4 Years out...thought I would share

Pkrplyr777
on 8/19/15 3:38 pm - CT

It's been quite a journey, that's for sure. Right now it feels very normal again. I got down to my goal weight and then some. Life through me some real hard punches in the last couple years. Nothing to do with weight loss surgery. I was glad I had lost the weight and got through it. 

After a little depression and a little weight gain, 30 lbs. I'm on track again. I gained the weight simply by drinking my calories and eating pasta lol. No accountability. No thought to what I was eating and drinking. 

The good part is that when I finally got my head wrapped around what I needed to do....it's really so very easy. There is no longer that sense of it being impossible to reach a goal. The surgery was the best thing I could have done for myself.

My husband did not put any effort into the after surgery weight loss regimen. He did lose about 100 lbs anyway and he has put about 30 back on. We had the surgery the same day. He struggles to keep the weight off now because he would not educate himself on what was a good eating habit. 

My daughter lost 125 lbs. She has since put on 40 lbs. However, she also made the conscience choice to get back on track and is already down 12 lbs.

The only way to stay on track is to log your foods and get active.  

The surgery is definitely a tool that helps with that.  We are no longer the slave to food like we were. We can say no. Whether we choose to or not is still up to us. 

I wish you all well on your journeys. 

Now I have to go run a few miles....gotta slim down to fit into those size 4 dresses for my trip to Costa Rica in a couple months. 

Cheers!

Donna

HW/233 *  SW/212 * CW/133 *GW/132 * 100 Pounds of FAT gone FOREVER!

Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple~Dr.Suess            
(deactivated member)
on 8/19/15 4:12 pm

Donna, so great to see you on OH! Sorry to hear about the 30 lbs of regain, but you know, life happens and your attitude about your journey is awesome (always has been). Like you, life threw me a few curve balls and I ate my way through them.

I think the great lesson here is NOT that people regain, but rather that if people do regain, VSG PROVIDES THE REDUCED CAPACITY AND METABOLIC CHANGES THAT PROVIDE THE FOUNDATION UPON WHICH WE CAN BUILD TO LOSE THE REGAIN. I understand that it simply boils down to choice.

The background of your picture reminds me so much of the Sound near my aunt's house in Greenwich. You must not be too terribly far away from there, I'm guessing.

frisco
on 8/19/15 5:13 pm

Hey stranger !!!

Thanks for the update.... was wondering about you and the family !!!

You know what to do !

frisco

SW 338lbs. GW 175lbs. Goal in 11 months. CW 148lbs. WL 190lbs.

" To eat is a necessity, but to eat intelligently is an art "

VSG Maintenance Group Forum

http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

CAFE FRISCO at LapSF.com

Dr. Paul Cirangle

Pkrplyr777
on 8/19/15 5:46 pm - CT

Thank you both! It's really nice to know that there are some people more dedicated than I, lol. I'm really not worried about losing the weight. I was way too thin at one point. If I lose 20 pounds I wont have to buy new winter clothes . I look fabulous if a little heavier in the butt. It has a lot to do with the running. Keeps the legs and quads trimmed up. I'm happy. That's the good thing. I'll keep you posted on the weight loss. I've been tracking my foods and exersize with my daughter. She now lives 2 miles from me. 

HW/233 *  SW/212 * CW/133 *GW/132 * 100 Pounds of FAT gone FOREVER!

Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple~Dr.Suess            
Tracy D.
on 8/20/15 1:16 pm - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

Donna - always good to read about people further out than me who are fighting the good fight.  

I loved this sentence:  "We can say no. Whether we choose to or not is still up to us."  I also find that post-op it's easier physically to say "no" to food but I still battle the mental demons.  Those are the ones that get me to say "yes" to food even when I'm not hungry and know it's going to make me feel like crap. No surgery in the world is going to make beating those demons back a lot easier. Which is why it can't be the only tool in the tool belt.  

Thanks for coming back and inspiring us!  

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

CincySlvd
on 8/20/15 1:26 pm - OH
VSG on 04/24/12

The mental thing didn't go away for me, but it has gotten much easier.  I'm more aware of it now than ever which helps.

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 90 views