Surgery follow up appt Thursday and I have questions!

shopaholic2014
on 4/1/14 4:03 am

Thursday is my surgery follow up with my surgeon and I have so much to talk to him about. My hunger is not gone, I do NOT get full on 3 T of food, and I am not losing weight at a rapid rate. .I'm worried my sleeve is not small enough and that my one last shot at a normal weight is not going to work for me. I have a lot of anxiety and I'm hoping what I am experiencing  is completely normal, but I'm freaking out!

I ate a 6oz low carb yogurt for lunch today over about 45min. I was satisfied, but should I be able to eat that much? Yesterday was 2 weeks since my surgery. I have lost 17lbs but 10lbs was on the pre-op diet.

Gwen M.
on 4/1/14 4:10 am
VSG on 03/13/14

How much weight do you expect to lose each week?  Each month?  3.5 pounds a week, which is what you've averaged, seems pretty awesome.  Especially considering you had to contend with whatever fluid weight you might have gained during surgery.  

Is eating six ounces of yogurt for a meal approved by your meal plan?  Right now, your stomach is a liar.  Its nerves have all been screwed up with and severed.  Don't trust it.  It doesn't know if you're hungry, it doesn't know if you're full.  This is why eating on plan is so important right now, since it's easy to damage your lying stomach.  

I know it's easy to think, "I'm the one person this surgery won't work for!" But, seriously, the chances of that being true are pretty infinitesimal.  Stick to the plan your surgeon gave you, the weight will come off.  Give your stomach time to heal before you trust anything it tells you.  

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Scott S.
on 4/1/14 5:35 am - TX

That may be more representative of acid (hunger pains) and healing (fast healer).

The acid I had initially, created gas and felt like hunger pains for sure.

It could be that you are a quick healer.  I was at that level at 4 weeks or so.  Yogurt can also get through your system quick.  When your doctor puts you on dense proteins, that all may change.

I wouldn't worry at all.  Your program, like most of ours, needs to be tailored to you.  And 7 lbs in 2 weeks puts you on pace to lose 14-15lbs your first month.  I am not sure what you are expecting, but that is pretty freakin' good.

Keep the faith!!

Scott

VSG: 8/8/13 

(deactivated member)
on 4/1/14 8:26 am

You sound so much like me.  I have my follow up on Thursday and the exact same thoughts have been running through my head.  We can freak out together until it gets better.  :)

(deactivated member)
on 4/2/14 1:33 am
Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 101 views