Excuses not to have surgery, throw them out the window

GoBlueGirl1998
on 1/4/15 11:50 pm - MI

Before having VSG I did my research and considered it for a year. The main thing that was holding me back was my parents. When I say this, it’s not because they aren’t supportive. They are unbelievably supportive. I work full time and I’m basically their full time care giver. My Mom has Alzheimer’s and my Dad is physically unable to walk & has declining health. It takes a lot of work to take care of them, work, take care of a house and take care of myself. Needless to say at the end of the day I’m not left for a lot of time for myself. If I just had two more hours in the day! LOL

I was worried that I wouldn’t have time to focus on eating properly, preparing and exercise. I wanted the surgery badly…..If I can’t take care of myself, then how can I take care of my parents. I decided to go for it. It’s been just over 2 months now and I’m so glad I didn’t let life and cir****tances get in the way of this surgery. I very well could have used my parents as an excuse. The eating & prep has been easy and they weight is coming off quickly! There are challenges & the biggest one for me is having the time to get to the gym and exercise. Last month I committed to a boot camp two days a week. It was tough and there weren’t enough hours in the day, but it paid off. I love the gym and I like the variety of equipment, but having 90 minutes plus drive time doesn’t always work. I love running/walking, but this morning it was 3 degrees!! I’m looking for new ideas of workouts I can do at home. In addition, I bought myself a new shiny treadmill yesterday! Yay me! So throw the excuses out and do it!

What I’m trying to say is we all have life obligations and some are harder than others. Don’t let them hold you back from having surgery. I’m glad I finally took the plunge! I feel better and now have more energy to focus on my parents.

Age: 40 Height: 5'8" Highest Weight: 325 Starting Weight: 291 Current Weight: 166 Goal Weight: 160

VSG 10/24/14 with Dr. David Chengelis

Gwen M.
on 1/5/15 1:27 am
VSG on 03/13/14

Great post!  

My dad was diagnosed with cancer right around the time I decided to pursue surgery, so I was juggling all my pre-op stuff with being a caregiver to him during chemo.  I had the realization that my obesity was just as much of a killer as his cancer is and that I needed to change that ASAP.  And now, even though I'm still obese, I'm in such a better position to care for the other people in my life thanks to caring for myself.  I love it :D

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

GoBlueGirl1998
on 1/5/15 8:21 am - MI

You get it!! It's tough, but we're important too! The juggling can get tough, but that is what makes me stronger!

Age: 40 Height: 5'8" Highest Weight: 325 Starting Weight: 291 Current Weight: 166 Goal Weight: 160

redpanda
on 1/5/15 3:25 am

You guys are an inspiration! One of my concerns with having the surgery is not being able to properly care for my small kids after, so it's reassuring to see that other people are doing it and bouncing back!

GoBlueGirl1998
on 1/5/15 8:23 am - MI

I know it's cliche, but everything will fall into place. I have to juggle a bit, but I can make it work. Remember your worth it.

frisco
on 1/5/15 4:35 am

Great post !

Big props to you for getting all your ducks in a row....

I was a major care giver for my father for a few years, had someone hired from 7am till 7pm, than I covered 7pm till 7am.

Just about every evening was internet, TV and eating through out the night with a few naps in between. I proceeded to grow from obese to Super Morbidly obese.

Ironically at this very moment I am changing up my business model to have more time for my mom, not cause she needs it right now.... because I want to and I can make it happen with some changes....

Taking care of both your parents is a big en devour and you found a way to make you better so you can be better for them !!! Big props to you !!!

On another note..... GoBlue got the coach !!!

I've played golf with him as were from same hometown of Palo Alto.

frisco

SW 338lbs. GW 175lbs. Goal in 11 months. CW 148lbs. WL 190lbs.

" To eat is a necessity, but to eat intelligently is an art "

VSG Maintenance Group Forum

http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

CAFE FRISCO at LapSF.com

Dr. Paul Cirangle

GoBlueGirl1998
on 1/5/15 8:19 am - MI

You understand that it can be challenging, but that it's doable to take care of others and yourself! That is awesome you're making time for your mom. We only have one set of parents! 

Yes, I got my coach......or I should say our coach!  He was my first crush ever! I had an #4 jersey as a little girl! 

jenn1469
on 1/5/15 9:17 am

So I went this week to visit my brother-in-law he has stage 4 cancer. Wow what a reality check.So I thought I lost all this weight to get healthy. Hello I smoke. So I quite smoking my poor family I am so grouchy!!! I didn't work this hard to loose this weight and die of cancer for smoking. So my husband went threw chemo 11 years ago you would of clicked than but it didn't So hopefully I can do this it sure is a mind game.

Jennifer

Gwen M.
on 1/5/15 9:24 am
VSG on 03/13/14

You CAN do it.  Look at all you've accomplished so far!  

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

jenn1469
on 1/5/15 9:28 am

thanks for the support Gwen :)

Jennifer

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 128 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 377 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 415 views