Whats your VSG eating Style and Why

Plumlove
on 4/17/14 10:38 am, edited 4/17/14 10:45 am

Hello folks,

 

I've heard many common threads of advice given on nutrition (water/protein) but there still seems to be various camps of eating styles such as low carb vs. low fat etc vs. calorie counting vs. mindful eating etc. Could you please state your vsg eating style and why you chose that particular method.

Thanks!!!

    
Jackie T.
on 4/17/14 10:49 am - KS
VSG on 12/19/12 with

High protein low carb and some fat. Because it works for me. If I eat dense protein first I usually do not get hungry or snack. If I eat too many junk carbs it makes me crave more and I am hungry quicker.

Highest Weight: 285 SW: 264.6 CW:163.1   Surgeon's GW: 189  PCP's GW: 165-170  

My GW:  154   MFP:  jteaford                  

        

Plumlove
on 4/17/14 10:58 am

Thanks JackieT! So do you keep you veggies mostly leafy? Im scheduled for VSG on 4/28. Really interested in everyone's approach and why it works for them. Thanks for posting!

    
Jackie T.
on 4/17/14 1:02 pm - KS
VSG on 12/19/12 with

To be honest I really don't have room for veggies.  I now eat about 3 yo 3.5 oz of protein and that is all. If I do eat a veggie it is asparagus,  green beans or egg plant. I just make sure I take my vitamins. 

Highest Weight: 285 SW: 264.6 CW:163.1   Surgeon's GW: 189  PCP's GW: 165-170  

My GW:  154   MFP:  jteaford                  

        

Plumlove
on 4/17/14 2:07 pm

Got it. Thanks!

    
Ihearttennis
on 4/17/14 11:28 am - LA
VSG on 04/24/13

I do the same. During weight loss mode I followed 800 calories, 90-100 protein, under 40 carbs. Low carbs is key to my success. The more carbs I have the more I want them and once you let something back into your diet it's hard to cut it back it out. Take advantage of the first six months and be vigilant. It's not easy but so worth it. 

"Whether you believe you can or you can't ....you are right! " by Henry Ford

Plumlove
on 4/17/14 11:34 am

Thanks Ihearttennis! I do know that carbs trigger me too. Some rice or potatoes, even tortillas could be a bad move for me. Im not disciplined enough yet to have "some".My Nut did not want to say go "low carb" but she did say protein first, then veg and if you have room starch… She also refused to give me calories range and wanted me to learn to eat right portions... Trying to find my groove.

    
Bufflehead
on 4/17/14 11:49 am, edited 4/17/14 11:54 am - TN
VSG on 06/19/13

Mine is relatively low carb (under 60 carbs per day) and low calorie (under 850) and high protein (minimum 75 grams). I didn't choose it. I chose my surgeon and part of the deal I made with myself at the outset is that I would follow his orders and his team's orders and not try to research my way to something I liked better or thought would be better . . . that never worked for me before. His team has a ton of experience in successfully managing and maintaining weight loss and I have none. So I put my head down and follow their orders without worrying about the whys and hows very much. So far it's working.

Oh and even within my carbs, there are rules. No grains, no starchy veggies, and no sweets, even if I could fit them into my daily carb limit. Also no soup and no cereal (even if I could eat grains) because it's the same thing as drinking with your meal. No snacking other than yogurt and protein shakes. Everything is pretty regimented. It turns out I do well with regimented, not so well with rules like "everything in moderation" (ha ha ha) or "eat well 90% of the time and do what you want the other 10%" -- nope, following rules is good for me.

Plumlove
on 4/17/14 11:56 am

Hey there Bufflehead thanks for the response! It is helpful that your surgeon has a detailed plan and even better that its working for you! Way to go on the commitment level!

    
frisco
on 4/17/14 1:52 pm
On April 17, 2014 at 6:49 PM Pacific Time, Bufflehead wrote:

Mine is relatively low carb (under 60 carbs per day) and low calorie (under 850) and high protein (minimum 75 grams). I didn't choose it. I chose my surgeon and part of the deal I made with myself at the outset is that I would follow his orders and his team's orders and not try to research my way to something I liked better or thought would be better . . . that never worked for me before. His team has a ton of experience in successfully managing and maintaining weight loss and I have none. So I put my head down and follow their orders without worrying about the whys and hows very much. So far it's working.

Oh and even within my carbs, there are rules. No grains, no starchy veggies, and no sweets, even if I could fit them into my daily carb limit. Also no soup and no cereal (even if I could eat grains) because it's the same thing as drinking with your meal. No snacking other than yogurt and protein shakes. Everything is pretty regimented. It turns out I do well with regimented, not so well with rules like "everything in moderation" (ha ha ha) or "eat well 90% of the time and do what you want the other 10%" -- nope, following rules is good for me.

I love love your post !!!!!

So many people come here "fishing for team best deal" and they end up picking this from that and that from this and just end up a hot mess !!!!

Follow a known plan, and as your going through WL your learning and developing good long term habits to carry you through.....

WLS is not really about losing the weight..... WLS is more about keeping the weight off that you lost !

Great post !

frisco

SW 338lbs. GW 175lbs. Goal in 11 months. CW 148lbs. WL 190lbs.

          " To eat is a necessity, but to eat intelligently is an art "

                                      VSG Maintenance Group Forum
                  
 http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

                                           CAFE FRISCO at LapSF.com

                                                      Dr. Paul Cirangle

Most Active
×