Should I revise my Lap Band to a VSG?

midwiferywoman
on 7/16/15 12:46 am
VSG on 12/04/15

I'm looking for some input from anyone who might have experience in a similar situation!

I had the lap band in 2010, lost 50lbs, HW 235, LW 185, got pregnant 2012 and since the baby (2 1/2 years ago) have stayed right about 205-210.  I don't feel like the band is really helping me much anymore, to be honest.  In addition, I have pain and discomfort alot when I eat.  So I recently had a barium swallow which showed my band may have slipped a little and that could be what's causing the pain.   I'm going to be seeing a surgeon soon to discuss what the plan will be but it seems like my options are 1. Fix the band, 2. Remove the band, 3. Remove the band and revise to a VSG.  

I'm leaning toward revising but my DH is not really on board, he's scared of me getting another surgery, especially one that alters my anatomy so much.  He thinks I should remove the band and just try to do it on my own with healthy diet and exercise.  The thing is, that's something I've been trying to do my whole life and so far haven't been able to be successful for more than a short period of time.  Another factor is that we are planning to get pregnant again in the next year and I know pregnancy isn't recommended after the surgery until your weight is stablized  . . . but since may goal is to lose about 60 lbs . . . I felt like that might happen pretty quickly with the VSG, please correct me if I'm wrong!   I'm just starting to learn about this surgery. :)

Thanks in advance for any advice or thoughts you can share! :)

mmsmom
on 7/16/15 4:38 am - Woburn, MA

I had similar weights to you and got the band in 2007 - had some success - got down to 157 lowest weight and then the band started acting funky on me - had band removed Feb 2014 - let stomach rest until April 28, 2014.  Surgery at 210 - now 121.  I can't say enough how much I LOVE the sleeve.  For the first six months or so my stomach was tender but now more than one year out,  I can eat almost anything (very limited bread, pasta rice, just by virtue of space alone).  I never, ever get stuck and that is such a joy.  I can eat vegetables and fruit with skin!!!  I feel like vsg is nothing short of miraculous.  Good luck on your decision. Not to be negative, but if you could do it on your own, you wouldn't be on this board - and it is amazing how much hunger comes back with band removal - even a band that isn't working properly.

VSG on 04/28/2014

midwiferywoman
on 7/20/15 10:03 pm
VSG on 12/04/15

Ok, I don't know where my post went but sorry if this is a duplicate reply . . .

Can I ask you how those few months with the band out and before the VSG went?  My husband is really stuck on me taking out the band and trying to do it on my own before doing the VSG.  But like you said, if I could do that, I would have a long time ago.  It sounds like you're doing really well with your revision . . . how long did it take you to get to your goal?  Did the weight loss slow down alot after the first six months or so?  

Thanks so much for your input . . . it helps! :)

"You are what you repeatedly do. Excellence, therefore, is not an act, but a habit" -Aristotle
SW: 237lbs | Lap Band Feb 2010 | LW: 188lbs | Post op baby Feb 2013 | July 2015 slipped band diagnosed | Oct 2015 band port eroded through adominal wall | 10/20/15 lap band removed | Regained to 215lbs | VSG: 12/4/2015 | LW: 148lbs but settled around 154lbs | Post-op baby #2 born Jan 2018 | CW: 160lbs

CindyJo24
on 7/21/15 6:23 am - Grand Blanc, MI

My band was removed in November. The doctor was going to repair a leak but instead discoverd it had slipped and my stomach was blisstered quite a bit. I came out of recovery, got the news and started crying. Since then my hunger feels ravenous, and I have gained about 2 pounds a week. Now 7 months later I am up 60 pounds.

I am on this forum today to find out more about the sleeve as a 2nd surgery. 

It's so hard to just do self-control restriction.

~ Cindy
Learning to live, no longer living to eat

midwiferywoman
on 7/21/15 5:41 pm
VSG on 12/04/15

Wow, so sorry you're going through that!  I know, I'm super worried about just taking out the band and "seeing what happens".  I mean, if I could have lost (or even maintained) weight without help, I would have done it by now.  I have tried everything, every diet, every healthy balanced eating plan, I avoid fast food, processed food, soda, all that stuff, but even with the band, I can barely maintain where I'm at (which is REALLY far from goal!).  So I don't know how I'm going to do it just taking the band out with nothing to replace it.  

I hope things go ok with you and you are able to get approval to have the second surgery.  Let me know how things go for you!

"You are what you repeatedly do. Excellence, therefore, is not an act, but a habit" -Aristotle
SW: 237lbs | Lap Band Feb 2010 | LW: 188lbs | Post op baby Feb 2013 | July 2015 slipped band diagnosed | Oct 2015 band port eroded through adominal wall | 10/20/15 lap band removed | Regained to 215lbs | VSG: 12/4/2015 | LW: 148lbs but settled around 154lbs | Post-op baby #2 born Jan 2018 | CW: 160lbs

michele1
on 7/16/15 5:52 am
Revision on 07/07/15

Same with the exception of the pregnancy lol. I am only one week out after revision to sleeve and hernia repair (band 2008), still have pain but can already tell the sleeve is better. My shakes go down nornal...no pooling feeling burping and then gurgling as it goes through (no matter what the restriction shakes always did that). No port jutting out......I am sure the list will get bigger!!!!!! So excited, no regrets which is good because self pay

Lapband 6/08 90 pounds lost!  Band slip and esophageal dilation diagnosed 5/15

LapBand removed, hernia repaired and sleeved 7/8/15

midwiferywoman
on 7/20/15 9:37 pm
VSG on 12/04/15

So glad things are going well for you so far and thanks for the input . . . this is going to be a big decision for my family and every bit of input helps! 

judeloren
on 7/16/15 6:46 am

I just made the decision to have my band out and go with the sleeve. I gained mine back due to two pregnancies also and my hubby isnt to happy about the sleeve but only because he is worried about me in surgery. I figure a small risk of surgery vs going to have a short life for sure due to weight. waiting for removal surgery to be scheduled right now. i have watched a lot of youtube videos on the sleeve and people who have had it... 60 lbs wouldn't take to long from what they have said. I am so excited to get it done!

midwiferywoman
on 7/20/15 9:43 pm
VSG on 12/04/15

Thanks for your reply . . . it sounds like revising to the band is the right thing for you!  My husband is really worried about me having another surgery too . . . you're right, though, the risk of being overwieght is greater!  Can I ask how long after your last pregnancy you waited before taking out the band and revising? We want to have another baby and I'm going back and forth btwn having the surgery before or after the next pregnancy. . . .I'm so impatient to have the surgery but I also really don't want to wait much longer to get pregnant! It's a dilemma! LOL  Thanks again for your input . . . 

judeloren
on 7/21/15 9:29 am

My baby was born Christmas eve so she is 7 months right now. I haven't gotten the band out yet. the dr is scheduling my surgery i'm waiting for the call. then i have to wait 6 months for the other surgery. I want another baby too and that is a main reason for me doing the sleeve. I had a hard time getting pregnant and im sure it was weight related. its easier to go through a pregnancy when you are smaller i was about 60 lbs lighter with my first pregnancy but i understand not wanting to wait for either option! I also have to plan im aiming for surgery first then hopefully after i recover can have another baby. im 35 so i know i have limited time

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 96 views