Losing Control..... Need HELP please! :)

Karen H.
on 5/27/16 9:26 pm
VSG on 12/08/14

Thank you so much for the suggestions. I will slowly take the calories away. I went back and read my previous post. I did not make it clear,,,, sorry... I gained a total of 11 lbs in the last six months. 5 of those 11 lbs came on in the last 3 weeks. First thing, I'm getting rid of the bad carbs and tracking my calories. There is no telling how many calories I have had in the last few weeks! Thanks again... I will get this under control. This is the biggest set back I've had since surgery. But I'm learning my limits now. :) Thanks again! :)

Karen H.
on 5/27/16 9:43 pm
VSG on 12/08/14

Thank you so much for the suggestions. :) I never heard that before.... needing 10 calories a day for every pound I maintain.  That was good to know. :) So, I weigh 151 now... I need to drop to 1200 calories? right? I went back and read my previous post which was confusing. I actually gained 11 lbs since Dec. 5 of those 11 lbs in the last 3 weeks. There is no telling how many calories I took in! :(  So, do I drop 500 calories a day until I stop losing, then drop another 500? Is that how is goes?? I'm learning! Thanks again for all your help! :)  

White Dove
on 5/28/16 12:40 am - Warren, OH

When you get to 130 pounds you will need 1300 calories a day to maintain that weight.  The less you weigh the fewer calories needed to maintain.

To lose a pound a week, go to 1000 calories a day.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 5/27/16 9:49 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

I think you've basically answered your own question!

1-- Track your food.

2-- Drop the carbs. (If they're not in your house, you can't eat them!)

3-- Exercise. Even a walk will do you good.

4-- Measure your portions. Grab the measuring cups and spoons and be exact.

5-- Limit your calories, which comes hand-in-hand with numbers 1 and 4.

No, you pretty much can't stretch your sleeve. Your capacity does increase as everything heals and relaxes, but no, you haven't undone your surgery.

Carbs can make you hungry. Going cold turkey is the best way to handle it, even though it sucks.

Re-make that surgeon appointment ASAP. They've seen regain before, there's no shame because you're getting on top of it. Your doctor can help you make sure your plan is good, that your health otherwise checks out, and that you'll be able to get back to where you need to be.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

Karen H.
on 5/28/16 6:43 am
VSG on 12/08/14

Thank you so much!!! I will call the doctor back on Monday. :) 

cappy11448
on 5/27/16 10:35 pm

No, you haven't ruined your stomach.  Your restriction is still working - but you have to follow the rules and eat dense protein first, and avoid liquids during meals, and avoid grazing. 

I'm three years post op, and I will gain a few pounds and have to get back on track periodically.  My first move is to cut the carbs.  Carbs cause cravings for me big time, so its all over if I'm eating carbs.  Then I cook lots of healthy, low carb and low calorie foods, like crack slaw,  chicken in spicy peanut sauce, chicken and broccoli casserole, low carb meatballs, etc.  If I have enjoyable, healthy meals readily available, I am more likely to succeed. 

Then I weigh and log everything I eat so I don't fool myself.  I keep my calorie intake to about 800 to 1000 calories a day, and the weight comes off slowly.

You can do it!  Its great that you are addressing this at 10 pounds rather than later. 

best wishes,

Carol

Surgery May 1, 2013. Starting Weight 385,  Surgery Weight 333,  Current Weight 160.  At GOAL!

Weight loss Pre-op 1-20 2-17 3-15 Post-op 1-20 2-18 3-15 4-14 5-16 6-11 7-12  8-8

9-11 10-7 11-7 12-7 13-8 14-6 15-3 16-7 17-3  18-3

Karen H.
on 5/28/16 6:40 am
VSG on 12/08/14

Carol,,, you may have hit the nail that  caused me to get off track. My meal planning was terrible,,,, well BORING might be the better word! Turkey meatballs daily for six weeks!! Got bored and ate what was in front of me,,, packs of wheat crackers ,,, which led into another pack and another. Boredom to Carbs!! I'm interested in your recipes for chicken in hot peanut sauce and your crack slaw. Would you mine sharing the recipes with me? Thank you so much for your input,,,, so helpful!! :)

cappy11448
on 5/28/16 7:17 am

I've posted a lot of my favorite recipes on the recipe forum.  Its a good place to get ideas.

best of luck with your weight loss.

Carol

http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/recipe/5360616/Chicken-in- Spicy-Peanut-Sauce/

http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/recipe/5360620/Crack-Slaw/

Surgery May 1, 2013. Starting Weight 385,  Surgery Weight 333,  Current Weight 160.  At GOAL!

Weight loss Pre-op 1-20 2-17 3-15 Post-op 1-20 2-18 3-15 4-14 5-16 6-11 7-12  8-8

9-11 10-7 11-7 12-7 13-8 14-6 15-3 16-7 17-3  18-3

Donna L.
on 5/28/16 10:02 am - Chicago, IL
Revision on 02/19/18

Hey, all of us have made mistakes!  It's good you sought out help.  I do the exact same thing.  That is what support groups or for!  I think it was courageous of you to post. :)

A diet high in carbohydrate causes you to retain fluid.  Glycogen is stored bonded to water, and when you eat a lower carb diet, the body expends this glycogen which results in the rapid weight loss of the first two weeks all low carb diets are known for.  A chunk of your recent weight gain is likely from carbs.  Insulin also stimulates hunger, so the more carbohydrate you eat, the more likely you will be hungry, smaller stomach and less ghrelin, aside.

It's extremely difficult to stretch the stomach.  The part of the stomach that was stretchy (the fundus) was primarily removed.  It's more likely that the thing is you are just eating around the sleeve.  Carbs are also very easy to overeat; I could easily even just 11 months out eat 2 cups of rice before being full, but maybe 1/2-3/4 cup of protein.  When we chew very well we eat slower, but carbs also get broken down a lot more before they hit the stomach - a pack of peanut crackers is "smaller" in your stomach by volume than 1/2 cup of meat would be.

I think you are already getting back on track posting here.  Remake the appointment, and confront things head on despite being nervous.  And remember there are lots of us who are here to support you:)

I follow a ketogenic diet post-op. I also have a diagnosis of binge eating disorder. Feel free to ask me about either!

It is not that we have so little time but that we lose so much...the life we receive is not short but we make it so; we are not ill provided but use what we have wastefully. -- Seneca, On the Shortness of Life

Laura in Texas
on 5/29/16 6:06 am

You made a list so you do know what you are doing wrong. Stop doing those things.

1. Track your food.
  2. Stop letting carbs back in your life ... such as packs of peanut butter crackers.
  3. Exercise
  4. Smaller portions
  5. Limit calorie intake.

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 61 views