because it's something that is going to happen naturally over the course of the coming months anyway. I know there were times when I would be feeling like "Oh man, this is happening REALLY fast and kind of worrying me!" Now - I could KILL to have that kind of worry again LOL

As long as you are getting enough fluids and protein, there is no reason to try to slow it down. If you still have a long way to go, then you could be setting yourself up for having a hard time getting to you goal in the long run.

For more info on my journey & goals, visit my blog at http://flirtybythirty.wordpress.com

tjleigh1965
on 3/24/14 5:07 am - OH

I love your Blog!

Nikke2003
on 3/24/14 5:45 am - PA
VSG on 05/13/13

Thanks so much! I'm so glad I started writing it... it's such a great reminder of how far I've come and can really put things into perspective!

For more info on my journey & goals, visit my blog at http://flirtybythirty.wordpress.com

gabby169kitty
on 3/24/14 5:18 am

If it isn't broke, don't fix it!

I would call your surgeons office or your nutritionist if you are concerned.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 92 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 316 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 363 views