Worst day of my life

LosinginAZ
on 1/20/16 8:04 am

So yesterday I had my surgery and my recovery has been horrendous. I am dry heaving non stop and just cannot get rid of the nausea. They have given me zofran, Phenergan and even something called taigen and I still am sick. I can't eat any of my clear liquids and can barely tolerate water. Please tell me this gets better, and when? I can't do another day like yesterday :(

Age: 34 / Height 5' 8" / Starting weight July 2015: 446.0 lbs / Surgery Date & Weight: 1/19/16 - 320.4 / Lost pre-op: 125.6lbs / Goal Weight: 180 lbs

timeforthis
on 1/20/16 8:12 am

I'm so sorry to hear this!!!  I believe it will get better!  Hang in there!  Thinking of you!!

White Dove
on 1/20/16 8:38 am - Warren, OH

I am so sorry.  The worst should be over.  The first time I had surgery was like that.  Now I am very insistent ahead of time that I do not want to have nausea after surgery and they make sure that I don't.

For anyone preparing for surgery, please tell the anesthesiologist that you are concerned about nausea and ask them to make sure it does not happen.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Nick S.
on 1/20/16 9:37 am, edited 1/20/16 1:37 am - Detroit, MI
VSG on 12/22/15

Ugh I know the pain you are going through, but trust me it will be over soon if you do the right things! As much as you possibly can, you absolutely have to get up and walk around to get the trapped gas out of your system.

For me, I felt horrendous nausea after surgery. I was given all the same anti nausea meds, but they really didn't help much. I believe the extreme nausea came from feeling the intense pain of the trapped gas stuck right behind my rib cage. I was given a strong pain med through my IV, I took a nap, and the minute I woke up I began walking immediately. I walked 10 steps, burped, walked some more, etc.

After all of the lots and lots of walking, I felt better the next day and only needed zofran and Tylenol for pain. 

It it will get better!

Heaviest: 335   Currently: 190

VSG in December 2015

lxl_Miz_lxl
on 1/20/16 9:42 am
VSG on 01/11/16

the scent of the anesthesia seemed to be what was making me feel queasy the most and using the incentive spirometer helped with that.. it does get better, good luck :) 

rhudson
on 1/20/16 11:11 am - Melrose Park, IL
VSG on 12/09/14

What finally helped my husband was that little sea sickness patch.  I requested one at the get go and never had an issue.

Surgery Date: 12/9/14 - Highest Weight: 349 - Surgery Weight: 305 - Current Weight: 137
Goal reached in 13 months - 212 total pounds lost including pre-op
(M1: -20) (M2: -18) (M3: -11) (M4: -11) (M5: -14) (M6: -1) (M7: -18) (M8: -7) (M9: -15)

(M10: -13) (M11: -7) (M12: -10) (M13: -10) (M14 -6) (M15: -7) - 168 lbs lost post-op

Sammy_85
on 1/20/16 12:19 pm - Canada
VSG on 01/19/16

My surgery was yesterday too and like you, I had horrible nausea. I couldn't even keep the water from an ice chip down! Today is so much better. They changed out one of the painkillers they were giving me that can cause nausea and that seemed to help. Walking also helped me and so did the breathing spirometer. The nausea is still not completely gone but it's greatly improved. Hang in there! It will get better soon! I know it's awful but it will be worth it in the end. PM me if you need someone to chat to.

Mamba
on 1/20/16 12:47 pm - Middlesboro, KY
VSG on 01/15/16

My surgery was Friday, I woke up in recovery doing the exact same thing! The patch behind the ear did nothing to help but it messed up my vision until they took it off. As soon as you can walk. That's the only thing that helped. Like Nick said, that first big burp is almost paradise.

Betty Philpot

Nick S.
on 1/20/16 7:00 pm - Detroit, MI
VSG on 12/22/15

That patch made my vision really screwy too. I had to take it off, it made me dizzy from turning my vision fuzzy and out of focus!

Heaviest: 335   Currently: 190

VSG in December 2015

JudithJohnson
on 1/20/16 1:47 pm, edited 1/20/16 5:48 am
VSG on 12/03/15

I had the intense dry heaving and nausea after the surgery. It got better when I went home. The breathing device helped me a great deal, and walking and eating ice chips helped me as well. The nausea will wear off, lots of deep, deep breathing to get it out of your system. It gets better! Hang in there, you made it to the other side of the surgery and your body is just reacting strongly to the anesthesia, I had the same thing. Deep breathing, use your breathing device and instead of water eat ice chips, which helped me a lot. You got this dear, you will feel so much better soon, I promise!

HUGS!

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 99 views