3 Year anniversary...thoughts and experiences for the newbies

Pkrplyr777
on 8/3/14 1:58 am - CT

Well it's been 3 years. I'm not sure where the time has gone. I recall the early weeks and months on the forum, begging for info and showing pics. I haven't been on in a while but could not stay away when I can give someone else some insight and help in their journey.

First, my husband and 28 year old daughter and myself all had the vsg. My husband and I on the same day and my daughter 6 months after.

My husband lost about 100 lbs then started putting weight back on. He gained about 25 back and is holding for now. He never followed an eating plan or an exercise plan. He can eat about twice as much as I can.

My daughter, lost 150 lbs, down from 320. She followed an eating plan and an exercise plan. She gained 10 lbs back this winter but then took it off again by watching what she was eating and doing more exercise. She is holding steady.

I lost 108 lbs, I followed a very strict eating plan 800 calories a day, 100 grams of protein under 40 carbs. I started running and ran about 30 miles or more a week. I got a trainer at the gym and started lifting weights 4 times a week. I dropped down to 27% body fat. Then I got sick. I developed a huge ovarian cyst. I did not know I had it. I thought I was gaining weight, I had been adding carbs to my diet because of an energy drop. I stopped eating the carbs and lowered my exercise. I still kept putting on weight. I was up to 158. I went to the doctor and they found the problem. After the surgery I was 128 lbs. The cyst weighed 30 lbs. I could not run for 6 months. I ate more then ever since the surgery. The cyst was pushing into my chest cavity and squeezing my stomach. I was eating so little before surgery and never realized it. I had stopped logging food for at least a year. Now that the pressure is gone and I'm 99% healed, I have been eating more. I've gotten away from the discipline of food and exercise. I am up to 150 lbs since November 6 2013.

I intend to get back to eating better choices, logging my food so I can take that 20 lbs back off and exercising. When I was running and working out I was not working at a job so I had 4 hours a day to dedicate to the exercise. That is not the case now so I'm finding it difficult to find the time/balance I had during the weight loss phase. I will get it but after last years scare I find that nothing is so important that I need to stress over it too much. I'll get there.

Food for thought:

1. Pick a food plan with a high success rate and stick to it. It changes the way you look and think about food for the maintenance phase of your journey,. It will also maximize your weight loss success.

2. Exercise. Walking daily works. Lifting weights in any form is superior. My trainer said "muscles sitting in front of a tv eating popcorn burns more calories than fat jiggling on a treadmill. He was right. When I had a lower fat content and a muscular body I could eat much more than ever before.

3. Don't take maintenance for granted. Learn good habits while you're focused. You wont forget then all when you reach your goal and have to maintain.

4. Listen to the people on this forum that have experience and give their time to educate. They deserve respect. They have a ton of good advise

5. Shoot for happiness. At 54 years old I will never be Barbie. I looked into tummy tucks and such. Maybe I still will get that someday. Another surgery is not really what I want right now. I hate the new scars on my belly but it will wait until I'm ready. The rest of me looks good in designer so I'm good for now. Enjoy your new ability to walk, run, play and laugh.

That's it. Life after VSG in a nutshell. I wish all you the best of luck with your weight loss journey. It's not a short cut, cheat or any other things skinny people tend to say. It's a tool and you have every right to use it. Don't let anyone tell you differently. I share my story openly and have helped others start their journey because of the sharing of my success. I feel good about that.

So here's the pic from January of this year. My first outing with my husband after my surgery. We went on a New Years Eve cruise for our anniversary. A pic from May with my husband, son, grandson and one from last week hiking in NC.

Cheers!

Donna

HW/233 *  SW/212 * CW/133 *GW/132 * 100 Pounds of FAT gone FOREVER!

Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple~Dr.Suess            
singdoremi
on 8/3/14 2:15 am - NJ

Thank you for reminding us all that we can never give up. Planning, counting, exercising.....

Get up everyday and do it again. Hope you are feeling better. I will look for more from you for inspiration!

VSG 6/4/13
Ellen

TexasTerritory
on 8/3/14 2:17 am
VSG on 07/22/13
Love your suggestions. You look great.

Kathy8429
on 8/3/14 2:47 am

Thank you so much for your post, it reminds us to never lose focus

Dawn ..
on 8/3/14 2:49 am - MI
VSG on 09/23/14

Thank you for sharing Donna. You look great. I love this forum, it is wonderful to get so much information and insight from people who have been throught the surgery.

Consult 12/9/13, Pre-Surgery Appt 9/5/14, Surgery 9/23/14, Height/5'.52", HW/273,  ConsW/268 ConsBMI/49, PreSurW/213 PreSurBMI/39, SurW/193.8 SurBMI/35.4, Drs GW/140-150 My 1st GW/160 2nd GW/145
Visit my online store at dawnsjewelrybox.com  Independent Consultant ID 30858

Allison L.
on 8/3/14 3:23 am - Berkeley, CA

Great insights. You look wonderful!

frisco
on 8/3/14 3:28 am

Great to see you !!!!

Congrats on 3 !!!!!

Awesome post !!!!

frisco

SW 338lbs. GW 175lbs. Goal in 11 months. CW 148lbs. WL 190lbs.

" To eat is a necessity, but to eat intelligently is an art "

VSG Maintenance Group Forum

http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

CAFE FRISCO at LapSF.com

Dr. Paul Cirangle

Pkrplyr777
on 8/3/14 7:50 am - CT

Hey Frisco!

So glad to see you are still here...even though I have not been here. You were my inspiration and guiding force. Glad to see you are still inspiring others.

Hope all is well with you.

Cheers

Donna

HW/233 *  SW/212 * CW/133 *GW/132 * 100 Pounds of FAT gone FOREVER!

Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple~Dr.Suess            
stephanieplum
on 8/3/14 4:32 am
VSG on 06/27/12

I remember you, Donna!!!  Thank you for sharing your journey!  It's important!!!  Blessings on your continued journey!

jenn1469
on 8/3/14 4:37 am

You look awesome!!!

Jennifer

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 95 views