getting back on track

andkel30
on 8/23/15 6:11 pm - mesquite, TX

I am 3 years out from surgery VSG I my HW 248 LW 140 CW176 I never ate correctly. I now want to take responsibility for getting my weight down. my question is what diet should I start with meaning what foods should I be eating  and staying away from. I don't know if my sleeve still works I graze all the time with chips and popcorn. How can I get my diet back on track and start losing again my goal now is to lose 16 pounds

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]
[img]http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/d/4;10731;131/st/20120222/e/Vsg+surgery/dt/-1/k/95f3/event.png[/img]
[/url]
Gwen M.
on 8/23/15 6:21 pm
VSG on 03/13/14

Way to go for your great weight loss!  And for recognizing that you need to get back on track.  

I think that you should start by tracking everything you put into your mouth with something like MyFitnessPal.  That'll show you what you're consuming and what you need to change, tweak.  From there, get back to your basics.  Here are mine, yours might be slightly different:  

1. Prioritize protein and water
2. Deprioritize carbs, especially the refined and processed ones
3. Make the most of healthy fats
4. Eat three meals a day with no snacks
5. Avoid liquid calories (breakfast protein shake is the exception)
6. Weigh portions, log everything consumed
7. Eat mindfully and with no distractions aside from real live people
8. Move as much as possible
9. Weigh myself daily
10. Be kind to myself

Chances are that your sleeve still "works" and this will become apparent once you start eating dense proteins again :)

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

cappy11448
on 8/23/15 7:08 pm

For me, I would never have succeeded without a low carb approach.  I think that if you white-knuckle it for a few days and stay really low carb, you can break the cravings and overcome the grazing.

My approach is 3 to 4 ounces of dense protein  and a small serving of a low-carb veggie per meal.  During weight loss, I had 3 meals a day.  Now in maintenance I have 4 meals a day.  There are lots of low-carb low calorie recipes out there.  I find I need to keep the foods interesting to help me resist the pizza and lasagna and all the other things I shouldn't eat. 

Good luck getting back on track. You can do it.  You still have the restriction. Just overcome the carb monster and you'll be on your way.

best wishes,

Carol

Surgery May 1, 2013. Starting Weight 385,  Surgery Weight 333,  Current Weight 160.  At GOAL!

Weight loss Pre-op 1-20 2-17 3-15 Post-op 1-20 2-18 3-15 4-14 5-16 6-11 7-12  8-8

9-11 10-7 11-7 12-7 13-8 14-6 15-3 16-7 17-3  18-3

(deactivated member)
on 8/23/15 7:29 pm

So, I'm one who has walked that walk. Like you I lost 108 pounds and put about the same amount back on. I used to be a volume eater, but turned into a grazer and a sugar-holic post VSG. I have done a lot of soul searching to figure out what the heck was going on inside my head causing me to eat the way I was eating. I certainly know how to eat properly, so why wasn't I? Right????

There are many ways to go about finding out why you are over eating and choosing to eat the "wrong" things. I would recommend that you do some work in this area in conjunction with getting back on a structured food plan. If you want some book recommendations, send me a PM.

As for a food plan: What I had to do to finally break the cycle for me was eliminate all added sugars and refined carbohydrates from my diet. (Please notice that I said refined carbs, not all carbs.) I'm 3.5 years out. I have great restriction, though at times I wouldn't have known it because refined carbs slide right on through the old sleeve. I can eat 1000+ calories of crap food in a single sitting, if I allow myself. When I eat VSG appropriate foods my meals usually stay in the 250-350 calorie range.

The other thing you need to understand is that you are not a NEWBIE. You won't be able to follow a newbie food plan. Don't even think about trying to follow a 600-800 calorie a day plan like you did before. It won't work. Eating that way will feel punitive and you'll get resentful and probably lose it and binge. Depending on your height, body structure and activity level and being in your early 40s, I'm going to suggest that you start at 1100-1200 calories per day and go from there. (I'm 51, heavy boned, muscular, but short. My NUT has me on 1300-1500 calorie range per day.)

Gwen gave you some good guidelines. I'd like to add a meal plan example that might help. It's what I'm doing and I'm on my way back to goal. (My surgeon says a goal of losing 20 lbs. every three months this far out is realistic and achievable.) I do not like eating in the morning. Never have. That is why I do the protein shake within an hour of getting up and have my real breakfast a little later.

Breakfast 1 - protein shake made with almond milk

Breakfast 2 - Greek Yogurt with 1/4 cup berries and 1 TBS chopped pecans or a 1 egg omelet with 1.5 oz meat and 1 oz cheese.

Lunch - 3-4- oz of lean, dense protein and 1/4 - 1/2 cup vegetable a serving (tsp-TBS) of healthy Fat.

Snack - cheese stick or 1 oz of nuts (if I'm particularly hungry I will add a low carb fruit or a salad.) On days that I am craving something sweet I have been given permission to eat a Quest bar, but the NUT suggests limiting to 4 per week. 

Dinner - Repeat of lunch

Evening Snack (if desired) - I usually have Greek yogurt again with some nuts. Whatever it is you choose, it needs to be protein centered, not carb centered. This is huge. You don't want to spike your blood sugar before bed if you are a grazer.

Of course, water, water, water! 64 oz minimum of straight, clean, unadulterated water.

I think you'll find that if you eliminate the processed and highly refined foods from your diet and commit to no added sugar in your foods you'll find that your restriction comes back with strength and your appetite will lessen tremendously. You may find it very, very hard to get rid of the sugar and processed foods. A good way to do this is by eating as much protein, vegetables and low sugar/low glycemic index fruit, nuts, and fat as you like for three days. After three days reduce your calorie intake and stay centered 100% on the protein and vegetables, dairy and nuts and just a little tiny bit of fruit.

I hope this helps coming from someone who has been exactly where you are today.

suziemart
on 8/24/15 8:54 am

Hi Kiark -

Thanks for your post. I have badly slipped off track and regained most my lost weight so I appreciate your thoughts/guidance. I especially like your menu plan sharing. Do you post on what are you eating today ever? I'm not crazy about yogurt but know it's an excellent and easy source of healthy protein...If I can plan what to eat the day before I do a lot better than if I try to "wing it"...

S.xo
HW: 296/SW:275/TW:174/GW:135

White Dove
on 8/23/15 10:15 pm - Warren, OH

You need about 1760 calories to stay at 176.  You will need about 1400 to stay at 140 or 1500 to stay at 150.  A rough estimate is to multiply your weight by 10. To lose the excess weight, give yourself one week per pound. 

Eliminate 500 calories per day or 3500 per week.  Use My Fitness Pal to track everything you eat or drink. 

Weigh yourself daily. 

I have tried every gimmick out there.  For me I can lose one pound a week if I stay 500 calories under what I need to maintain. 

If I want to I can get those calories from dense protein or from chocolate frosted brownies.  Your body will drop the weight when it gets less calories.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

jarabacoagirl
on 8/23/15 11:51 pm
VSG on 12/17/12

I totally understand.  I haven't logged in in months.  I'm right there with you.  I lost 104 pounds and regained about 22 I think.  I'm really worried.  So I'm following your post cause I need all the help I can get.  I'm 2 years 8 months post op. I maintained the WL for about 1 year and now I'm regaining.  Not good.  

HW 302 lbs SW  279.8 lbs.  CW  193.8 lbs   MFP Jarabacoagirl  Preop diets 22.2 lbs, 1st month 21.2 lbs, 2nd month 14.6 lbs,  3rd month 11.2 lbs, 4th month 7 lbs, 5th month 7 lbs, 6th month 6.8 lbs, 7th month 5.2 lbs, 8th month 4.4 lbs 9 and 10th months slowed down didn't record exactly

108.2 lbs lost from highest weight!

(86.2 lbs of that was lost since surgery date)

jarabacoagirl
on 8/23/15 11:59 pm
VSG on 12/17/12

FYI I'm not sure why my signature says I lost 108lbs.  But I don't think it's right.  i think it was 104.  

HW 302 lbs SW  279.8 lbs.  CW  193.8 lbs   MFP Jarabacoagirl  Preop diets 22.2 lbs, 1st month 21.2 lbs, 2nd month 14.6 lbs,  3rd month 11.2 lbs, 4th month 7 lbs, 5th month 7 lbs, 6th month 6.8 lbs, 7th month 5.2 lbs, 8th month 4.4 lbs 9 and 10th months slowed down didn't record exactly

108.2 lbs lost from highest weight!

(86.2 lbs of that was lost since surgery date)

Zope34
on 8/26/15 9:51 am

andkel, I am also trying to regain my control like you!  I did so well in the first few years but it's been much harder lately after having a baby and I have a husband who would rather eat carb-filled foods.  I've found that I tend to let myself eat what he's eating and allowing myself to just eat less of the carb portion such as pasta, bread, etc.  Unfortunately my body hates carbs and I have never been able to lose weight if my carb intake is too high (I guess I could say my body loves carbs and holds onto them tight!).  I need to get back to my clean eating of protein and veggies and remove the junk from my diet.  But it is so hard to get back on track!!  I know we can do it though!!  Take care and good luck!

andkel30
on 8/26/15 1:57 pm - mesquite, TX

I started back taking accountability for what Im eating. I have not been snacking and eating my protein tomorrow I will go to the grocery store and stock up on my protein and veggies...I feel very optimistic. and ready to get these pounds off. 

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]
[img]http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/d/4;10731;131/st/20120222/e/Vsg+surgery/dt/-1/k/95f3/event.png[/img]
[/url]
Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 72 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 272 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 329 views