Cold Feet????

Newchapter
on 3/13/16 8:49 pm
VSG on 03/23/16

After many years of wishing I could have surgery, and  a long process of ups and downs, I got the call on 3/4 that I was approved. My surgery is set for 3/23.  I went from complete shock, to an emotional mess caused from the relief of knowing I am being given a fresh start to a grueling life long struggle. I....was on cloud 9. Then I started the pre op diet and reality set in. MY SURGERY IS SET FOR 3/23!!!  I have done a complete turn around. A dream that I never thought possible is coming true, so why am I scared to death?  

Pricey172
on 3/13/16 11:16 pm, edited 3/13/16 4:13 pm
VSG on 03/08/16

Same thing happened to me, but I overcame my fears and sucked it up. Its natural to be scared when you step outside the box or what we call normal. I had my surgery on 3/9/16 after waiting 18 months for the insurance company to give me the approval. I was scared because it was something new that I was about to experience. I wasn't scared of the surgery per se, I was scared of change. I started thinking about how my life would change drastically, but all for the better. I thought about what it was going to do for me, and even thought of all the food that I love to eat was no longer going to be an option. After thinking all of the negative thoughts I could possibly think about. I finally snapped out of it and came to my reality by settting my mind on all of the positives about what I was about to do and it relieved me of my nervousness and being scared. You will be fine. Just focus on the positives and leave all of the negative behind you.

Newchapter
on 3/14/16 9:11 am
VSG on 03/23/16

I think you nailed it. I'm not necessarily scared of the surgery itself. Just the change and all the "what ifs" that come with it. Thank you for your reply. 

cappy11448
on 3/14/16 12:38 am

Its totally normal to be scared.  I think we all go thru it.  Take a deep breath and remember that most people come thru the surgery with little or no problems. I had very little pain, no nausea (thanks to the strong anti-nausea drugs I requested).  I felt like I had the flu for 3 days - headachy and groggy.  But by day 5, I was back to myself.  The small number who have complications have a harder time, but still come thru it ok, for the most part.  Plus the health risks due to obesity are much worse than the health risks from surgery. 

I was so afraid of surgery that I waited until I was 63 and so obese that I was facing a downward spiral of failing health and early death.  I am so glad I had the surgery.  I lost 225 pounds, and went from a BMI of 60 to a BMI of 24.  I wear normal-sized clothing, I fit in an airplane seat.  I can take the strenuous tours when I travel and keep up with the best of them.  Where it used to hurt to walk 50 steps, I can now walk miles without pain.  No more CPAP,  No more high blood pressure. 

So don't let the fears get the better of you.  You'll do great, and you'll be so happy you did it as your health and appearance improve.

best wishes,

Carol

Surgery May 1, 2013. Starting Weight 385,  Surgery Weight 333,  Current Weight 160.  At GOAL!

Weight loss Pre-op 1-20 2-17 3-15 Post-op 1-20 2-18 3-15 4-14 5-16 6-11 7-12  8-8

9-11 10-7 11-7 12-7 13-8 14-6 15-3 16-7 17-3  18-3

Newchapter
on 3/14/16 9:16 am
VSG on 03/23/16

Wow. Great Job!!  And thank you for sharing. Its so easy to forget why I started the process in the first place. 

(deactivated member)
on 3/14/16 4:59 am

It is a big change when a dream suddenly becomes reality. When the fantasy hits the reality and we think of things beyond being thin, like actual surgery and then the future of caring for ourselves in a far better way than we did before. It's a huge change and a big responsibility to ourselves that we are committing to. That said as you go through the pre-op diet, think of packing your bag for the hospital and buy the supplies, plan food etc for after surgery step by step you will settle into the new way your life will be.

For some people being scared to death is very normal and part of actually doing this. Better to really face it than go into it "blind" and then have the shock afterwards and regret doing this. You will do just fine and before long you will be back here telling us how glad you are the surgery is over and you are enjoying your weight loss and your new life.

Glad that your wait will soon be over and wishing all the very best with your surgery and your "new life".

Newchapter
on 3/14/16 9:22 am
VSG on 03/23/16

Thank you so much for replying. I have been trying to plan ahead. It's just getting all so overwhelming. Who knew there were a trillion different protein shakes, powders and bars to choose from? I'm probably overthinking everything, but  I just want to make sure I do everything right from the beginning. 

JP807
on 3/14/16 5:10 am
VSG on 04/21/16

I am right there with you! I am scheduled for 4/21 and the reality of it does certainly scare me.  I think the reality of missing the food you will not be able or do not want to eat anymore.  However, many I have talked to about it always claim it will now give you the oppurtunity to change what you always wanted t change about you.   I am too excited and scared, I am letting God take the wheel here and am sure I will be a better person for it when it is all said and done.  Let's do it! 

Good Luck!

Newchapter
on 3/14/16 9:23 am
VSG on 03/23/16

Thank you so much for sharing. I'm glad to know I'm not the only one. Good luck to you on your big day and new life

BREE_
on 3/14/16 5:13 am
VSG on 03/21/16

I was the same way last week! i was overthinking it and then i got up and looked and myself and said you did all this all the steps and doctors appt just to have this done and its going to be sooo worth it! my surgery date is 321 and im on my second week on the liquid diet the 3rd day was the hardest for me but then like everyone said it gets easier and now i feel like timing is flying. can u believe we are having surgery next week!!  its amazing and im sooo excited now my life is going to change for the better and so will yours! best of luck -keep me posted :)

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 179 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 451 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 476 views