Skin & Bones

Sandra J.
on 7/11/14 3:08 am
VSG on 06/05/14

I hit 5 week out yesterday. While I'm super happy about seeing the numbers on the scale drop, I'm becoming increasingly obsessed with my extra skin. I’m not even a 1/3 of the way to my goal weight, and I feel giggly in my arms, legs and stomach. I hate it, and fear it’s only going to get worse. I’m constantly looking at myself in the mirror and pinching/ pulling/ picking up my extra skin. I think I could deal with it if I knew in the end I could have the surgery to remove it, but doubt that will be possible without insurance paying for it (I highly doubt they will).

Then last night, I had a really hard time getting comfortable in bed, because I felt like the bones in my leg were digging into my other leg (I was laying on my side). I can only handle so much time on my back and have never been a stomach sleeper.

Please tell me it gets better!!

Sandra Johnson

Sleeved on 6/5/14

Tracy D.
on 7/11/14 3:15 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

I can't tell you if the loose skin thing will get better, it probably won't.  However, it may tighten up somewhat after you've reached goal.  I'm seeing less issues with my arms at least now that I've been working out really hard for the last 3 months.  But that extra skin for the most part doesn't magically retract, especially if you have lots of stretch marks.  If you're young and have darker tone skin, you'll usually see more snap-back than old broads like me ;-) 

As for the leg issues, I'm a side sleeper too.  I sleep with a small pillow in between my knees - it's the only way I can be comfortable.  

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

happyteacher
on 7/11/14 3:44 am

I don't think it gets better, but it does become your new normal so it will likely bother you less and less. 

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

gmantek
on 7/11/14 4:24 am

It's the inevitable!  We will have loose skin.  In my eyes, better loose than full of fat!  I can tell you that ever since my 6wk post op I've been exercising - cardio and strength training everyday.  I now see the muscles more than focus on the skin so it's not so bad.  I have a long way to go and not sure what it will look like when I reach goal, but I am a believer that exercise will improve the appearance of the loose skin.

civilmomma
on 7/11/14 4:49 am
VSG on 03/07/14

Get used to the skin...take your vitamins, moisturize, and tone your muscles to help it rebound as much as possible.  I rub bio oil on my belly and boobs - not sure if it helps, but it is pretty cheap and at least I feel like I am doing something!

Also - put a pillow between your legs if you side sleep - it is better for your hips and back to keep your legs slightly apart anyways.

ticker5'-8",HW 347,SW329,M1-25 M2-17 M3-11 M4-13 M5-14 pregnant-->

diane S.
on 7/11/14 4:57 am

keep well hydrated and skin might not seem so loose.  depending on your age, it will snap back some but you may have to be prepared to live with it.  The good news is that its not obvious in most clothes. i am lucky to live in a cool climate where shorts and tanks tops just won't do.  I don't look good in a bathing suit but I looked pretty bad in one at 247 lbs.  I will take this any day.

and ditto on the pillow or a wad of blanket between knees.   I have the same issue.    diane

Join US On The VSG Maintenance Group Forum!! 
                  http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

Gwen M.
on 7/11/14 7:56 am
VSG on 03/13/14

Are you able to see a therapist to talk with about this?  

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Kelly Jean
on 7/11/14 11:14 am
VSG on 04/08/14

Like Tracy said if your younger it will soap back much better but if your older like us It's harder ... but make sure you exercise and work out that helps the most.... Also the way I look at it ...some extra skin here or there is still way better to me then my highest weight !!!! Good luck it will get better!!!

:-) ♡ Kelly

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 82 views