Water Causing Nausea

Trina R.
on 2/19/16 6:29 pm - St Louis, MO
VSG on 01/11/16

Hello All!

I was sleeved on 1/11 and it was smooth sailing for the first 3 weeks. Around the beginning of week 4, I began feeling nauseated every time I took a sip of water, and that has continued to be the case over the last few weeks. I've tried experimenting with different temperatures, as well as changing the flavor with Crystal Light.  I've also tried things like broth and coconu****er in place of regular water.  None of these changes helped to decrease the nausea. I know I'm not getting nearly enough fluids. My surgeon's office has provided the underwhelming response of "just try really hard" and given me the backup option of IV fluids at the ER. They told me that they've never before had a patient complain about nausea after drinking while experiencing no nausea when eating.  Has anyone else experienced this or have any other suggestions? 

Thank goodness for Obesity Help and these forums.  Your collective experience and willingness to share your knowledge has far surpassed any assistance I've received from my surgeon's office.

Many thanks,

Trina

lxl_Miz_lxl
on 2/19/16 6:53 pm
VSG on 01/11/16

are frozen pops, egg drop soup, or other types of soup an option?  maybe once you get more liquids in you'll feel better.. good luck

Trina R.
on 2/19/16 7:02 pm - St Louis, MO
VSG on 01/11/16

For the most part I've returned to the full liquids diet provided by my surgeon to try and make up for the fluids I'm missing. I've been doing a lot of soups, Greek yogurt and protein shakes. Given that thicker liquids don't cause any nausea, I'm wondering if it's the consistency that's an issue?

Thanks for your suggestions and well wishes!

Renren
on 2/19/16 8:41 pm
VSG on 12/02/15

I had a hard time in the first few weeks trying to drink water and would get very nauseated so I tried G2 (low sugar Gaterade) and Pedialite. I could sip them when everything else made me sick. I think I needed the electrolytes or my blood sugar was low, which for me seems to cause me to be queezy. You can also have sf jello, sf Popsicles, ice chips (they are the same as water 

5'2.5" Surgery date/ 12-02-15 Dr.Valentine Boise ID

Highest:289 SW/212 CW 122

Goal/125-130

Goal reached at 10 months

Trina R.
on 2/19/16 8:57 pm - St Louis, MO
VSG on 01/11/16

I haven't tried G2 yet because I noticed that sugar was the second ingredient. I've tried to avoid sugar as much as possible post-surgery, since sweets are my Achilles heel. I've been keeping my carbs to less than 40g per day, otherwise I start to crave carb-y foods.  At this point, my need to stay hydrated seems a higher priority.  I'll pick up some G2 tomorrow and give it a try. We're there flavors that you preferred?

Thanks so much for the suggestions!

Renren
on 2/20/16 2:03 pm
VSG on 12/02/15

One was orange or citrus flavored, the other was a fruit punch( sorry I can't remember the names, it's been a while ) Take small sips every few minutes , in the beginning staying hydrated is a full time job. It gets better, now I can drink a 16.9 ounce bottle of plain water in 30 minutes, if it's not too cold. Good luck

5'2.5" Surgery date/ 12-02-15 Dr.Valentine Boise ID

Highest:289 SW/212 CW 122

Goal/125-130

Goal reached at 10 months

Trina R.
on 2/20/16 5:09 pm - St Louis, MO
VSG on 01/11/16

I picked up some grape flavored G2 this afternoon and I've been able to drink a 20 oz. bottle over the past 3 hours. Only minor nausea so far,which is a huge improvement! Thanks again for the suggestion!

kyzze
on 2/19/16 9:29 pm
VSG on 12/29/15 with

Sugar free popsicles helped me.

LeapSecond
on 2/20/16 3:36 pm - AR

Water never sets well with me.  Newly post op I drank ginger with lemon and sweetened with stevia.  The ginger helped settle my stomach.  I still drink lemon sweetened with stevia in my water.  I get over 100 oz drinking it this way.  Hope that helps.  Dehydration can cause nausea too.

HW=362(6/14) SW=314(9/14) GW=195 CW=270 (1-26-2020)

Trina R.
on 2/20/16 5:15 pm - St Louis, MO
VSG on 01/11/16

I've been able to keep some low sugar G2 down today with minimal nausea. But a 20 oz. bottle has 12 grams of sugar, so I'd prefer to find another option if this continues to be an issue. When you say that you drank ginger, do you mean ginger tea or something else?

Thanks for your suggestions!

Trina