Whats your VSG eating Style and Why

Plumlove
on 4/19/14 7:47 am

Jackie, thank you so much for sharing this - really from my hear! It is so important for us to hear this. Many of us struggle in different areas and its sooooo good to know that you can be success even if you need to modify the approach that seems to be the Gold Standard. The fact is that you found the Gold Standard for you! Id like people thinking about this VSG to know that they dont have to discount if they cant follow a certain way of doing things. Of course, yes, pick a plan and stick with it but it doesnt have to be cookie cutter.

emelar
on 4/19/14 8:31 am - TX

My doctor's plan was simple - eat dense protein first and don't drink with/after meals.  And it works.  My carbs are around 100g a day.  I never tracked fat, but I can tell you that the avocado is my friend.  I eat all sorts of veggies, less fruit (because I don't care for fruit).  But nothing is off limits.  I don't find that carbs trigger me.  I can have them and stop.  I focus more now on the quality and nutritional value of my food.  I don't do low/no fat - fat adds flavor and satiety. I avoid refined foods as much as possible.  And, when I eat something that's "bad", it's a choice and I don't agonize and wring my hands over it.  It's just food.

There is no "one size fits all" plan.  Some people are very carb sensitive, some are sugar addicts, some have emotional eating issues, some are gluten or lactose intolerant, some are vegetarian, etc, etc.  I took the first 6-12 months post-op to figure out what would work for me long term, what I could sustain without losing my mind over everything that goes into my mouth.

Plumlove
on 4/19/14 1:17 pm

Hi Emelar, thanks for the post I really hear you on this. First, Im pretty obsessed with food right now. At first, I was obsessed and eating too much. Now I feel like Im getting obsessed about what to eat, not eat, how much, I eat and feeling guilty - ok and Im just on day 5 of the pre op diet. Yikes so I hear you on making sure that we dont agonize over everything. Im more of traditional foods and natural foods kind of person. Definitely looking to stay on the more natural unrefined side and I love the traditional healing foods as well. Ill try to keep both a physical and mental balance. Thanks.

Jackie
Multiplepetmom

on 4/20/14 2:27 am

it's very different early out, things take months to get to "normal". which is fine, just be prepared.

I would think it would impossible not to obsess at the beginning. you can't wing it, you have to plan and slow down and really really pay attention.

the more intuitive approach is just what I kept in mind for long term. 

once upon a time I had a group to talk about Binge Eating Disorder, and later one about Clean Eating.

PM me if you are interested in either of these.

size 8, life is great

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 68 views