Losing slow and frustrated!

NikkyBeauty
on 4/12/15 2:27 pm - Sacramento , CA
VSG on 02/18/15

See this is exactly why I don't want to weigh myself on a regular basis because now I'm wondering what's going on! I last weighed myself on the 27th of March, I weighed myself today at the gym, and was only down 3lbs, so now I'm starting to wonder if im going to start losing slower? I'm still on soft foods, my calorie intake is roughly 400-600 a day I eat nothing but protein (chicken,turkey and fish) I sometimes get veggies in but it's hard I get full very very quickly, and I haven't touched a carb besides veggies. So is it possible that I'm starting to lose slow! Or could it possibly be I'm coming off a stall I most likely didn't notice because I don't weight myself often? I like to try to weigh myself once a month, but it was hard to resist being that it was my first day working out and I was feeling so good.  That 3lb lost irritated my soul but it's better than a gain, but now I'm here asking questions.   

Ps. Btw I haven't been working out just walking once a day, just staring to feel good enough to work out so I started the gym today 

HW: 465lbs SW: 387lbs CW:??? GW:175

ald731
on 4/12/15 7:32 pm
VSG on 04/07/14

It sounds like you are doing everything just right, so I would focus on that (which you can control) instead of what's going on with the scale. Most people feel like they are a "slow loser" at some point, don't sweat it. I'm a daily weigher because that works best for me; if I only weighed once a month and weighed yesterday I would have one less pound loss this month than if I weighed today. I'm not necessarily advocating for daily weighing, just saying that fluctuations are a reality and what happens OFF the scale is much more important than what happens on it.

The bottom line is get your protein in, avoid carbs (which sounds like you are doing), drink tons of water, and the scale will take care of itself.

April:  HW- 323, SW-310, CW-159 (as of 9/25/15), Goal- 140; Pre-op (-13), M1 (-17), M2 (-16), M3 (-14), M4 (-13), M5 (-12), M6 (-8), M7 (-12), M8 (-8), M9 (-8), M10 (-5), M11 (-7), M12 (-5), M13 (-7), M14 (-0), M15 (-1), M16 (-5), M17 (-5)

Nikke2003
on 4/13/15 12:33 am - PA
VSG on 05/13/13

Couple of things.

First, I would suggest when you do weigh yourself that you do it first thing in the morning, completely nude, after you've gone to the bathroom, and always on the same scale. Personally, I like this approach because it ensures that you getting a consistent baseline to record your weight. There is no food/water in your stomach, no difference in the weight of clothing, and you've just gone to the bathroom. Consistency is key!

Second, losses will sometimes be fast, and sometimes be slow. I can't tell you how many times I told my husband that I was "done losing! I'll never lose anymore! This is awful!" and then boom... I'd lose something like 7-10 lbs in 1-2 weeks. Then, I would worry that I was losing too quickly.

It's hard to keep in mind, but we didn't put all the weight on in a day, we won't take it all off in a day. I think if the scale is going to drive you crazy, then weighing only once a month is a good thing... but try to make sure you are staying consistent.

For more info on my journey & goals, visit my blog at http://flirtybythirty.wordpress.com

wyo_sarah
on 4/13/15 12:36 am

I'm a daily weigher too, but I can see why some people don't.  Can you tell a difference in your clothes?  Sometimes I think that the scale doesn't accurately reflect what is happening in our bodies.  I know people who have been "stalled" but were still losing inches.  I also think that since we made such a drastic change in our bodies, that stalls are our bodies way of catching up and figuring out what the heck is going on.  You sound like you are doing great, so just trust the process and keep trucking.  It will come off.

White Dove
on 4/13/15 12:37 am - Warren, OH

Daily weighing is the only thing that works for me.  I would rather know what is going on than guess that I am doing fine and then weigh myself monthly and see little progress.  You are early out and most people lose quickly and then slow down after six months.

Your calorie intake is very low and I wonder if you are carefully tracking every calorie or if your intake is sneaking up without you being aware.  During my early months I enjoyed the thrill of seeing the weight drop and was glad I was weighing and knowing what was going on.  I gained weight by hiding the scale and vowed to never do that again.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Gwen M.
on 4/13/15 12:37 am
VSG on 03/13/14

I think you might have a better idea of what's going on if you were weighing yourself on a regular basis.  

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Scott S.
on 4/13/15 1:22 am - TX

Congrats on your loss!!  There were periods that I went through were I would take 3 lbs anytime!

And another big point... you're weighing in at the gym!  That is great that you are going.  Your weight can be determined by sodium, water itake, and a whole host of other things.

This will work.  I'm with Gwen on this, you may know more by weighing in more.  I pick one time a day and check in.

Part of my journey was figuring out what worked for me.  If I ate beef, I would go slow.  If I ate fi**** seemed like thisngs moved quicker in my body.

Don't forget that you may also be gaining some muscle while you are losing.  If you lost 6 lbs of fat and gained 3 of muscle, the scale will only show the net.

Hang in there.  This will pass!!

VSG: 8/8/13 

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 94 views