My hubby means well...

murphyjo
on 8/8/15 3:45 pm

My liquid diet starts in Monday the 10th. I am scheduled for my VSG on Aug 20. Of course I am excited and nervous...the problem is that my husband wants me to try to lose the weight without surgery. He is worried that I'll regret it. I have been a yoyo dieter for years, I just can't seem to maintain long term. I am so close to surgery, but feel like I owe it to him to try again... Need a little advice please!

E_Saenz
on 8/8/15 4:13 pm - Grand Rapids , MI
VSG on 08/12/15

I am in the same boat however I've been on just about every diet there is known to man yo yo diet pretty much until I had a gallstone the size of a golf ball.  If I could've lost the weight naturally dont you think i would've done it by now.  I can honestly say the tiny tummy is going to help me control my intake of food i believe it's what I need.  I also believe the longer I wait the longer I'll remain super obease.  The surgery is going to change my life for the better in many ways I'm not having surgery to look cute I'm doing it for my health and nothing more.  I have had the exact conversation with my other half and I know he's worried but I keep reassuring him this is what is right for me I've researched the different surgeries and decided on the sleeve I know what to expect I know it's not going to be easy I'm going to have to make right choices and exercise and i know that I will win the battle over obesity once and for all I want him to see I have done it through hard work and dedication with the help of my tiny tummy!

Elia Maria Saenz

Gwen M.
on 8/8/15 4:17 pm
VSG on 03/13/14

You do not owe it to anyone to try again, really.  I'm sure that you made the decision to have surgery with lots of thought and information - remind yourself of all the reasons you made your decision.  Remind yourself that it's your body and you're in charge of your medical decisions.  Remind him that, if you regret it, that's on you, not him.  

Keep reminding yourself of the reason you're doing this.  He's allowed to be concerned, but at the end of the day it's your choice.  

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Navychic
on 8/9/15 3:25 am
RNY on 02/09/15

Awesome! We'll have to compare ailments post op:). He thinks I'll regret the surgery because of our lifestyle.  We enjoy eating out,healthy meals and unhealthy, we enjoy fun nights out with friends,drinking...but I also enjoy (used to) water sports, snow skiing wasn't hard on my knees and softball isn't an option anymore...I think in order for me to get back to life, I could sure use a great tool...if saying goodbye to binge drinking with the gang is what it takes, then so be it...

he also needs to lose 100 lbs too. He is doing great right now, down 25 in 6 wks, while I'm down 12. I think my post op restrictions will help both of us on our journey.

I'm Jo   HW 245, SW 236, CW 151 Yeah (Normal BMI!!!!)

M1=213 (-23), M2=201 (-12), M3=186 (-15), M4=175(-11), M5=166(-9), M6=157(-9), M7=153(-4) 

murphyjo
on 8/11/15 7:39 am

this is totally weird!  this is my (murphyjo) comment, under  Navychic name...very odd!!

Navychic
on 8/11/15 9:58 am
RNY on 02/09/15

LOL I got the reply notification also.  Ah well another OB goofup...but for all of the awesome support we get here, it is so worth it.  Regardless of all that you're gonna love your WLS surgery!    Good luck in your journey!!!

LOL  The real Navy chic 

I'm Jo   HW 245, SW 236, CW 151 Yeah (Normal BMI!!!!)

M1=213 (-23), M2=201 (-12), M3=186 (-15), M4=175(-11), M5=166(-9), M6=157(-9), M7=153(-4) 

Simone13
on 8/8/15 4:17 pm

Do what's best for YOU!!   I called myself "The Human Yo Yo".  I caught a lot of slack from family and friends saying the same thing "Why can't you do this on your own".  I was sleeved on July 18th and my only regret is not doing it sooner.  I'm down 20 pounds and I feel so good about it. Hubby will be just fine!

TeressaJ
on 8/8/15 4:27 pm

I had my surgery June 25, 2014, and within a week was completely off high blood pressure meds, cholesterol meds, and my high sugar level was well within the normal range. I now weigh 125 pounds, have no need for any meds at all, have loads of energy, and can eat any food I desire, within limits. I now choose to eat healthy and my tiny tummy is the tool that allowed me that choice. However, this surgery is permanent, for the rest of your life. There is no getting it 'undone', so if you're not sure, maybe you should wait until you are sure. The first few months were very difficult for me but my quality of life now is amazing.

Smallbites2015
on 8/8/15 4:38 pm

I started my WLS journey about 6 years ago. I  was all the way to waiting for insurance approval for lap band.  My husband begged me not to do it .  So I didn't .  Fast forward to October 2014 .  One of my coworkers had just had VSG.  She let me ask all kind of questions.  By the end of the month I decided it was time .  Again talk to my husband, about this point I have hit 300 pounds on the scale .  Couldn't do it anymore .  I'm fortunate enough to be surrounded by people who know our surgeons very well and I did some research on my own .  I called him and made an  appointment but I had to wait until January 2015.

My husband was on board at this time because he could see how miserable I was .  I was tired of crying tired of being tired tired of hurting aching,  unable to exercise without hurting myself ,  being out of control and just being overall unhappy with myself .  We looked at all the options and he came with me to my first appointment .  The hospital where I work has a very  comprehensive weight loss surgery program so I am not worried about support.

Before I knew it I was doing my required formal 4 month program.  I met with the dietitian the pharmacist the psych doctor  probably some other people that I just don't remember . 

As it got closer and closer and I was afraid to tell anybody but I finally told my mom  and asked her to come down for my surgery . I didn't share with my staff only my colleagues know because I took a month off to get adjusted.

I have not shared with anybody other than my best friend and another close friend my husband and some family members .

My sister thinks I'm nuts "could've just done it on my own" but that's OK  she's never been a big As I am. 

I've had a relatively no issues after surgery other than a few not so nice situations with certain foods but I'm exercising drinking my water trying to get my protein in and taking it day by day.

Ultimately it's the best decision I could've done for myself I tried to lose weight so many times over the years that every gain and loss is  likely a whole person probably several times over . 

Without the support of the spouse I think could be really difficult  but in the end you have to be selfish sometimes and take care yourself . 

If  my husband helped me these last six years like he said he would, I would never have needed to have surgery in the first place  because I sure couldn't do it by myself .

I think I've earned the right to have the selfishness and right now it's all about me .

God bless I wish you well 

Don't mean to be preachy just keeping it real !

murphyjo
on 8/8/15 5:10 pm

thank you all for responding. I am glad I joined this forum! I'll need to do some serious thinking the next couple days.  

It's nice to read the posts knowing that there isn't a topic that someone hasn't delt with at some point.  

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 72 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 271 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 329 views